Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #1
BeauRichardson

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS
HELP! HP Tuners! URGENT!

"The tune file you've just been supplied is a stock file because this control module is not readable. It is perfectly safe to use. If this module has been previously tuned, you will lose any existing changes."

is the message i was given when reading my ecu for the first time in hp tuner vcm editor.

I am freaking out. I am procharged, cammed, and running on e85. I dont need anything to change. i was just loading and reading the module.
i didnt do anything to cause it to do some crap like this
BeauRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauRichardson View Post
"The tune file you've just been supplied is a stock file because this control module is not readable. It is perfectly safe to use. If this module has been previously tuned, you will lose any existing changes."

is the message i was given when reading my ecu for the first time in hp tuner vcm editor.

I am freaking out. I am procharged, cammed, and running on e85. I dont need anything to change. i was just loading and reading the module.
i didnt do anything to cause it to do some crap like this
Relax. You cannot read the TCM! You can only flash to it. So HP Tuners will let you read the stock file, but that’s it. You save your modified TCM tunes in your laptop, and can flash them in as you make changes. But even if you have a heavily modified tune programmed in, if you try to read it it’ll just come up with the stock file. So, make sure you’re naming and saving modified TCM tunes in your laptop, since you’ll never be able to “pull” the modified tune from the TCM. You can only flash TO the TCM.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:59 AM   #3
BeauRichardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Relax. You cannot read the TCM! You can only flash to it. So HP Tuners will let you read the stock file, but that’s it. You save your modified TCM tunes in your laptop, and can flash them in as you make changes. But even if you have a heavily modified tune programmed in, if you try to read it it’ll just come up with the stock file. So, make sure you’re naming and saving modified TCM tunes in your laptop, since you’ll never be able to “pull” the modified tune from the TCM. You can only flash TO the TCM.

Hope that helps.
so if i didn’t write anything to the car, then the trans tune should still be in the car right? or does it automatically write itself to the car when it comes to the tcm? and nothing with the ecu is changed?
Old 08-10-2021, 07:23 AM   #4
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Have you tried getting on HPTuners forum? That is where I found information on my TCM and transferring stock files to the new unlocked TCM. Good luck and have a good day.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #5
BeauRichardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
Have you tried getting on HPTuners forum? That is where I found information on my TCM and transferring stock files to the new unlocked TCM. Good luck and have a good day.
yes i have. waiting on folks to reply on it. i’ve gotten 1 reply regarding the issue. he also said that the tune was rough

you have a good day as well
Old 08-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
Joshinator99

Quote:
so if i didn’t write anything to the car, then the trans tune should still be in the car right? or does it automatically write itself to the car when it comes to the tcm? and nothing with the ecu is changed?
If you just installed a freshly unlocked T87A, then it has the stock tune. You can download it and modify to your hearts content. But the stock tune will stay in there until you flash in a modified version.

ECM is unchanged when flashing TCM only.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
BeauRichardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
If you just installed a freshly unlocked T87A, then it has the stock tune. You can download it and modify to your hearts content. But the stock tune will stay in there until you flash in a modified version.

ECM is unchanged when flashing TCM only.
unsure if you're asking me if my tcm was just installed or already installed and tuned for my setup. It has been tuned for my set up, but to the best of my knowledge i havent written anything to m tcm. i was just letting vcm editor connect to my car and read my modules and i was given that error message.

I just want to make sure that it didnt write anything to it simply by connecting to the car and getting that little message.

I hope i was able to explain that in a way that at least a little easy to read. I am exhausted so wording is probably trash right now
Old 08-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
unsure if you're asking me if my tcm was just installed or already installed and tuned for my setup. It has been tuned for my set up, but to the best of my knowledge i havent written anything to m tcm. i was just letting vcm editor connect to my car and read my modules and i was given that error message.

I just want to make sure that it didnt write anything to it simply by connecting to the car and getting that little message.

I hope i was able to explain that in a way that at least a little easy to read. I am exhausted so wording is probably trash right now
Writing either the ECM or the TCM takes a relatively long time (minutes), and you see a progress indicator during the process. Unless you specifically selected the Write Vehicle item or button and then saw this window, you didn't write anything into your TCM. In addition, you need credits for writing, so you can only physically write your car if your tuner used the same MPVI2 device, if you have your own, you'd need to buy credits for your unit first.

As Josh said, unlike the ECM, the T87A TCM module cannot be read. When one tries to read it, the process seems to succeed, but you end up with a stock TCM tune file, which is what the warning is about.

Therefore, I'd say it is essential that you obtain your actual tune file(s) from your tuner so that you have a reference "after tune" state that you can always write into the car, should you tweak the tune yourself, have someone else modify it or for some reason need a new module later etc.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:24 PM   #9
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Writing either the ECM or the TCM takes a relatively long time (minutes), and you see a progress indicator during the process. Unless you specifically selected the Write Vehicle item or button and then saw this window, you didn't write anything into your TCM. In addition, you need credits for writing, so you can only physically write your car if your tuner used the same MPVI2 device, if you have your own, you'd need to buy credits for your unit first.

As Josh said, unlike the ECM, the T87A TCM module cannot be read. When one tries to read it, the process seems to succeed, but you end up with a stock TCM tune file, which is what the warning is about.

Therefore, I'd say it is essential that you obtain your actual tune file(s) from your tuner so that you have a reference "after tune" state that you can always write into the car, should you tweak the tune yourself, have someone else modify it or for some reason need a new module later etc.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:03 PM   #10
BeauRichardson

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

Alright, thank you. Sorry you guys for me so repetitive with my questions. I seriously almost shit my pants so i am just making sure i get all my questions answered.

Thank you all for your time and assistance during this little mental crisis i had lol
Old 08-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Alright, thank you. Sorry you guys for me so repetitive with my questions. I seriously almost shit my pants so i am just making sure i get all my questions answered.

Thank you all for your time and assistance during this little mental crisis i had lol
I completely understand, had quite a few "brown pants" moments myself with this car

(One great thing about this forum is how much one can learn from selfless people like Josh, KingLT1, laynlo and many others, a rare opportunity these days. Nothing like reading how a real pro did it, heh.)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, help please, hp tuners, tuning advice, urgent