Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-04-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Question Anybody Using Portable Carports/Garages?? Feedback Wanted!

I’m soon moving to a new location and won’t have the luxury of a driveway or garage anymore to keep my car safe from harm both human and elements. I already have a great outdoor car cover but I’d prefer not to use that as a long term solution because the shifting of it from wind causes abrasion spots on the paint. I was looking instead into purchasing a portable carport and viewed some youtube videos about various ones, but figured I’d reach out to the C5 community to get real feedback from you guys having any personal experience with them. Only real criteria needed is that it cannot be larger than a standard size parking lot space. I found this one pictured from Ikuby which was what I was leaning towards but I know there’s others like ShelterLogic, Abba, Quictent, Peaktop, Tentking.. TYIA for any suggestions!
Attached Images

BUILD STATUS: LOADING BOOST . . .
BatmaroBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #2
SSJ2

Drives: 2010 2SS CAMARO
I use these and a center lock down strap under the center with my quality car cover and it does not move around at all regardless of the weather. Car looks as good when I remove it after winter as it did when I put the cover on. Although I am intrigued by the car port you posted

https://www.amazon.com/Gust-Strap-Co...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBK Long tube headers, Hi flo cats, straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes. K+N CAI, Soler Performance Ported Throttle Body, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Phantom Grill, MGW flatstick shifter. 3.91 Gears, Ported Rod Mod Intake, ZTA Spoiler, Rohana RC22 20x10 20x11.
SSJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 03:10 PM   #3
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
When I was still in Oregon, I built my own from SCH80 PVC pipe and fittings with rebar stakes driven into the ground to hold the pipe. I tied down a nice heavy tarp over the framework. It lasted for years and housed 4 different cars over that time frame - 60 T-Bird, 77 Trans Am, 27 Model T and a 74 Monte Carlo. Oh and a 91 Camaro too.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
11REDSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Had one that was metal pipe and tarps that were cinched strapped to the poles. Tarp cam down in middle of winter due to high winds and snow..now I have to repaint my 76 Dodge Dart from the scratches the poles put on it.
Tune by GPI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Rotofab washer relocation, JRE scoop, JRE Trans dipstick, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR subframe connectors, Polyurethane diff bushing and rear cradle mount's, RSM front crash bar
11REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I think my old cube smart car storage was only about $250 month.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #6
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ2 View Post
I use these and a center lock down strap under the center with my quality car cover and it does not move around at all regardless of the weather. Car looks as good when I remove it after winter as it did when I put the cover on. Although I am intrigued by the car port you posted

https://www.amazon.com/Gust-Strap-Co...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Thanks for the suggestion! This seems like a simple solution since the center strap I had on my cover eventually frayed and broke while I was deployed which is what caused the paint damage from wind shift so if I can eliminate that problem then my current cover could work just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
When I was still in Oregon, I built my own from SCH80 PVC pipe and fittings with rebar stakes driven into the ground to hold the pipe. I tied down a nice heavy tarp over the framework. It lasted for years and housed 4 different cars over that time frame - 60 T-Bird, 77 Trans Am, 27 Model T and a 74 Monte Carlo. Oh and a 91 Camaro too.
Unfortunately I don’t have the spare time or resources to construct one from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11REDSS View Post
Had one that was metal pipe and tarps that were cinched strapped to the poles. Tarp cam down in middle of winter due to high winds and snow..now I have to repaint my 76 Dodge Dart from the scratches the poles put on it.
Ahh that hurts to hear about, sorry that happened to you! This is one of the concerns I have about an overhang tent since the northeast weather can be very unforgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
I think my old cube smart car storage was only about $250 month.
I already rent a storage unit space with cube smart for my belongings but it isn’t meant for automobile use (5th floor). Also with the new property purchase I’m a little strapped and $250 extra a month would be a tight squeeze right now. This housing market really took every penny out of me!

Old 09-08-2022, 09:53 PM   #7
SSJ2

This is what I use for the center strap. Not much chance of it breaking or fraying

https://a.co/d/4zUKyZS

BBK Long tube headers, Hi flo cats, straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes. K+N CAI, Soler Performance Ported Throttle Body, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Phantom Grill, MGW flatstick shifter. 3.91 Gears, Ported Rod Mod Intake, ZTA Spoiler, Rohana RC22 20x10 20x11.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:03 PM   #8
SSJ2

I’m super obsessive over what touches my paint Been through two Northeast winters with this cover and those hold downs and strap and not one mark

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00841ZXSQ...p_mob_ap_share

Old 09-09-2022, 08:48 AM   #9
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^On your next real estate purchase, insist on a garage on the property. I feel your pain in terms of dealing with a mortgage and renting. I have a few in my brood, but when I settle on some real estate I will insist on a garage compound so that I can be rid of my rental units.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:06 AM   #10
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

Thanks SSJ2 for the suggestions I will definitely consider these options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
^On your next real estate purchase, insist on a garage on the property. I feel your pain in terms of dealing with a mortgage and renting. I have a few in my brood, but when I settle on some real estate I will insist on a garage compound so that I can be rid of my rental units.

Good luck.
Yeah that’s the dream but unfortunately a property in Queens/Nassau/Suffolk with a garage is a luxury and feels impossible to afford on a single income while also trying to budget costs of living in this economy.. Would rather be forced to live out of the car than forced to have to sell it to make ends meet