Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
And so the build begins...

Well, I know me, and I knew it wouldn't take very long to do it. Fortunately my wife knows me too, and she is neither surprised nor upset with it, actually quite supportive. Heck, I have NEVER left ANY of my vehicles alone for very long!!

So.... 2017 ZL1 a10

Already installed:
Tony Mamo throttle body
Roto-Fab CAI

Waiting on but ordered:
ARH 2" primary ceramic coated headers/long system
ATI damper
ATI 15% lower pulley
Lingenfelter 100mm idler
New belt
Texas-Speed head/cam package
Ported LT4 heads
PAC .660 springs w/Ti retainers
VVT-1 Cam: 227/231, .635"/.635", 116 LSA +32% lobe
Upgraded trunion kit
7.850 pushrods
Comp Cams phase kit
ARP head studs
DSX Tuning e85 flex fuel kit
NGK (6510) LTR7IX-11 Spark Plug
All gaskets and bolts

And I am sure that I'm leaving some stuff out..

Will probably have it tuned at AMP in Grand Prairie since they are local to me and have done many Z06 and CTS-V builds. Do not want to go meth at this point as we go on several out of state drives and do not want to risk running out and not being able to find it. I know I am leaving performance on the table, but risk is simply not worth it to me. I did not get the C5R chain, but may order for piece of mind. Just have to figure out a way to re-locate the oil pump without having to buy a $120 tool that I would only use once!

One thing I have to say is that the guys at Texas Speed were fantastic! I actually stopped in today on my way from Dallas to San Marcos for military drill this afternoon. When I arrived around 1530 I started talking to a salesman by the name of Russell Kreig. Within 20 minutes of being there they had walked out to see my ZL1 (first one to come by shop although there was another guy there in a 17' 1LE) and then Russell asked if I wanted to take a tour of the shop. Hell yes I want to look around!!! Amazing... simply amazing. 36,000 sq/ft and they are in process of building next shop of 100,000sq/ft! They had STACKS of raw block castings from GM, and more raw head casting than you could shake a stick at! He took me through the shop where heads were being machined in huge Haas 5-axis CNC machines, two machines were turning cams, another two were machining blocks.... freaking un believable. I asked if it were ok to take pictures to which Russell politely declined (I understand, we can let civilians het into some of our military vehicles, but NO pics) or I would post some here. But needless to say, I was utterly impressed with what I saw happening there. And the staff was absolutely courteous and welcoming. You can tell that these guys LIKE their jobs and are proud of what they do. Real car people.

But anyways, next week I will start the tear down on my car. I am going to deliver my heads to them 7/20 and will pick up 8/4. They are going to do the head work, assemble, install trunion kit and VVT limiter in cam gear. I am hoping to have it all back together and tuned mid August, obviously it's not my daily driver! I will take plenty of pictures along the way and go through the build on here. Planning on doing everything with block in the car. I have done similar before so not too worried, but I do need to find all of the tq specs that I will need. Anyone have a link to an online factory manual?

So here we go! Will start in on it this next week...
Attached Images

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Wow...any idea what the HP is going to be when finished??

Also, if I'm not out of line...would you mind sharing an estimate of what the final cost may be?? I would just like to compare it as I followed the Calloway thread & find it interesting on what the gains to final HP ends up being cost wise. It sees pretty clear to me using a good shop that is not name brand / nation wide known is the logical choice in regards to performance return on investment.

I'm jealous of you guys. Although being new to the high HP sports car game admittedly, still trying to wrap my head around what I have off the lot...I also have this weird quirk of wanting to keep it totally stock for some peculiar reason. Maybe I'll get over it once I get my taste on a track.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
USP45

No, I don't mind. I am looking at around 6.5k in parts and am guessing between $850-1200 to tune since it will have both a 93 and an e85 tune. I am sure that AMP, like Vengeance Racing, will not be the cheapest around as far as tuning, but I have had a tuner lead to a blown engine in an Evo I had by being too aggressive. Trust me, it's better to pay $200-500 more for a good tuner up front than it is for a new engine!!

I am going to guesstimate 650whp on 93 and somewhere around 700whp on e85. That is just a guess though, will just have to see where it shakes out. I was at 568/580 with just the throttle body so that could be a bit low. I just don't know right now...
Old 07-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
ssrallyred

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 M6
This is awesome ! Subscribed for the build !
ssrallyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I didn't know you could actually do both 93 & e85 in this circumstance...sorry for the stupid question, but is it critical for you to get the tank down to empty if you want to switch fuels??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
USP45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I didn't know you could actually do both 93 & e85 in this circumstance...sorry for the stupid question, but is it critical for you to get the tank down to empty if you want to switch fuels??
No, that is the advantage of running a flex fuel sensor over meth injection. Once the e85 tables are set the flex fuel sensor tells the ecu what percent you are running and adjusts accordingly. Depending on how much meth you are running it could be somewhere around 20% of your total fuel volume at WOT. If you run out of meth, or the pump stops for whatever reason you can go lean quick. There is some argument over whether the ecu can/would protect the engine in such a circumstance, but with e85 you do not have to worry because the sensor tells the engine how much of a ratio you have. The ecu then adjusts. There is nothing to tell the ecu when the meth is not spraying, so it does not know when you are out..
Old 07-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
djfury05

I would be very disappointed if it only made 650 and 700rwhp. Add a meth kit.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I'm sure this has been discussed already but does the zl1s fuel system support e85? Filter, lines, injectors, etc etc. My old car I had to swap out filter, injectors, and even swap out a hose that was e85 safe with an inline filter. As we all know e85 is corrosive.
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #10
7WSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfury05 View Post
No kidding. Bolt ons should get you to those numbers.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #11
USP45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvedx27 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed already but does the zl1s fuel system support e85? Filter, lines, injectors, etc etc. My old car I had to swap out filter, injectors, and even swap out a hose that was e85 safe with an inline filter. As we all know e85 is corrosive.
From what I understand the fuel system is safe with e85. That being said, I will not park it for any length of time with e85 in it but will run tank to nearly empty and fill up with 93. I just will not take a chance on it.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #12
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
From what I understand the fuel system is safe with e85. That being said, I will not park it for any length of time with e85 in it but will run tank to nearly empty and fill up with 93. I just will not take a chance on it.
Yea if knew my old car was gonna sit for a little (more than a week) I would run it really low and fill up on 93.
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:10 AM   #13
USP45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
No kidding. Bolt ons should get you to those numbers.
I think my numbers are somewhat conservative as Z06's with just intake, headers, pulley and tune have been around 640-650whp without e85 or meth. I just do not want to throw a big number out there and not hit it. I am not planning on meth however due to taking road trips where I might not be able to find it and then have to worry about "staying out of the throttle" the whole time so as not to hurt something. I guess I'll see where it lands some time next month!
Old 07-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #14
z0666

Drives: chevrolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfury05 View Post
Why would he add meth when he will be running e85 ..? E85 will do worlds more for the car than meth

Pretty sure OP is doing the classic underestimating of hp numbers so he doesnt have room for disappointment when the numbers get laid down on the dyno lol. I do the same, i rather be surprised it made more than what i thought vs being disappointed it made less

How was the difference in responsiveness and sound with the cai+ ported tb? i plan on that being my first mod as well
z0666 is offline   Reply With Quote