Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Finally Added Some LEDs

After much consideration, I got off my butt and decided to install some interior (footwell) lights and some grille lights. Purchased the OPT7 Aura All-Color LED kit with 4 strips for the interior, and a set off blue outdoor LEDs for the grille. Install was super easy thanks to the plethora of DIY write ups on this forum. Even though you guys weren't in the garage, you were there in spirit!

Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Looks good. I really like the interior lighting, flows well with the stock lighting.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
flows well with the stock lighting.
'Thank you! It's the multi-color set inside, so while I'll probably keep the "Ice Blue" setting, it can be changed to just about any other color. It also fades to white when i open the door, and back to the last setting (color) when I close it.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
That is awesome. How difficult was the install? I know you said easy, trying to get a better idea of what is involved.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:28 AM   #5
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Which diy did you use ..
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #6
Junior

Difficulty-wise, I'd say a 5 out of ten. Conceptually the footwell job is super easy. Physically it is a major pain, unless you are a 5' contortionist. I like to have my installs as clean and professional looking as possible. So I found myself headfirst, facing upwards in the footwells. This is not ideal for one's back. The footwell install was entirely inside the cabin, as the power needed (switched) was in the dash fuse panel, and the dome light wire tap was under the steering wheel. The LED strips were super easy to install with the supplied 3M tape, but I also used zip ties for extra support. The grille lights we a bit easier to install, but harder to keep the wires dressed nicely. Although I was able to, it was a pain to run the wires safely out of the way and keep them looking like they belonged. I used liquid electrical tape for the splices behind the grille, as they would be exposed to the elements. I ran the power from the grille lights to the post on the engine bay fuse panel. Then to a switch in the cabin. I used a hole next to the cabin filter (it's under the passenger side cowl) to pull the wires in for the switch. You can see the switch in my footwell photo. I wanted it easily accessible while behind the wheel, so I put it on the side of the center console near where my thigh would be.

Regarding what DIYs; I literally read just about every grille lighting DIY, every footwell lighting DIY, every engine bay to cabin through firewall thread, etc. Each thread had insight not mentioned in the last. It helps to read as many opinions, experiences, and techniques as possible.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Looking Good ! Keep it going and move on to the engine bay !
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Looking good !! Nicely done...
Old 11-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #9
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I have pretty much the same floor lighting kit and placed my switch in the same spot lol. Looks good
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #10
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I love LED's. And Multi color, usually run the Purple. No Blue or Red in the Front as the Po-Po's don't like that and get's you a ticket.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #11
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
I love LED's. And Multi color, usually run the Purple. No Blue or Red in the Front as the Po-Po's don't like that and get's you a ticket.
Very nice, same here, love the RGB's. What are you using for a controller?
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:30 AM   #12
hesster

Fog and Headlamp Halo's are hard wired and activated by a push button in the bottom of the 1st pic of my previous post. I'd say these mods are a very difficult installation.

Afterburner Tail lamp LEDs are also a PIA, as you have to cut up the lamp assembly.

Side vent and CAI box LEDs have a small controller. Tedious installation and required cutting up and extending the existing wiring, and using some epoxy to assure the led strips stay put.

The Mail Slot LED bar also has a remote controller to set the flash pattern.

Although LEDs have low Amp draw, they will drain down the battery at a all day car show.. Camaro's do not like low battery voltage and can throw codes (as I earned the hard way), so they have their own battery and charge port to power them.

These Mods get a lot of attention and comments at the car shows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30271015027...kcid=2&itemid=

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2022, 10:53 PM   #13
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yeah I guess mine is much the same altho I have done headlights/fogs twice as I was not satisfied with the look of the original rings.The individual LED's were too noticable imo so I went with a different ring/diffuser set up the next time round. I also started out with a hard wired controller for the headlight/fogs but switched to a rf controller later on. I have run LED strips around the 4 sides of the engine bay and also done the grill lighting mounted on the back side of the crash bar, also rf contoller but separate from headlight/fog.I think I have the exact same mail slot led set as you altho I don't use them much as they are a bit tempermental at times. They sometimes lose there memory of last pattern used and when switched back on may be a different random pattern lol.I have not done the tailights yet also I may some day. Ifeel your pain, doing the fogs is the same headache. Also using the same switches as you(19mm), one is grill and other is headlight/fog.
Attached Images

davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:55 AM   #14
hesster

I like your set up Dave, but some Cops can be a PIA on anything red in the front of the car. Or could you argue it is maybe "Orange"?