Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
If you have wheel insurance, look into that first for sure...

Another issue I see with not painting the whole wheel is that color is gonna be hard to match, I mean does anyone even have the legit paint code yet?

Depends how OCD you are...if it was me, I would have the whole wheel refinished, and if that didn't make me happy, I would just buy another new wheel. But I can only imagine what one of these wheels costs...
Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #16
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
You can make that unnoticeable pretty easily by yourself with a Dremel tool and touch up paint.

Start with the Dremel #952 Cone Shaped Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone and grind down the burrs. It doesn't have to be completely smooth just rounded the best you can.
Switch to the #413 Sanding disc and try to round it down.
1500 grit sandpaper lightly sand
3000 grit sand paper lightly sand
Clean with 15% isopropyl alcohol/water solution
Paint with rim touch up paint.
Any idea on what color code touch up paint would be for these wheels? I found a small rock chip on the inside of one of my spokes that I'd like to touch up.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #17
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
If you have wheel insurance, look into that first for sure...

Another issue I see with not painting the whole wheel is that color is gonna be hard to match, I mean does anyone even have the legit paint code yet?

Depends how OCD you are...if it was me, I would have the whole wheel refinished, and if that didn't make me happy, I would just buy another new wheel. But I can only imagine what one of these wheels costs...
Its a very small area, considering the paint no one has the exact codes yet. I figured repair the patch, than drive hard all spring I have three track sessions in 3 weeks! So i'll repair after I drive hard all spring and summer!!!than repaint after i get more damage * these roads in Atlanta are the worst ive ever experienced so im bracing for a damaging year!

Im worried that an entire respray may be off vs the other rims so im gonna wait
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #18
formoutofchaos

On another side note * is it normal to have the brake disc have those rusty brown streaks? Should I be cleaning them? See pics prior? I assume I got wet in rain or washing and dirt got in on them ,
Old 02-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #19
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
On another side note * is it normal to have the brake disc have those rusty brown streaks? Should I be cleaning them? See pics prior? I assume I got wet in rain or washing and dirt got in on them ,
Yes its normal and should come off after some use again.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #20
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
Any idea on what color code touch up paint would be for these wheels? I found a small rock chip on the inside of one of my spokes that I'd like to touch up.
Autozone will let you return touch up paint that doesn't match if you don't use much. They can usually recommend a paint match too.

Quote:
It is normal but can be removed with a "no touch" wheel iron decontamination product such as Trans Mate Tame Tiger Brake Dust Remover or P & S Brake Dust Remover (recently reviewed by Sledgehammer70.) Spray on and pressure wash it off to remove the rust.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #21
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Just a FYI most if not all wheel/tire insurance policies will NOT cover cosmetic issues. I have IAS insurance and it clearly states that in the policy paperwork. Even if you bent your wheel! As long as it still holds air most they would do is just re-balance it and send you on your way.....
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
Just a FYI most if not all wheel/tire insurance policies will NOT cover cosmetic issues. I have IAS insurance and it clearly states that in the policy paperwork. Even if you bent your wheel! As long as it still holds air most they would do is just re-balance it and send you on your way.....
I think after listing to some peoples views on it i would say to the OP listen to Glen and ask the dealer first about their wheel repair estimate to see what it would cost and what does it entail to fix it. I hear you on the insurance part and it may not be covered but it couldn't hurt to find out.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #23
KirkH

Ask around your local detailers also. The best detailers often don't work for the dealers. Many dealers try to fix everything on the cheap. They often have high school kids doing their detail work. Seriously.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #24
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Ask around your local detailers also. The best detailers often don't work for the dealers. Many dealers try to fix everything on the cheap. They often have high school kids doing their detail work. Seriously.
I am not referring to a person who works for the dealer. It is a mobile wheel service that service all dealers and most of them are very professional and do the job right..... just take my advice and try it.

This has nothing to do with detailing ..../it is rim repair
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #25
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Dang...that must have hurt! I was run into a curb in the Lowes parking lot with my brand new 5th gen and couldn't wait to get it to a wheel repair shop. It cost me $175 for the repair which I thought was very high, but I can't stand having something wrong with my car. They did an excellent job and you could never tell it from the other three.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #26
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I am not referring to a person who works for the dealer. It is a mobile wheel service that service all dealers and most of them are very professional and do the job right..... just take my advice and try it.

This has nothing to do with detailing ..../it is rim repair
I'm a detailer and I repair rim dings every week. My point is that there are local people who can repair rims. I am DAMN good at fixing curb rash
Old 02-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #27
formoutofchaos

Apparently it's covered only 95 for patch
Old 02-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #28
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Apparently it's covered only 95 for patch
How is that covered lol? When I had my wife's Equinox wheel repaired (that was way worse than yours), it cost me less than that.