Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
jbynum69
God of thunder

Drives: 95 Mustang GT
would you buy it if its made in australia?

this thread is to see if you would still be as passionate(fanatical) about the new camaro if gm desided to build it in australia.

In my opinion (and is just me and my opinion so don't get offended) I see the camaro as a part of american history and should be built as such> I know that the frame is designed in australia but does this need to be? I would love to see america getting back to its roots and step up and show the world we are proud to say MADE IN AMERICA and build our cars starting in 09 in american factories like the days of ole. I know some are already saying that the camaro is a canadian biuld but wait the camaro has always been a symbol for american bad ass muscle to run rings around the fords and mopar drivers.
I just would like also to admit that I was a previous owner to a 05 gto (BAD ASS) but was still saying the same thing every time I looked at it its not a gto its a cavalier on crack !!

camaro's ,mustangs ,corvettes, gto's, trans ams, and challengers(they need the cuda back)are all american rides not australian or rice burning japanese cars or this new generations pimp my crap with all the thugged out gold and diamond spinners that is on every white kids car now a days.

Well back to my answer : I will NOT buy it if it is produced in australia and wish that gm and ford would realize to put american cars back on top stop building them in other countries.

american born and proud of it!!!

My first car was a 72 ss
I've owned 9 camaro's over the yrs...:
jbynum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
I totally agree with the “Made in USA” statement but yes I would buy it if it was made in Australia... Holden produces some kick ass vehicles and always has... Just remember this, 60% + of the Camaro is going to be made in the U.S. by American auto workers, the rest from Mexico, Canada, and yes even Asian countries. Besides, before to long everything is going to be made in India and China, got to love “Globalization”...

Last edited by KILLER74Z28; 01-25-2007 at 12:50 AM.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
well I would still buy it but it should be made in america. and it is going to be.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I beleive in buying AMERICAN as well, but what Killer said is true. I'd still buy one w/out hesitation if it were made in Australia. It's still a badass Camaro!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:09 AM   #5
highflyinbean

Drives: Sold 1996 Camaro
Ok... I like to think that things are "american made" as well, but most of the parts in the car will not be.

Also, the camaro has been made in Canada = not USA!
highflyinbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
yep - the 3rd gen was built in Canada, how American is that?

IMO the whole 'BUY AMERICAN' thing is dead. Show me any vehicle that is 100% US made, parts & assembly....

They have been building many parts, including motors in places like Mexico for so many years now, the lines are blurred.

Once the big three began joint ventures like NUMMI (GM/Toyota) back in the 1980's it is all bets off IMO. People need to scrape that UAW BUY USA crap off of their old rusty chrome bumpers
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I'm buying one for two very good reasons;

1. It's a CAMARO!!!

2. It's a Chevrolet!

That's all that matters to me.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
Bowtie Guy Z28

Drives: 98' Z28 08 CC Z71 2010 SS/RS
I have no beef with the Aussies!

As long as it's a Camaro and has the Bowtie on, as MOOSE stated, I will be buying that Camaro!!
Bowtie Guy Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
As much as I would like to "keep the money in America", it is really hard to do so anymore with regard to basic factory labor. The UAW has created a terrible situation for every American autoworker. Now Americans are losing their jobs because manufacturers simply can not afford their labor rates while controlling costs. The result is many manufacturers setting up shop in Mexico, Canada, and elsewhere.

Personally, if it if going to come down to a significant amount of savings, I have no problem buying a problem that was assembled in Australia or Canada as long as the quality is equal to or greater than its American counterpart.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
I agree as long as it is a bowtie and a Camaro I will buy it.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
alleykt123
err… MEOW!

Drives: 2005 GTO
Send a message via AIM to alleykt123 Send a message via Yahoo to alleykt123
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
I totally agree with the “Made in USA” statement but yes I would buy it if it was made in Australia... Holden produces some kick ass vehicles and always has... ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I'm buying one for two very good reasons;

1. It's a CAMARO!!!

2. It's a Chevrolet!

That's all that matters to me.
I currently have an Aussie import - yup, it kicks ass!! If the Camaro was built and delivered the same way, I'd definately have no problem with that

Quote:
Motorcycle Cop: Whatcha got in the trunk?
J. Frank Parnell: Oh... You don't wanna look in there.

Repo Man
alleykt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
Luna
Own one, dont date one!!!

Drives: Tiburon
Send a message via Yahoo to Luna
The Aussies were good to me when I lived in their country, I'd return the favor and buy the Camaro if it were Aussie made. I think I'm Aussie at heart anyway.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
BigAls87Z28

Drives: 1972 Camaro RS
1- It wont be, so really no need for a thread like this
2- If it was, most deffinatly
3- Last 10 years of Fbody werent "American". It still wont be "American" when it starts production.
Engineerd by Aussies, designed by Americans, Built by Canadians....and the real ones, not the kind some of you might be thinking about.

1987 Camaro Z28: Cammed LS1/4L60E, 9 bolt rear, C4 HD front brakes, Bilstein struts/shocks, BMR lower control arms, panhard bar, Sphon torque arm, gunmetal ZR1's on all 4 corners.

2009 Malibu LT: Daily
BigAls87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Hi Guys! As a Canadian, I have to reply to this thread. For a very long time GM has been building cars in the US and Canada. The international boundary line has been blurred for a very long time, officially when the Free Trade Agreement was signed in the 60's. GM itself is made up of a lot of Canadian companies that were purchased over the years. Personally I consider it one and the same. Am I happy the car is being built in Oshawa? Yes, very much so. Why? Because it will be built at the Plant that was rated number one for quality. The last thing we need is to have the Camaro come out and the publics impression of it is sub standard. Oshawa has a history of building top rated vehicles and hopefully the trend will continue. As far as Australia in on the design process, anyone that was in Detroit last January for the unveiling was made aware that a lot of the engineers were going to Australia to continue on with the process. GM has just followed the pattern they have tried to form by amalgamating departments to cut waste.
I work at GM Powertrain here in St. Catharines, Ontario. I would be very proud if we were given the opportunity to build the drive train for the new Camaro. We also have a high quality standard and we build engines for the Corvette, trucks and many other GM models. Also, right or wrong, I consider America as North America. What is good for one is good for the other. Always has been, always will be. IMO

Last edited by 3whiterag; 01-28-2007 at 09:13 PM.
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote