The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
The First 3D-Printed Gun Has Been Fired

It's a single shot gun. Still can kill.

The world's first 3D printed gun fired its first shot on Sunday, according to this video released by Defense Distrubuted, the controversial company pushing for D-I-Y weapons.

Cody Wilson, of Defense Distribution, the company behind The Liberator,
told the BBC that he is not concerned with the potential harm the gun could cause. He said, "I recognise the tool might be used to harm other people - that's what the tool is - it's a gun. But I don't think that's a reason to not do it - or a reason not to put it out there."
Defense Distributed's goals, as displayed on its website, are the following:
To defend the civil liberty of popular access to arms as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and affirmed by the United States Supreme Court, through facilitating global access to, and the collaborative production of, information and knowledge related to the 3D printing of arms; and to publish and distribute, at no cost to the public, such information and knowledge in promotion of the public interest.
Though 3D printing is still a fairly nascent technology, its growth is expected to be widespread. Staples expect to offer them in stores next month. Anyone interested in building a gun, then, could go to Defense Distributed's site and download the CAD file to get started.
The worst part? It's legal. Donna Sellers of the US Bureau of Alcohol, manufacture a firearm for their own use" in the U.S.

The horror of 3D printed guns stands in sharp contrast to some of the more amazing benefits 3D printing could bring, including the ability to revolutionize medicine. Is it worth the risk?
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I think its great technology and that is part of the one of the cons about 3D printers. I think the fear is being able to smuggle the gun into places where metal detechers are like airports courtrooms schools and whatever place has them. Im sure the govt. is prolly gonna do something if/when someone uses one to kill someone with it. Im on the fence about it. I love the tech but this is one thing that might be a bit much.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
SIM Curly

Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
I saw there's 3D printed cars coming out for around 40k. Stronger then steel but way lighter.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Renegade
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
I think its great technology and that is part of the one of the cons about 3D printers. I think the fear is being able to smuggle the gun into places where metal detechers are like airports courtrooms schools and whatever place has them. Im sure the govt. is prolly gonna do something if/when someone uses one to kill someone with it. Im on the fence about it. I love the tech but this is one thing that might be a bit much.
I fear people using this for evil. Not detectable on planes and other hostage situations. It's perfectly "legal" though.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Silver-SS

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
All polymer guns have metal in them to operate and even if this didn't the bullets it would need to fire are still metal so I wouldn't be too concerned about metal detectors getting bypassed. The media said the same thing when glocks,the first popular polymer pistols where introduced. Got people all worried about nothing because media wanted to sensationalize and sell headlines instead of looking for the truth.
Silver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
It's an interesting technology, but this particular usage is kind of irrelevant. CNC machines have been on the open market for many years and you can use them to make any thing you wanted out of any solid material.

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decibel JJ View Post
It's an interesting technology, but this particular usage is kind of irrelevant. CNC machines have been on the open market for many years and you can use them to make any thing you wanted out of any solid material.
CNC machines have been used for making many products out of steel such as rims,motorcycle parts, and tools. This you can actually buy and take home. Cnc machines cost way over a 150,000-450,000 dollars.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
CNC machines have been used for making many products out of steel such as rims,motorcycle parts, and tools. This you can actually buy and take home. Cnc machines cost way over a 150,000-450,000 dollars.
Nope, CNC Machines can mill ANY solid material like plastics and polymers. You can buy a small manual one and a bunch of micrometers for less than $1000.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Renegade
Banned

The one's i've seen has mostly been used for those purposes. Do you own one? haha
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Decibel JJ
Car nut

I own a micrometer ...

I do have a couple friends with machines

Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Renegade
Banned

Got any pics what you've made?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
FYI - airports don't use "metal detectors" anymore, and would easily see one of these concealed on your person or in your carry-on luggage

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I though you still had the choice to go through a metal detector's or the full body scan? and yes the bullet Is metal but its a 22 rimfire very small and they make belt buckles that can hide things in them that look like a normal buckle and I bet a 22 rimfire bullet would fit in one of those. Im not trying be over hyping it but like I said before im not that comfy with a plastic gun that can shoot a actualy metal bullet. But I do love that you can scan anything and make it on the printer. Jay leno's garage did video on it.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
If you opt for the metal detector, you get a pat-down.

Your carry-on still goes through the scanner that is no longer just a "metal detector"

They will find it if you try to bring it...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote