Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Low Voltage - Battery not Charging

I have found quite a few threads about batteries dying early and erratic voltage but none come to any conclusion. I started having problems with my 2014 SS within a couple months of buying it new. It would barely turn over, then the battery would be dead, and within a few weeks the battery wouldn't even take a charge. I took it to the dealer and they wrote it off as me not driving the car often enough even though it rarely sat more than a couple of days. I figured maybe it just had a bad battery because after they installed a new one I didn't have any issues for a while.

I have watched the voltage regularly since the problem and I've noticed it is completely erratic. Sometimes it stays at 14-15 volts and sometimes it drops down to 12.5 volts right away. As time went on it seemed to always be at 12.5 volts except for the first minute or so after starting it. I know these cars are supposed to only put out the required voltage in the name of efficiency, but it doesn't seem to be working. Lately my car has barely been turning over again and finally wouldn't start yesterday. I charged it for a few minutes and it started, but the voltage dropped down to 12.5 within a minute. The voltage should have stayed higher to charge the battery. It did start after work, but when I stopped at the store sure enough it wouldn't start back up. I got a jump start and once again the voltage dropped to 12.5 within a minute. After a 30 mile drive home I hooked it up to a battery charger and the charger showed it was just about dead.

Has anyone else had similar problems and found a solution? I suspect that the alternator isn't putting out enough voltage because the engine computer isn't telling it to. It could be a software issue or a problem with the computer being able to sense the actual electrical load. The alternator itself could also be bad, but sometimes the voltage output is higher which makes me think it's related to whatever is controlling the alternator.

I was hoping to find a common issue or maybe even a TSB before going back to the Chevy dealer and having them give me some BS about not driving my car enough.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
My mother had a 2007 STS. The battery would die if it wasn't driven for a few days. The battery was replaced but it happened again. There was a drain coming from the ventilated seat that kept killing the battery.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
pimpaluv

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss
Just swapped mine out last week. If you're under 36 months than you're go under warranty. I was out of luck. Dealer quoted me $250. With a 3yr warranty. Autozone and everywhere else are going about 190. You should take the battery check at autozone before getting raped. I went the cheap rate. Went to a refurbished shop and paid 35 bucks with core. They also gave me a year warranty. Either way it's a win win situation.
pimpaluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The voltage fluctuation is normal. However, the loss of charge is not normal.

Either you have a drain in the system or all your trips are very short. A defective charging system is the least likely, so rule out the other factors first.

Finally, have you installed anything electrical in the car?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The voltage fluctuation is normal. However, the loss of charge is not normal.

Either you have a drain in the system or all your trips are very short. A defective charging system is the least likely, so rule out the other factors first.

Finally, have you installed anything electrical in the car?
Don't want to add on, but did you install anything......?
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Ah, you don't know about the GM fuel saving alternators. When they sense the battery is charged they essentially switch off (fluctuates to 12v vs 14v) to lower load on the engine. Our Suburban does the same thing. Freaked me out for a while until I researched it on Google.

Still, you probably had a bad battery to start due possibly to something simple like a loose connection.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
JR 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Don't want to add on, but did you install anything......?
I do have a range device which I'm sure is adding to the problem. I do unplug it if the car will be sitting more than a couple of days. Other than that the electrical system is stock.

The thing is the alternator doesn't consistently recharge the battery. It seemed to charge it normally for a while after the dealer replaced the first battery, but now it's to the point where the car won't start because the battery is too low.

I have a long commute to work so it has plenty of time to recharge, but I can drive 30+ miles and sometimes the car won't restart. To me it seems like whatever "logic" the car has to sense how much power the alternator should put out isn't working. The dealer tested the alternator when they replaced the first battery and said it was working fine.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Warranty, dealers problem to resolve not yours.

There is a common scenario of leaving the key in the ignition and in the off position in which the CPU will drain your battery. Otherwise, you can go months without driving the vehicle and the battery will have nearly the same charge as the day you parked it. Do not let some service adviser tell you differently.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #9
JR 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Warranty, dealers problem to resolve not yours.

There is a common scenario of leaving the key in the ignition and in the off position in which the CPU will drain your battery. Otherwise, you can go months without driving the vehicle and the battery will have nearly the same charge as the day you parked it. Do not let some service adviser tell you differently.
Believe me I know I should be able to let the car sit for months without a problem. Unfortunately I mentioned that the car wasn't driven daily in the winter and it may have gone a week or two without being driven at times. The dealer latched onto that statement and insists that is the issue.

I have tried all the Chevy dealers in the area and they are all awful. I don't get it. I feel like I have always been treated fairly and with respect when going to Midas, Discount Tire, etc. but when I go to a GM dealership and pay top dollar I have to deal with lying hacks who either don't know how or have no desire to fix problems. That is why I try to figure out what is going on before I go to the dealer.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Hmm, I feel what your laying down. My last Chevy was serviced by Cadillac 100% of the time I owned it, from the day I drove it off the lot to the day I sold it. Currently, I have a Ford dealer servicing my tires and alignments with Jiffy Lube handling my fluids. Said Ford dealer treats me like a king.

Talking about Chevy Dealer Service is like talking about Military Intelligence or looking for that elusive 4 leaf clover. My only two suggestions are a) Find a different GM dealer and b) PM Chevrolet Customer Svc here on the forums. It is a shared account monitored by Chevy Corporate.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote