The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-23-2023, 01:39 PM   #71
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
A traditional definition of what constitutes a muscle car would exclude the Plaid for several reasons. It's too expensive, it's too luxurious, it doesn't have a V8, and it has four doors.
True. Spiritually this is a Mercedes S Class, minus V8 plus electric gear. That’s even why it is called Model S. It’s the electric alternative to the S-Class. Today’s S-Class, at least in AMG trim, can also hand most muscle cars their ass but that’s not the reason people buy S-Class. The Tesla Model S will hand the Mercedes S Class its ass, but that’s not the reason people buy Model S. That’s just a function of electric motor low end torque. The electric sports cars / muscle cars have yet to be born. Fisker Karma was the closest so far.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:25 PM   #72
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
My younger daughter may ask for a Tesla next year. If she does I will get her one.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:45 PM   #73
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
You old guys need to let it go, I started this thread due to people saying 'Because automatic is faster"

Guess what EV is faster.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:00 PM   #74
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
You old guys need to let it go, I started this thread due to people saying 'Because automatic is faster"

Guess what EV is faster.
Touché
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 02-24-2023, 06:47 AM   #75
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
My last electric car had a pin under the front to keep it in the slot in the track it ran on. My next one will too.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:02 AM   #76
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM2SS View Post
My last electric car had a pin under the front to keep it in the slot in the track it ran on. My next one will too.

Also Farmer, I don't think anyone is denying EVs can be incredibly fast. The numbers aren't all that matter to folks although certainly a part of it, especially on this forum.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:24 AM   #77
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Like I've always said, I don't care how fast they are, they are soulless and boring. They are fun for a minute but that quickly wears away because they do nothing to excite the senses other than give you the sensation of speed.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:41 AM   #78
snizzle
Recalled user

Right, i'm willing to give an EV a chance in certain segments (commuter runabout). I think many just know the shift to EVs will kill the enthusiast segment as well as racing. Part of the experience is sound, smell, feel. The personal customization to a degree disappears as the automakers lock us out. I guess they'll spend time faking those things as Stellatis has with the Charger Daytona EV but it won't be the same.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 02-28-2023, 12:17 PM   #79
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
What a sad state the automotive world is in if the Tesla is all that we have to look forward to.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:19 AM   #80
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
Quote:
I think many just know the shift to EVs will kill the enthusiast segment as well as racing.
Shift! That's it! We need an Electric Car with a manual transmission.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:25 AM   #81
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM2SS View Post
To shift the single speed transmission?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 03-01-2023, 09:23 AM   #82
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

This afternoon Tesla has their Investor Day presentation. Always good for a couple good surprises. I’m thinking they’ll finally commit to a start of production date for CyberTruck, maybe announce something about tech integrated from SpaceX. They’ll probably steer clear (pun intended) of any talk about robotaxi or full self driving.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:42 AM   #83
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Right, i'm willing to give an EV a chance in certain segments (commuter runabout). I think many just know the shift to EVs will kill the enthusiast segment as well as racing. Part of the experience is sound, smell, feel. The personal customization to a degree disappears as the automakers lock us out. I guess they'll spend time faking those things as Stellatis has with the Charger Daytona EV but it won't be the same.
I've seen the accusation that the Charger Daytona EV is really just reverse psychology marketing for their last call cars.

Quote:
Quote:
To shift the single speed transmission?
On a runabout why not? Squeeze every last mile out of a small battery. 2 motors even, on stacked 2 speeds. Someone with a truck driver's spirit could do well with it.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:45 AM   #84
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Muscle "feel" is when you feel the rumble of the engine in the steering wheel and through your hands. Most muscle cars can accomplish this, from the 180 hp Monte Carlo SS all the way up to the 650 hp ZL1 and the 700 hp and up Hellcats. I dare any tesla to try to replicate the feel of a willing and torque happy v8 through the steering wheel and cockpit.

All of this (as well as many other good things with the muscle cars and cars in general) will be lost with the advent of EVs.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote