Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #15
Rob13567

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss NGM
You can also buy those small blind spot mirrors, like the ones mustang has standard
Rob13567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:29 PM   #16
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots
Quote:
For the past few years, various carmakers have been offering blind-spot detection systems for their cars’ side mirrors. Often complex, these systems employ cameras or radar to scan the adjoining lanes for vehicles that may have disappeared from view.

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) published a paper in 1995 suggesting how outside mirrors could be adjusted to eliminate blind spots. The paper advocates adjusting the mirrors so far outward that the viewing angle of the side mirrors just overlaps that of the cabin’s rearview mirror. This can be disorienting for drivers used to seeing the flanks of their own car in the side mirrors. But when correctly positioned, the mirrors negate a car’s blind spots. This obviates the need to glance over your shoulder to safely change lanes as well as the need for an expensive blind-spot warning system.

The only problem is getting used to the SAE-recommended mirror positions. The cabin’s rearview mirror is used to keep an eye on what is coming up from behind, while the outside mirrors reflect the area outside the view of the inside rearview mirror.

Those who have switched to the SAE’s approach swear by it, however, some drivers can’t adjust to not using the outside mirrors to see directly behind the car and miss being able to see their own car in the side mirrors. To them we say, “Have fun filling out those accident reports.”
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #17
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I've spent my entire life on a motorcycle. There is no substitute for actually looking...
Unfortunately, the side windows on the gen 6 almost completely preclude this, so it behooves you to take whatever measures and precautions you can in the interests of everyone's safety.
The fish eye of the backup camera is great, I also use bubble mirrors on my side mirrors, the extra view really helps.
Try to be aware of your surroundings. If you don't know whether or not someone is there, DON"T GO THERE.
Take a defensive driving course, they will train you how to adjust your mirrors to eliminate your blind spot.
Or talk to a cop.. They can show you.

Above all else, be careful, be patient, and be courteous when you can. It makes the world a better place.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #18
Imtheboss

Drives: White 1lt sunroof NPP
Thank You guys so much for all this amazing feedback, the rear passenger windows on the 2016 I sat in were not of much use, the mirror adjustment will really help
Imtheboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #19
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Its this simple guys....go by the above example.

I'm telling you....set your mirrors CORRECTLY and there are no blind spots. You *should* be able to safely rely on your mirrors although turning your head also is never a bad thing.

In my 5th gen, I set the mirrors so that anything coming out of view from my rearview mirror was then just coming into view of the sideview mirrors. Anything coming out of view of the sides, was then viewable through my side windows.

Set Up:
Sit in the driver's seat like normal. For the drivers side mirror, lean your head over next to the window. Adjust your mirror so that you can just barely see the rear "hip" of the car. Now for the passenger mirror, put your head so that it is basically in the center of the cabin. Adjust this mirror so again you can barely see the hips.

Now you are nearly ready to go. Next time you take the car out, test your mirrors by making sure that any car that passes out of view of one mirror, is at the same time coming into view of the next.

Done.

No blind spots.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #20
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar1 View Post
I feel like blind spot issues are exaggerated. Being aware of your surroundings and looking at the rearview every few seconds to see any cars coming up behind you on the lanes next to you should be enough.

With an SS , you shouldn't be having cars come up behind you .....
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #21
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I'm with Paul84043. I like to see it directly. Yes you can adjust your mirrors and rely on technology like SBA and LDW and Rear Camera. But I don't like the feeling of driving a Savana panel van. Too many situations in parking lots and in town need more than just an adjusted mirror.

And if you like doing a head check in a Gen6, the porthole got even smaller.

I'm still struggling if this is a deal breaker. Mrs. Number 3 hated driving Gen5s because the belt line is high as is the cowl. The cowl is lower on the Gen6, but the high belt and poor rearward visibility is no better than equal to the Gen5. I was really hoping GM would take a crack at addressing these, but from their own comments they ditched them for styling.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #22
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
You know how awesome your car's shoulders look in the rear view mirrors?

Keep moving the mirrors out until you lose that awesome view. Sorry, but it's for your own safety. :(
Old 12-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #23
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
To get the safety features, you are forced to get the Pink Floyd Interior Spectrum Light show. Seems kind of bizarre.

fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:28 AM   #24
DevonK

Drives: TBD
Blind spots can be dealt with easily on the Gen 6 - just follow these 3 simple steps:

1. Shut your eyes.
2. Pray.
3. Go for it.
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #25
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsoj23 View Post
I hardly ever look over my shoulder to see if there's a car next to me, I always really on the side mirror. That's your best tool, I have mine the way I want and never had a problem changing lanes.
I don't know how many times I've been cut off by folks who use this technique! Heed the warning on the mirror that states "Objects are closer than thy appear". The right hand mirror is convex...and that makes it look like you have several feet of clearance when it is mere inches! Adjust the mirrors--but still sneak a peak!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #26
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
I don't know how many times I've been cut off by folks who use this technique! Heed the warning on the mirror that states "Objects are closer than thy appear". The right hand mirror is convex...and that makes it look like you have several feet of clearance when it is mere inches! Adjust the mirrors--but still sneak a peak!
What about merging into traffic on a freeway onramp ? In heavy traffic I would think you would have to roll down the driver side window, lean forward and stick your head out the window to get a clear look at traffic that is coming up on your left.

I want a 2016 Camaro so bad...But I have a fear of being in heavy traffic on the 405 during rush hour, with inclement weather (El Nino is coming), trying to change lanes, merge into traffic, etc., and having a close call (or worse)... I have a heart condition, so I'll just have to make sure I take my meds on days like this (if days like this happen at all).

This would be a worse case scenario, but still possible.

BTW...I am planning on purchasing a 1LT (what my budget can afford), which doesn't even offer the safety items that are optional on 2LT.

Last edited by Bongos2U; 12-19-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote