The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-27-2021, 07:48 AM   #1
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
The Future of the V8-At Least Mercedes Gets It

Glad to see someone recognizes the appeal and demand. Are you listening, GM?

"I think there will be a future, yes," Schiemer said. "I think for the next ten years we will see the V-8s, for sure. We have a lot of customers who love their cars and I still think that we will see those people buying the [V-8] cars for a long time."

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/me...next-ten-years
Old 09-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
Moto-Mojo

The Future of the V8-At Least Mercedes Gets It

I posted this in the Off Topic section but I think it should be seen here too. The subject strikes a chord with us CAMARO owners. Are you listening, GM?!

"I think there will be a future, yes," Schiemer said. "I think for the next ten years we will see the V-8s, for sure. We have a lot of customers who love their cars and I still think that we will see those people buying the [V-8] cars for a long time."

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/me...next-ten-years
Old 09-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
For american consumers, we will see new v8's in one or two performance cars and trucks. Its ashame that the v8's will become almost extinct since we've improved their performance and manufacturing, but everything else remains to be seen.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I think the move to electric is gonna fizzle big time.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
Moto-Mojo

There was a time when “Big Oil” swung a big enough stick that they would squash something like electric cars. I’m not sure if it’s the ‘sea change’ (didn’t want to say, ‘politics’) of it all, a waning petroleum infrastructure or the trillions of $ that seem to grow on trees being given to big oil to accept and make the change.

I was curious about the demographic of a Mercedes buyer. “The average Mercedes-Benz customer was 54.6 years old last year.” According to a Google. That explains a lot. What is that, Gen X? I’m tellin ya boys, when that demographic is gone, horses - real ones, will probably be back!
Old 09-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
It's all about the market. Manufacturers aren't stupid; they won't make something that no one wants. The reason why the market is being inundated with SUVs and an increase in EVs is because people want them. As the technology for electric cars improve (such as Toyota's R&D of solid state batteries), the demand will increase.

To be perfectly honest, I could give a falling fig about car engine technology. My only concern is affordability, reliability, and ease of maintenance. It still boggles my mind that manufacturers aren't churning out more big-engine gas vehicles with so many people still desirous to purchase/drive them. Maybe we're misreading the market?
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #7
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Drives: Nightfall Gray Camaro 1SS
Really sad but true. There is obviously a market for these still and they keep being refined. It seems more to be people hopping on to a philosophy instead of working to make a known, rocksteady product even better. Normally GM would be called a clown for taking so long to catch up to what is considered the norm but here we are.

I still wonder how quickly things will be done and sealed. If the V8 will just become more niche and remain with high output products that sell well or they literally just give up on literal decades of what worked for them.

2016 NFG 1SS M6
JLT Intake, LT2 Manifold, LT5 TB, CSP 2" headers, AWE Catback Exhaust, Apex ARC-8 Wheels.
426whp/434wtq
Danew_377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
Moto-Mojo

I see the EV thing is almost wagging the dog. They are certainly nothing new but their mass appeal to date can be argued was only tepid, at best. But I also realize that there needed to be a test track and evolutionary cycle to improve the product. So are the manufacturers manufacturing EV‘s or are they manufacturing the demand for EV ‘s?

I would admit though, it’s inevitable that they will eventually make up a huge segment of the new car market.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #9

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It's obvious the game is rigged to eliminate ICE.

It won't matter what the demand is or how good a potential market may be for V8s. The goal is to eliminate them no matter what. GM and others will take perfectly good ICE technology and throw it all away. EVs and electricity may become too expensive and unaffordable for the average driver. No matter, take the bus.

ICE and V8s will no longer be available. Mission accomplished.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #10
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I work in oil and gas. Don’t worry we will be around for a long time. Everything used to build that fruity EV comes from oil in some way or another.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #11
Moto-Mojo

I posted this to the general forum too because I just figured V-8’s are near and dear to most of us here. But I said this there:

I see the EV thing is almost wagging the dog. They are certainly nothing new but their mass appeal to date can be argued was only tepid, at best. But I also realize that there needed to be a test track and evolutionary cycle to improve the product. So are the manufacturers manufacturing EV‘s or are they manufacturing the demand for EV ‘s?

I would admit though, it’s inevitable that they will eventually make up a huge segment of the new car market.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #12
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
. It still boggles my mind that manufacturers aren't churning out more big-engine gas vehicles with so many people still desirous to purchase/drive them. Maybe we're misreading the market?
CAFE standards interfere with the market. A given manufacturer's "fleet" must meet a certain average fuel economy. You have to offset the sales of big engine stuff by selling more little engine stuff. If your fleet doesn't hit the target, you have to pay fines.

Mercedes used to just pay the fines, maybe they are willing to return to that.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #13
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
CAFE standards interfere with the market. A given manufacturer's "fleet" must meet a certain average fuel economy. You have to offset the sales of big engine stuff by selling more little engine stuff. If your fleet doesn't hit the target, you have to pay fines.

Mercedes used to just pay the fines, maybe they are willing to return to that.
People yawned in 2012
Quote:
Obama Administration Finalizes Historic 54.5 MPG Fuel Efficiency Standards

Consumer Savings Comparable to Lowering Price of Gasoline by $1 Per Gallon by 2025

WASHINGTON, DC – The Obama Administration today finalized groundbreaking standards that will increase fuel economy to the equivalent of 54.5 mpg for cars and light-duty trucks by Model Year 2025. When combined with previous standards set by this Administration, this move will nearly double the fuel efficiency of those vehicles compared to new vehicles currently on our roads. In total, the Administration’s national program to improve fuel economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions will save consumers more than $1.7 trillion at the gas pump and reduce U.S. oil consumption by 12 billion barrels.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #14
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I work in oil and gas. Don’t worry we will be around for a long time. Everything used to build that fruity EV comes from oil in some way or another.
Very true.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote