The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Carbon Motors- time the fuzz get their own purpose-built ride

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/21/c...lt-police-car/

This is an alright idea... they mention that fire trucks are special built vehicles, why not build a "police car" instead of modding a crown vic.

Wonder if they will get any support to make it happen?

Tag---- comments?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Of course I have comments!!! Thank you for asking!

First off, one of these car co's could REAP the benefits from taking all the police car sales. I don't know why someone hasn't picked up on it a while ago. If I was in the auto industry, I would have polled a couple hundred officers to get opinions and ideas and have built a cost effective, SAFE police car. Talk about stealing the competition!

Now, for this new one...

Quote:
SELECTED FEATURES AND OPTIONS

- All-new purpose-built vehicle platform exclusively for law enforcement
An excellent idea.
- Meets or exceeds all regulatory requirements
Sure hope it would exceed...- Designed for 250,000 mile durability specification
We mile ours out at 60K miles. 250K miles and I would think it would be falling apart by then! I sure as heck wouldn't want to drive it passed 100K...and would be scared to get into a pursuit at 200K miles!- Turn-key built-to-direct-order
Nice idea. But what about warranty issues? We can't have the vehicle out of service for days to get a lightbulb fixed. It needs to be done the same day.
- 24/7/365 call center support
That's cool. But, again, what about warranty repairs. We can't lose a vehicle for days.
- Improved end-of-vehicle-life process
I would hope so! Good news.
- Comprehensive warranty
That depends on the repair co...if a "warranty" is all it's cracked up to be.
- Aluminum spaceframe body structure
I hope this means it's strongrer?
- 75 mile per hour rear crash capability
We are starting to get better w/ this rear crash bumper idea. I'm glad to see this listed here. I want to see pix of two of these cars: one hit at 75mph and one hit at 90mph...rear impact.
- Cockpit with fully-integrated factory fitted law enforcement equipment
WHY ISN'T THERE A PICTURE POSTED!!! I want to see!
- Integrated emergency lights, spot lights, take down lights, directional stick
Cool...but there needs to be lights on the side so people can see it from all directions.
- Segment exclusive coach rear doors (safer suspect insertion / removal)
That's a good idea. It's always difficult to get those bigger guys in and out of the rear seat. We have a cage that sits pretty far back and doesn't allow much room. We've had to call the wagon numerous times because the guy is just too big to fit in the back seat.
- Vehicle dynamic control
Excellent...I like to dynamically control my vehicle........
- Anti-lock brakes
Um...hope so.
- Optimized approach / departure angles and ground clearance
Got the ground clearance...what's the other stuff???
- NIJ Level III-A (or better) ballistic protection (front doors / dash panel)
Dude...we don't even have this now. This is GREAT!!!
- Purpose-designed seat for use with on-body equipment
How cool would this be! That asp and radio get in the freakin way. That's about it. Everything else is okay. Actually, I don't like the Ford seats w/out the dutybelt and gear. It just doesn't feel right.
- Heated and ventilated seats
Not necessary, but okay.
- Heads up display
Necessary for chases...won't use it otherwise. In fact, take this out if it'll save on money and make the car more appealing to the city manager.
- Reverse backup camera
Put it in ONLY if it can be used full time. I'd love to have a camera behind my car. You know how many times I've tried watching stuff going on behind me? Great idea.
- Driver specific intelligent key
Don't know about this one. How about department intelligent key. One key is used in all cars. If I have to move anothers car, I should be able to do it. We share cars at the sub. Now, you mean I have to wait for my car to come in from the daylight shift so I can use my driver specific key? I could be waiting for my patrol car for hours. Unless they mean my key identifies me in a particular car and I can use that key in any car. But what sense would that make? When you sigh on the MDT, you are logged onto a mainframe that says you are in that car and all data is recorded anyway. So, what's the point??
- 360 degree exterior surveillance capability
Great idea
- Automatic license plate recognition system
This is really cool. We have this on a couple of cars, but I've never had the chance to play with it. It only notifies the officer of the plate if the driver has warrants (or someone who was driving the car that got the initial tickets) and it also notifies the officer of the plates or vehicle is stolen.
- Video and audio surveillance of rear passenger compartment
Please!!! We NEED this!
- 130hz - 350hz bass siren.
Good
- Nightvision compliant interior illumination
Don't really understand how this'll help.
- Integrated forward looking infrared system (FLIR)
That's gotta be expensive to put in every patrol car. Could probably leave this out.
- Integrated shotgun mounts
If they can hold AR15's as well, good deal.
- Optimized storage capability (compartment and cargo)
No problem w/ storage now, really...
- Integrated front and rear passenger compartment partition
Don't need one in the front. A rear partition is pretty cool. We have one "caged" car at our sub. It has the bars on the windows, solid one peice hard plastic seat bench w/ cubby for a persons handcuffed hands behind their back, and a partitian. It's pretty cool.
- Hoseable rear passenger compartment
Read above..solid one peice rear seat. Hoseable is cool. I've had to cleanup puke some jerk forgot to clean out before. Actually, I shouldn't say forgot to clean out. I know he just didn't want to deal w/ it. But, that's besides the point. Like the hoseable part!
- Integrated push bumpers and PIT capability
I was going to say...those look weird. But, as long as the function well and don't bend/break after a few uses, they're good by me. Also, they need to have an outer rubber coating so as not to scratch the car it's pushing.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This thing sounds like a full-on tank.

Seriously, though...the best part is the ballistics protection. nothing on that list is as important as that, IMO...though, the aluminum frame is cool. Like a Corvette - it'll lower wieght and make up for the added poundage of the armor.

It might take away from fleet sales of our Big Three..but, Do it!
Old 09-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
more info here: http://www.carbonmotors.com/
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote