Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfin View Post
Look I'm not big on machanics. The guy who ran the dyno on my car told me at the rear wheels it was putting out 344hp, but at the engine it was 400hp. Does this sound right to you? He said most poeple think the rear wheels should be putting out 400 hp as advertised. I'm a little confused here. Any help? Educate me, is my car greatly underperforming or is my machanic right. I have the dyno print out. The garage that did the work is very, very repretable. They work on very high end vettes, as well as other cars and they just pumped up a 2010 Camaro with a blower/headers etc. and it sound awesome. Thanks for all the info.
Ha! And I thought I was the only one. Well, allow me to explain what I've learned from other informative posters. Yes, the Camaro V8 automatic is advertised as putting out 400hp, but what I've learned is, that's at the crank, or the engine, but once you add a transmission, tires, and all sorts of other things to the car to actually completely build it, you lose 10-20% horsepower. So yea, your dyno numbers are about right.

When I learned of this, it sort of pissed me off, because I wasn't actually getting what was advertised, well, I was in a sense-the engine(400hp), but on the road after production I wasn't. So basically this is how it works with ALL cars, the advertised HP is never actually what you get on the road. And also, alot of other different factors such as gas,oil, enviromental conditions affect the output of your horsepower. Try getting extra HP from your stock v8 maro in the summer heat! lol. Hard to do,....but then try pushing your camaro to the max in colder weather, that's a different story. Your engine would probably pick up an extra 1 or 4 hp because of the codition, its cooler. There is just too many factors which can affect the performance of your car, manual or not; if you want better performance from your car it's probably best to just treat it like a saint, give it the luxuries of life and soo much attention. Keep your oil changed(performance oil), keep the correct gas in the car(high octain), keep it clean and don't dog the car, and you should be fine. What I mean by "dog the car" is don't intentionally speed down the street going 70mph or up, see a big bump in the road and speed right over it, or on a nice morning just start the car up back out the drive way and push it to the max without letting the engine warm up or anything! That's how to dog a car. Treat the Camaro like an extention of yourself, treat it good!

That's just my opinion on the matter, take it as you will sir. As far as I go with my car, I love Gm to death but when it comes to warranty and HP, I'm sorry, Im going for HP. It's either your going to get your car and drive it up to 100,000 miles stock THEN decide to mod it, or your going to say, screw it I want more HP NOW and just mod it from the get go and void your warranty. Me personally, Im going to drive mine around for maybe 4 months stock, then mod the hell out of it, add a hennesy air intake(15hp), hennesy long tube headers(30hp stock and 50hp with a tune), then a new aggressive exhuast, and call it a quits, I'm happy, my dream is complete. And when nessisary, when I have to take my car back to the dealership for anything warranty related, remove all my mods (slight hassle), let them do whatever work while keeping my warranty then when the work is done, just re-add the mods back. To some it may be a little too much work, but if you wanna keep that warranty how far would you go? I'd go that far lol.

Just trying to help you dude...
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:14 AM   #16
Van

Drives: 2006 EVO MR - 390 @ wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfin View Post
Look I'm not big on machanics. The guy who ran the dyno on my car told me at the rear wheels it was putting out 344hp, but at the engine it was 400hp. Does this sound right to you? He said most poeple think the rear wheels should be putting out 400 hp as advertised. I'm a little confused here. Any help? Educate me, is my car greatly underperforming or is my machanic right. I have the dyno print out. The garage that did the work is very, very repretable. They work on very high end vettes, as well as other cars and they just pumped up a 2010 Camaro with a blower/headers etc. and it sound awesome. Thanks for all the info.
Well...as stated your car in STOCK form, with the L99 engine should be putting out 400 at the crank. Take away 15% for drivetrain loss and at the wheels you should be getting about 340 hp.

However your dyno included the modifications on your car...and still was around 344. That is why I posed the question in the manner that I did. It more than likely means that the mods had only a marginal effect on the engine performance.
3000, Order accepted by production control 8/18/2009 TPW 9/07/2009
3300, Order scheduled for production 8/24/2009
3400, Order broadcast 9/1/2009
3800, Order produced 9/11/2009
4200, Shipped 9/11/2009
5000, Delivered to the dealer
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Engine hp is also rated without the engine driving any accessories such as waterpump, alternator, A/C compressor or fan.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
jimfin

Drives: 2SS, Yellow/RS, Volvo XC90
Thank you for the education, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Ha! And I thought I was the only one. Well, allow me to explain what I've learned from other informative posters. Yes, the Camaro V8 automatic is advertised as putting out 400hp, but what I've learned is, that's at the crank, or the engine, but once you add a transmission, tires, and all sorts of other things to the car to actually completely build it, you lose 10-20% horsepower. So yea, your dyno numbers are about right.

When I learned of this, it sort of pissed me off, because I wasn't actually getting what was advertised, well, I was in a sense-the engine(400hp), but on the road after production I wasn't. So basically this is how it works with ALL cars, the advertised HP is never actually what you get on the road. And also, alot of other different factors such as gas,oil, enviromental conditions affect the output of your horsepower. Try getting extra HP from your stock v8 maro in the summer heat! lol. Hard to do,....but then try pushing your camaro to the max in colder weather, that's a different story. Your engine would probably pick up an extra 1 or 4 hp because of the codition, its cooler. There is just too many factors which can affect the performance of your car, manual or not; if you want better performance from your car it's probably best to just treat it like a saint, give it the luxuries of life and soo much attention. Keep your oil changed(performance oil), keep the correct gas in the car(high octain), keep it clean and don't dog the car, and you should be fine. What I mean by "dog the car" is don't intentionally speed down the street going 70mph or up, see a big bump in the road and speed right over it, or on a nice morning just start the car up back out the drive way and push it to the max without letting the engine warm up or anything! That's how to dog a car. Treat the Camaro like an extention of yourself, treat it good!

That's just my opinion on the matter, take it as you will sir. As far as I go with my car, I love Gm to death but when it comes to warranty and HP, I'm sorry, Im going for HP. It's either your going to get your car and drive it up to 100,000 miles stock THEN decide to mod it, or your going to say, screw it I want more HP NOW and just mod it from the get go and void your warranty. Me personally, Im going to drive mine around for maybe 4 months stock, then mod the hell out of it, add a hennesy air intake(15hp), hennesy long tube headers(30hp stock and 50hp with a tune), then a new aggressive exhuast, and call it a quits, I'm happy, my dream is complete. And when nessisary, when I have to take my car back to the dealership for anything warranty related, remove all my mods (slight hassle), let them do whatever work while keeping my warranty then when the work is done, just re-add the mods back. To some it may be a little too much work, but if you wanna keep that warranty how far would you go? I'd go that far lol.

Just trying to help you dude...
Thank you my friend for the education, I appreciate it. Here's a pic of my Henn. In-take. Thanks to all of you !!
Attached Images

jimfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Menardgang

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey Gang,

We picked up our Camaro yesterday and I ask the dealer about add ons and the warranty. Three different managers told me the same thing. If you buy and install GM accerssories those items will NOT void the warranty, including performace upgrades (GM shorty headers, cold air intake, and exhaust). All others including K&N air filters should be removed, if you are using them, before returning the car for dealer maintenance. Anything not GM approved will void the warranty.

1100 - Preliminary order accepted (7/31/09)
Delivered - (9/18/09)
Menardgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardgang View Post
Hey Gang,

We picked up our Camaro yesterday and I ask the dealer about add ons and the warranty. Three different managers told me the same thing. If you buy and install GM accerssories those items will NOT void the warranty, including performace upgrades (GM shorty headers, cold air intake, and exhaust). All others including K&N air filters should be removed, if you are using them, before returning the car for dealer maintenance. Anything not GM approved will void the warranty.
Why would a K&N air filter by itself void the warranty? Isnt it just a reusable filter with marginal, if any increase in HP?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #21
Kelso

Drives: 99 camaro
Mr. Clutch we see eye to eye a little work removing the parts is well worh the warranty coverege.

Tags
exhaust, headers, intake