Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Review: Wolf's WF-1NT Clear & Coat and Poorboy's Spray and Rinse (Pic Heavy)

I recently got a sample in of Wolf's WF-1NT Nano wheel cleaner or "Clear & Coat" it's billed as a wheel cleaner that incorporates nano technology as a sealant into one product. I have been using Poorboy's Spray and Rinse and topping with V7. So today I decided to put them to the test on cleaning and after 1 week I will be revisiting them to see how the sealant nature stacks up.

Here are the products

Poorboy's (topped with V7) vs Wolf's

Note: After using Poorboy's quite a bit I diluted it 1:1 and have noticed no cleaning difference in it.

Here are the wheels I started out with, for reference I only tested the front wheels as they have the most dust. The brakes are stock 4-pot Brembo's on Camaro SS's.

Poorboy's is up first, I did a one-minute dwell time before rinsing off then wiping down the rims with a microfiber.

You can see on the bottom of the rim a slight area where I wiped it off to show the true color of the rim (note these are clear coated aluminum) and you can see the amount of dust that has accumulated.

During the dwell time.

Showering them off

And here is the wheel after being hosed down but before wiping.

After wiped down, note the rotor color change caused by it. It does come off after just a quick drive and it's just oxidation.

Here is how much dirt I wiped off that wasn't removed by rinsing.

Next up is Wolf's, again applied, 1 minute dwell time, then rinse off and ultimately wipe down

Rims before, again slight wipe down in the bottom center to show original rim color

During application, it didn't foam as much or drip anywhere near as much as PB

After spraying, before wiping

After wipedown

And how much dirt I pulled off

Total amount of product used

PB about 2 oz.

Wolf's about 1 oz

And here is the results of the towel head to head (Wolf's is on the left, PB on the right)

Both of these products worked well and are roughly the same price at 32 oz for $16 for PB and $17 for 1 Liter or 33oz for Wolf's.

Poorboy's Pros:
Cleans better
Proven can be diluted 1:1 and not drastically effect cleaning so you get 2x the product
More economical

Cons:
Clogs Sprayers after a few uses it took quite a bit of work to get it spraying again .
Smell (this is personal experience, but it really effects for my breathing if it's windy or I'm too close to it, feels like it's burning my nose and just overall uncomfortable)
Rotor Color (minor but it does look bad until the car is driven a few miles.

Wolf's Pros:
Smell and this is big for me as I didn't mind using it where Poorboy's is very unpleasant to use.
Doesn't change the rotor color much
Sealant built in to it

Cons:
Didn't clean as well

Final thoughts: Overall for now, until the sealant properties are proven Poorboy's is a better cleaning agent but for me since it really effect me and I don't want to wear a mask while cleaning my rims, I'd choose Wolf's. But Poorboy's is definitely a better cleaner but I have seen it slightly effect caliper paint if agitated so don't scrub at all with it, just rinse off.

Thanks for reading, let me know if you have any questions or tips on how to clean them or keep them clean better.

Up ahead I'll be reviewing Wolf's black out gel against Meg's Hyper Dressing.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Nice writeup. I consider poor boys an unusable product for the clogging of sprayers. Cleans fairly well, just ruined every sprayer I've ever run it through.

I also think its a scam how they advertise it as spray and rinse, but then you have to wipe it down anyway and all that dirt comes off.

It's an all around fail in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
ec1990

I just think it's impossible to have a true spray and rinse type product. No matter what some amount will have to be brushed or wiped down.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I just think it's impossible to have a true spray and rinse type product. No matter what some amount will have to be brushed or wiped down.
Agreed.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Agreed.... the only things we've been able to come up with that were true spray and rinse that REALLY cleaned the wheel were so caustic that you risk damage.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Agreed.... the only things we've been able to come up with that were true spray and rinse that REALLY cleaned the wheel were so caustic that you risk damage.
And I'm sure that product wouldn't be very useful for a wide variety of wheel types (metals, coatings, etc....) . Either way both broke down dirt and grime so well a brush is hardly needed a simple wipe after rinsing off wipes away anything that remains. It'd be like foaming down a car only and expecting all the dirt to be gone as well.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Completely agree. That's why I disagree with labeling it as such.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
ec1990

So I figured living in the desert after a couple hundred miles all these wheels would see would be some dust and open road. Well everything was thrown at these wheels from falling ash from a wildfire, to rain ( I know in the desert), and to top it off the water main broke down the road so I had to go through a bit of water and a ton of mud (spent 2 hours cleaning the fenderwells) these saw quite the gauntlet.

Wolf's

PB/V7

Overall looking at the rims and spokes Wolf's definitely were quite a bit cleaner which is understandable since it's designed for the heat and wear and tear over V7.

With this concluded for well-kept rims Wolf's is a great choice, but it's not bad to keep a strong cleaner on hand for those times when you get wheels that are very dirty or loaded up with break dust or grime. Wolf's just doesn't have the bite that Poorboy's does.

Another interesting thing I found is that the sprayer that comes with it needs to be cleaned out, mine is useless now because of the chemicals and now it won't spray. I didn't keep up with cleaning it out. Oddly enough my Home Depot cheapo sprayer is still working like a champ.

Last edited by ec1990; 07-13-2013 at 04:19 PM.