#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-20-2023, 08:21 AM   #1
Nimair.ZL1

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Snow Tire Recommendations

Hello all,

I have a 2023 ZL1. I currently live in Wyoming and will be here for the remainder of the year. I know that the factory tires crack when under a certain temperature. What in your opinion is the best all around tire or snow tire? I plan to drive the car mostly on weekends. For reference the temps here are still in the 30s with them being in the high 20s in the morning
Nimair.ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:57 AM   #2
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimair.ZL1 View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2023 ZL1. I currently live in Wyoming and will be here for the remainder of the year. I know that the factory tires crack when under a certain temperature. What in your opinion is the best all around tire or snow tire? I plan to drive the car mostly on weekends. For reference the temps here are still in the 30s with them being in the high 20s in the morning
The best snow tires in The World are generally acknowledged to be the various models made by Nokian, a tire manufacturer in Finland (where snow is of course a daily winter reality). Their Hakkapoleda model is probably THE best. I have used those a number of times over the past 30 years, and they are awesome, on snow AND ice.

Currently, I live in The Province of Alberta in Canada, where studded tires are legal for winter use. IF you live or are staying in, a jurisdiction that allows studded tires, they can be bought on a number of the Nokian tire models. I have the studs on my Hakkapoleda tires on my Ford Maverick pickup truck, and I have NEVER lost traction, no matter the road conditions.

However, all that being said, you might have trouble getting any Nokian tire right now, particularly so in Camaro ZL1-appropriate sizes, as Nokian used warehouses in Russia until Russia invaded Ukraine, and Russia has prevented Nokian from pulling their tires out of Russia. So, there is currently an acute shortage.

I have had good results though also with Michelin X-Ice tires, and with Brdigestone Blizzak tires. Those tires are of course more generally available, and are as good as you can get other than Nokian.

One thing to remember when buying winter tires: Narrow is apparently better than wide. The narrow tires penetrate snow to reach a tractive surface, while wider tires tend to "hydroplane" on snow.

Cold, snowy, and icy road surfaces require a good combination of cold weather rubber that resists hardening and even cracking in the cold, and a tread pattern that will work on BOTH deep snow AND glare ice. That is a tough combination to optimize when the temperatures, snow, and ice conditions vary from day to day, particularly in a high elevation, northern location like Wyoming. Try to find a true tire PRO familiar with tire theory AND local conditions versus just a salesman when searching for the best tires for your specific location.

Note that some non-winter tires MUST not be used in cold weather. My Nitto NT555R2 tires are one example. Nitto warns buyers that operating them, or even just moving the car a short distance, in temperatures of minus 9 C = 16F or lower, can cause them to crack and thus become unsafe and unusuable.

But, with my Magnuson suprcharger, and the narrower wheels on my 2022 LT1, the 555R2 tires are a necessity. Without them, the car breaks traction all the way from 0 to at least 85 mph (that's the fastest a wise driver dares to go on our policed roads to avoid draconian results). So, I don't drive the Camaro in really cold weather nor in rain, snow, or ice at all. But if I needed to drive it "daily", I would buy the best winter tires I could for it, just as i HAVE done for my Ford Maverick pickup truck.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:07 AM   #3
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Stock ZL1 should not be driven in under 40°F. At 20°F if the tries flex they can crack.

How much snow we talking? If it is just general snowy conditions I would say something like this

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...1&autoModClar=

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:12 AM   #4
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Stock ZL1 should not be driven in under 40°F. At 20°F if the tries flex they can crack.

How much snow we talking? If it is just general snowy conditions I would say something like this

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...1&autoModClar=
That's only an "All Season" tire. That won't handle Wyoming roads in the winter, particularly with a ZL1. In parts of Canada with conditions that are NOT even as bad as in Wyoming (particularly in the mountainous areas), All Season tires are not even legal to drive on between October and April. You need a tire that has the actual "snowflake" symbol on it as a minimum.

Jim G
Old 04-20-2023, 09:15 AM   #5
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Hello all,

Your post is a bit confusing, particularly since it's April, but also since it's not clear what you plan to use the tires for. Are you planning to run these tires year round? Or is this a second set of tires for inclement weather / cold months? You asked about snow tires, but didn't mention driving in snow and it sounds more like you're looking for tires that are suitable for cold weather driving.

I suspect you may be looking for an all season tire recommendation, but can you clarify?
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:18 AM   #6
Nimair.ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Your post is a bit confusing, particularly since it's April, but also since it's not clear what you plan to use the tires for. Are you planning to run these tires year round? Or is this a second set of tires for inclement weather / cold months? You asked about snow tires, but didn't mention driving in snow and it sounds more like you're looking for tires that are suitable for cold weather driving.

I suspect you may be looking for an all season tire recommendation, but can you clarify?
Sorry about that. I plan to use these tries for the winter months. In terms of snow i would say 1-3in of snow.

I would not run these tires year around but rather only in the winter time and switch to the factory tires during summer
Old 04-20-2023, 09:50 AM   #7
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Sorry about that. I plan to use these tries for the winter months. In terms of snow i would say 1-3in of snow.

I would not run these tires year around but rather only in the winter time and switch to the factory tires during summer
Good decision. All Season tires would not work well on Wyoming winter roads, particularly in the mountains, because of snow and ice on grades, and it gets way too cold for the rubber on All Season tires. Couple those factors with the power of a ZL1, and anything less than real winter tires is just asking for trouble.

Jim G
Old 04-20-2023, 10:01 AM   #8
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

No worries! Makes sense now. Jim provided you some good advice that matches your use case.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:07 AM   #9
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I don't use an A/S, it's not good enough and a snow/ice tire is more than I need in my area.
In the middle and what I do use is a Winter Performance Tire, and I HIGHLY recommend the Michelin ALPIN PA4.

I used that tire 3 or 4 seasons now on stock 1LE and ZL1 wheels; 275/35/20 and 285/35/20.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:15 AM   #10
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Blizzaks LM-32 are decent choice. Not as good a Michelin X-Ice I had on previous car ( better ride quality).
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:41 AM   #11
Nimair.ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Blizzaks LM-32 are decent choice. Not as good a Michelin X-Ice I had on previous car ( better ride quality).
What tire sizes did you get? Considering getting the blizzaks as well
Old 04-20-2023, 11:29 AM   #12
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Ive run the XI2 and XI3 studless snow and ice and I just don't have enough snow days to need that much tire. I have 5-7 days in winter with snow on the streets. All the other days in the winter season, IMVHO, those tires suck ass to drive on. Theyre terrible outside of snow on the ground, I hated them.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 05:42 PM   #13
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I have 2 sizes on there right now, both 275 wide. I wore through a set of rears already, which were same size as front.

Currently:

Front: 275/35R-19 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32
Rear: 275/40R-19 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 05:54 PM   #14
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
This thread makes my head hurt, very bad or badly or baderester.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote