Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #1
15CamaroRS2LT

Drives: 2015 Camaro L99-1SS/RS CRM
TPMS relearn ??

I've been told that on the 2015 Camaro that if you install new TPM's, the car will relearn them without having them programmed by a dealer, is that true? I know my buddies 2014 C7 Corvette will do it but the sensors are different and the ECU is different on that car.

2015 Crystal Red 1SS/RS..A6..11.31 @ 119.76...4065 lbs...Ebay cold air kit, Pat G tune, MT drag radials, TSP 1 7/8" headers w/cats Circle D converter sold

2010 Victory Red V6 - Auto
15CamaroRS2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
cypressh
Canadian

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Try on the DIC you might be able to relearn sensors, I know you will have to go thru a fun procedure to do it. It is outlined in the owners manual
cypressh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I would read the owners manual.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
While I was installing my Homelink UGR last weekend I had the battery disconnected for about 8 hours and when I reconnected it, one of the DIC prompts, after the window index thing was cleared anyway, was the tire pressure monitor readouts were all blank. When the DIC is displaying that readout, press and hold enter/reset button, should be in the end of the stalk, for 8-10 seconds and it should ask you if you want to relearn. I did this, thinking it had to be done and it reported it was relearning tire pressures. I went to bed before it finished and the next day expected to have to take it to the dealer, after reading about it in the OM and it stated a relearn tool was required. Called the dealer and set up an appointment for that day. Went to pick up some parts and during that trip all the tire pressures started displaying. Admittedly, I did not change the TPMS parts in any way but it might work the same way for you.

Try it and see if it does. If not, you'll either have to buy a relearn tool or take it somewhere that has one.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
On my wifes 11 equinox after rotating tires I put it in learn mode, you have to go in order from front left tire clockwise around the car, deflate tire until horn honks then move to next one and finsh on drivers rear, the process has to be completed quickly. Not sure if the Camaro works this way since I cant rotate tires on my SS so never tired.
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15CamaroRS2LT View Post
I've been told that on the 2015 Camaro that if you install new TPM's, the car will relearn them without having them programmed by a dealer, is that true? I know my buddies 2014 C7 Corvette will do it but the sensors are different and the ECU is different on that car.
I've heard that on early Camaros you could reprogram the sensors by letting air out of the tires in the proper sequence but I'm not sure if that is true. I can tell you that in 2012 and later Camaros you definitely need a relearn tool to do it.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
fradaj

Drives: RS
When I had a tire repaired the guy at the tire place had a special box to reprogram the TPM's. The sensors on the rear of my car were reversed, he fixed that with out swapping the wheels.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
BostiPB

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
On my 2014, you need a tool to relearn the tpms. I think i paid about $60 for the tool.
2014 2SS/RS - Red Rock Metallic - Kooks Headers, Corsa Extreme, Factory Reproductions Z28 Rims, Pedders Coilovers, JDP Clutch Reservoir, Summit Racing Line Lock, GM Strut Brace, GM low profile splash guards, Roto-fab CAI, Oracle Ghosted Sidemarker Lights & Concept Mirrors, ZL1 Side Skirts, MGW Flat Stick Shifter, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eaton Truetrac, Yukon 4.11s, GForce Renegade Axles, Speedmaster79 Diff Cover, Offset Diff Bushings, Every Suspension Bushing Front & Rear Replaced with BMR Poly Bushings - 421HP 412TQ
BostiPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Autozone / Advanced Auto Parts will do it for free.

Be nice and buy the kid a coke or something.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
rdame

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I have a 2011 SS. If you replace the TPMS in the tires (at least in this model year) they have what are call READY TPMS sensors which do not need to be programmed for the vehicle, and Generic, which need to be programmed. They also have a circular magnet which can be placed over the valve stem which erases the programming so they can be reprogrammed. Always get a ready sensor if you are buying them. If your tire shop is installing then they should be able to handle it. After all that is what you are paying them for. If they cannot do this seek another tire shop.

If you are talking about RELEARN in the car the procedure is (2011 ss) to find the TPMS tire monitoring screen in the DTC. Inflate the tires to the max setting suggested. Press the relearn button in the DTC and follow prompts to proceed. You will then exit the vehicle and move to the left front tire. Left front marker lamp / running light should be on. Release pressure from tire (about 3 to 5 lbs) and wait. When car recognizes pressure drop it will connect to that sensor. Horn will beep once. LF light will go out and RF light will go on. Repeat that procedure for each corner of the car. It may take up to a minute or two or three for the horn to beep signaling it connected to that sensor. When you complete the final tire (RR) the horn will beep twice indicating that the process is complete. Re-inflate all tires to desired pressure and check in the DTC for readings. If they are there verify they agree with your pressure gage. If it is off by a pound or two you need to repeat the entire process. I wanted mine to meet the readings on my pressure gage so it took several tries till I got them to agree. Tips are to release the exact same amount of pressure from each tire in about the same time. This will help keep the readings close. When I purchased the car I was told they were dead (when batteries in the die they need replacement - cannot replace batteries). Used car dealership wanted to charge me $75 each to replace when all I needed to do was relearn them in the car. They also wanted to charge me a programming fee. I don't think it was a money grab. I just think they did not know how to do it. Obviously these can be reprogrammed by the dealer or someone with the correct scanner quicker, with a fee for your convenience.

This worked for my 2011 SS. Not sure if I found it in the owners manual or on the web......
rdame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
The 2010 has the relearn procedure but i still bought the tool because its much faster than walking around letting air out of tires and then have to go get the correct air put back in. Get the tool...i payed 50 bucks on ebay.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #12
Carmikaze
HTCC Membership Director

Drives: 2013 RS Camaro
Earlier models can be done by letting the air out as described above. Newer models need a relearn tool. Mine is a 13 and needs the relearn tool. Had mine done at discount tire for free. Took the guy about 3 minutes.
Carmikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
You don't need a tool. Read the owners manual. It's all there.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
That_old_guy

Drives: 2016 Jetta sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumminxx View Post
You don't need a tool. Read the owners manual. It's all there.
where does it say that? my manual says you need the relearn tool.
That_old_guy is offline   Reply With Quote