Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
PowertoLove
Banned

Drives: A Sneaky Fast Camaro
Poor Paint Quality

I'm noticing ALOT of paint damage on this car that I've never experienced with any other car. The paint chips very easily, there are now 100's of small chips all over the front hood and fenders. Body shop claims all the newer cars are like this...I'm not sure I believe this. Its factory paint and never been repaired.
PowertoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
With newer cars the paint does seem to chip a lot easier and it’s not just GM. Other side of that is how old is the paint and is it 10 years worth of chipping. I believe these cars had issues with excessive chipping paint especially on 2010’s.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
PowertoLove
Banned

2014, it had some chips when we bought it but now its much worse. I'd say there are 1000's of chips all over the front. Plus its black so everything shows X2. I'm just surprised, our last car was 18 years old and didn't have enough chips to notice driving the same roads. If this car lasts 18 years it will be stripped!
Old 07-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
These cars drive down the road like a shovel. You need to consider that too. Every car I've owned that was shaped like these has the same issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
PowertoLove
Banned

That is something else I considered because it collects bugs like a Preying Mantis. It gets covered with them quickly.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #6
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowertoLove View Post
That is something else I considered because it collects bugs like a Preying Mantis. It gets covered with them quickly.
Sure does. Might as well throw paint balls at yellow paint when you’re talking bugs. And I agree on the paint chipping issue. I’ve had a RJT and my current car, both ‘10s, and every time I clean I see more chips. Almost started to think it got repainted and they did a half assed job but, have had more than a few people tell me it’s the original paint. Not much you can do but, get out the touch up paint and dab away.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I know the front of my ‘10 is damn near sandblasted
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
Tony-8

Drives: 2014 Camaro RRM 2SS RS, M6 LS3 Vert
I had an XPel Ultimate clear bra put on mine at 3 months old. Did the entire hood and front fascia, half of the front fenders, A-pillars, mirrors, behind the wheels and on the shark gills. Not cheap - paid $1400 for the bra and another $600 for ceramic coating, but the paint looks new and there is not a single chip on the car after 34,000 miles.

I've had paint chipping problems on virtually every car I've owned before this, and $2000 is a lot of money to spend to protect a car's finish, but I don't regret it.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:05 PM   #9
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
No chips on mine yet, but I do want to get a clear bra on it. $1400 for those areas being covered is a good price. Around here, I've been quoted $2400 for the same coverage.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #10
Rob10CamaroSS

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
Had a 10 2SS/RS and now a 12 ZL1, both Black (a glutton for punishment).
I'm a nut with my cars and keeping them looking new and I've been very disappointed with the quality of the Camaro's paint

BUT LOVE EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THEM
Old 07-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-8 View Post
I had an XPel Ultimate clear bra put on mine at 3 months old. Did the entire hood and front fascia, half of the front fenders, A-pillars, mirrors, behind the wheels and on the shark gills. Not cheap - paid $1400 for the bra and another $600 for ceramic coating, but the paint looks new and there is not a single chip on the car after 34,000 miles.

I've had paint chipping problems on virtually every car I've owned before this, and $2000 is a lot of money to spend to protect a car's finish, but I don't regret it.
Yep. Car was about a week old when we put the clearbra on it. Full hood, full front, both front fenders, A-pillars, side mirrors and a 8" brow above the windshield. Front is like a tank, add a ceramic coating and you can wash the bugs off with the water hose. 54k miles on it, no paint chips and clearbra still looks great.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
This has to be the worse paint on any car I've owned. Paint chips are a given with a daily driven car however, any little thing that hits this car makes a mark, not a chip, in the clear coat. My front end looks like someone sprinkled white pepper on my front end and gills. There are too many marks and they are too shallow to fill in with any chip paint/clear coat.

My last car had 120k+ miles (and it wasn't perfect by any stretch of imagination) but it's paint was in better condition than my Camaro's paint at 14k when I got it.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
It depends on the driving conditions. I'm afraid that the 5th gen Camaros are very prone to paint chipping, especially at the front bumper (obvious), rear lower quarter by the gills, and near wheel wells. Dilligent detailing with a good wax or sealant will strengthen the paint and lower the occurrence of paint chips (it won't totally prevent it), and you can also purchase paint chip guard plastic products to put over the car. It sucks but its the state of affairs with modern paint. In my opinion, a lot of this has to do with the car's design, where it is a catalyst for rock chipping.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #14
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Older vehicles that were painted with the old style solvent based paint are much more durable than the new water based paints used on cars now. They say it's supposed to be just as durable, I say bul**it. But as others have said it's not limited to Camaro, our newer Honda Civic and Toyota Camry all suffer the same issue with paint chipping. They all suck now.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote