The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #15
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Besides gear, I also recommend a riding course such as those offered by MSF. Spend some time looking at, and sitting on, used bikes. Dropping a new sport bike is expensive and disappointing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
In this era of massive cell phone use/texting by drivers....I'd buy a beater, commuter car and be done with it. FAR safer than being a new bike rider in traffic.

I rode for 30+ years and gave it up just a few years back. Had far too many close calls, most by kids on cell phones or texting. I could go on with an explanation but too time consuming.

All I will say is had I not been on the ball...the last incident would have surely been fatal. Teenager texting from the moment she left her home. Almost T-boned me in an intersection at 45-50 mph.

Motorcycles are not for everyone.

IF You do give bikes a try...Take the MSC Course , do some riding with an experienced SAFE rider so he can evaluate your skills....And buy QUALITY safety gear. ALL that separates Your skin from the grinding wheel like pavement is your gear.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #17
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I'm a survivor of a terrible wreck on a bike and still ride, but it's not for everyone. Gear isn't optional. Well, if you want to live it isn't. Start with a standard or "naked" bike as plastics are insanely expensive to fix/replace. The R3 is a great bike. My girl started on a 250 Ninja and a XT250 dual sport. You don't need 70+hp to ride on the street.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #18
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
I'm stuck between a Yamaha R3 (300cc) or maybe even a Kawasaki Ninja 250r.
What kind of price range are you looking at? You should look at the Ninja 300's instead. They are a much better bike than the 250's and you can get one used for under $4k. I'm a Ninja fan myself but you can't go wrong with either one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver-SS View Post
WAY too small of a engine for hwy speeds. With a slight head wind you won't even be able to keep up with traffic. My 1st street bike was a 600 V Twin.. what a joke on the hwy. Dangerously under powered.

The Ninja 300 maxs out at just over 110 mph. It is very much capable of interstate speeds. I ride mine to work occasionally and have no issues what so ever running 80 mph on the interstate even with a head wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMorse View Post
I wouldn't get anything less than a 600 if I was on the highway a lot. Anything too light will get blown around by big rigs and wind. Any variant of 600cc sport bike will be fine
Sorry but bull crap.

The listed weight of the Ninja 300 is 380 lbs with all the fluids. The listed weight of the Ninja ZX6 is 420 lbs. 40 lbs is not enough to affect the buffeting you feel from big rigs or cross winds.

Quote:
That being said, one thing you MUST do is invest in some high quality riding gear. The best stuff out there is the Motoport kevlar gear, but that's not cheap. Get a very nice helmet (going cheap not only is bad protection wise, but also fit and wind noise will be a problem), gloves, jacket, pants (jeans don't cut it) and boots. If you don't think investing in gear is worthy, I'll give you 20 bucks to run as fast as you can and dive headfirst into the street. If you think that would hurt, try it at 70.
Completely agree with this. Please don't be one of those idiots that ride with just a helmet, t shirt, jeans and sneakers. Quality gear isn't cheap, expect to spend $1,500-$2k on a complete set of decent gear but it is cheaper than the alternative. I have a buddy that was involved in a low slide at about 30 mph. He was just wearing his helmet, jeans and a long sleeve shirt. The road rash he received put him in the hospital for 3 months and he's getting ready to have his 5th skin graft done. So far his hospital bills even after what his insurance covered is more than what his house cost. All because he said gear costs too much and he couldn't afford it.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #19
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
R3 all the way!!! Great track bike as well!!! Don't let anyone fool you into thinking it will not be enough bike for you. Once you are acclimated to it, you may want to upgrade... until then, take your MSF class, get your endorsement, and try to enjoy searching for the bike you decide on!

Last edited by flipstyledsm22; 03-08-2017 at 11:21 AM.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #20
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
Don't have a crazy amount of riding experience (10 or so years here) but I can chime in on the daily commuting on a sport bike. I have had my 2012 Yamaha R6 since new and can tell you that if you want to daily this, don't lol. The riding position is. not. ergonomic. Unless you're on a track of course then it's amazing. The 300cc bikes have a way better riding position and listen to everyone when they say invest in quality gear. I've personally cut back on riding as I am getting utterly annoyed with ppl not paying attention while driving. Whatever you decide, enjoy it and congrats on the new job
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #21
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Awesome advice from everyone thanks a ton.

Yeah the R6 looking at like 10 different Youtube views and research on the R6 forums they complain about ... low speed driveability? I didn't even know that was a thing with bikes, I guess the R6 wants to go fast ... everywhere, cruising speeds like 10-30mph sucks ... at least that's what they say on the forums. Not to mention the riding position is way too forward, you're right on that.

It seems like the R3 is the perfect sports bike for me. It's cool looking, hopefully I can get 55mpg+ out of it if I cruise.

The riding gear is without question something I'll be jumping on for sure.

Uh yeah that's horrifying about the crash thing... jesus dude that's scary.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
This was my baby and I miss her everyday.

Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #23
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:

Yeah the R6 looking at like 10 different Youtube views and research on the R6 forums they complain about ... low speed driveability? I didn't even know that was a thing with bikes, I guess the R6 wants to go fast ... everywhere, cruising speeds like 10-30mph sucks ... at least that's what they say on the forums. Not to mention the riding position is way too forward, you're right on that.

It seems like the R3 is the perfect sports bike for me. It's cool looking, hopefully I can get 55mpg+ out of it if I cruise.

MSF course, M endorsement, and gear

Once you get all that and have rode the bike for a little, put it on a trailer and do a group ride with us in Brenham, TX! I'll trailer my bike there as well... it'll be a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
This was my baby and I miss her everyday.

That's WAY too much bike for him and it cost WAY too much for him to maintain. I love the way the Aprilia's sound BTW!!!

Last edited by flipstyledsm22; 03-08-2017 at 11:21 AM.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #24
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
R3 or a Ninja 300 would be my choices. If you could pick up a slightly used 04 to 08 Suzuki GS500F, that would be about the perfect bike for you.

Buying new, you'll never get your investment back... tires, oil changes, filters, brake pads, helmet, jackets... and just general maintenance and farkles... bikes are an endless money pit, worse than cars.

Don't cheap out on gear... gloves, jackets, overpants, or helmets.

The best, and only jacket you'll ever buy... http://www.motoport.com/

I still have my Kevlar Mesh II... it's 12 years old! I've only had to have 2 zippers replaced.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #25
Dmpsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
MSR course, M endorsement, and gear

Once you get all that and have rode the bike for a little, put it on a trailer and do a group ride with us in Brenham, TX! I'll trailer my bike there as well... it'll be a blast.

That's WAY too much bike for him and it cost WAY too much for him to maintain. I love the way the Aprilia's sound BTW!!!
Post #1,000

Old 03-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #26
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
Quote:

They are correct about the low speed. R6 is very twitchy with the throttle. I don't think you can go wrong with the R3 honestly.
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #27
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
You can put risers on just about any bike, raising the bars to a more neutral riding position... Google Heli-Bars. You can also put a "throttle tamer" on as well, to take out some of the "jerkiness" of the throttle... it changes the "switch" on/off of throttles.

Any bike can be customized anymore to fit anyone... these days.

https://www.helibars.com/

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-yamaha-r1-r6

I've been riding for years... ask away...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #28
Dmpsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post

I've been riding for years... ask away...
Awesome. So I've been researching for like ehhh about 2 weeks now. I'm pretty much set on a Yamaha R3 (used)

I'll shop around for sure.

Pretty much the goal here is to commute and then sell the bike in a couple years. I wont put a price on safety, so I'll get whatever riding gear is necessary.

On some ridingworld forums they mention to invest in some like neon lights that light up under the bike for night use, recommend or nah?

R3 seems perfect for me, I'm short (5'7) and don't want to speed, just cruise on a sweet bike to work and get awesome mpg.