The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #2605
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Gyms finally opening here on the 26th! I wonder how heavy (or light) to start back up? I usually start with 60% of my previous cycles heaviest weight, but that is with a week off in between, not 2 months. I know I haven't been doing enough as I have only done pushups, bodyweight squats and pullups a couple times since the gyms closed. I have also lost about 6 pounds of muscle.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #2606
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobcat View Post
Gyms finally opening here on the 26th! I wonder how heavy (or light) to start back up? I usually start with 60% of my previous cycles heaviest weight, but that is with a week off in between, not 2 months. I know I haven't been doing enough as I have only done pushups, bodyweight squats and pullups a couple times since the gyms closed. I have also lost about 6 pounds of muscle.
Yeah, it's going to be an interesting time with gyms. I am not sure I am ready to be in a closed room in that kind of environment just yet.

While I have lost a decent amount of muscle too and only doing cardio, I would rather hold out for a month and see how the dust settles first before I go into a closed room with sweat and heavy breathing where air is circulated in a HVAC system.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #2607
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Yeah, it's going to be an interesting time with gyms. I am not sure I am ready to be in a closed room in that kind of environment just yet.

While I have lost a decent amount of muscle too and only doing cardio, I would rather hold out for a month and see how the dust settles first before I go into a closed room with sweat and heavy breathing where air is circulated in a HVAC system.
Same here. When things open up a bit more here in Jersey I'll start paying more attention to town and county infection rates. I'm not down with people forcefully exhaling their lifts all over me.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #2608
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Nonsense. So let's just take some #'s....if your max on a lift is 315 and let's say you use 250 for "working" sets. So you will start back with 150?

If you have lifted for a while and are in "lifting" shape no reason it shouldn't be 90%, even after 2 months. If you are coming back from a true "injury" (surgery or the likes) then yes you should probably dial it back.

Get the sand out of your ******

You are in OH....take a trip to Westside....that will cure you.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #2609
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
Same here. When things open up a bit more here in Jersey I'll start paying more attention to town and county infection rates. I'm not down with people forcefully exhaling their lifts all over me.
We have been back ever since the reopening but it's a small town and there aren't very many people. If I still lived in ATL I may have chosen a different path.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #2610
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

This is how we remember Memorial Day....

https://themurphchallenge.com/pages/the-workout

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #2611
kevint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
This is how we remember Memorial Day....

https://themurphchallenge.com/pages/the-workout
This will be the fourth year in a row I'm tracking it. Trying to decide now if I want to push for a PR or "just be happy I can work out." Ultimately it'll dictate just how pissed at myself I want to be that I didn't do more to prepare when it's all said and done.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #2612
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
This will be the fourth year in a row I'm tracking it. Trying to decide now if I want to push for a PR or "just be happy I can work out." Ultimately it'll dictate just how pissed at myself I want to be that I didn't do more to prepare when it's all said and done.
My vote is this day, this particular workout, you let it all hang out. For me though, even without a vest on, my PR is 54 and change. I don’t expect to even be close to that this year.

Monique wears a vest and has been prepping. She’s done pull-ups and pushups throughout this week (no need for air squats) and Thursday she ran a mile with the vest on in 6:19. Her PR is 39 and change.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #2613
kevint

Quote:
My vote is this day, this particular workout, you let it all hang out. For me though, even without a vest on, my PR is 54 and change. I don’t expect to even be close to that this year.

Monique wears a vest and has been prepping. She’s done pull-ups and pushups throughout this week (no need for air squats) and Thursday she ran a mile with the vest on in 6:19. Her PR is 39 and change.
Mother of God
Old 05-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #2614
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Quote:
Nonsense. So let's just take some #'s....if your max on a lift is 315 and let's say you use 250 for "working" sets. So you will start back with 150?

If you have lifted for a while and are in "lifting" shape no reason it shouldn't be 90%, even after 2 months. If you are coming back from a true "injury" (surgery or the likes) then yes you should probably dial it back.

Get the sand out of your ******

You are in OH....take a trip to Westside....that will cure you.
My mistake, I don't know what I was thinking. My warm ups are usually about 60% of my work sets. I usually start my workout cycle at 70-75% of my top work sets. So say my best bench is 250x8, I would usually start out at about 185 for 8-10 reps and add 5-10 pounds each workout for 10-15 weeks or so and try to surpass my last best work set, so my goal would be 255-260x8 using this example. But I haven't even finished a workout cycle in over a year and a half. I don't know what the deal is as I've been doing this type of workout for years, but lately I've just either been getting minor injuries or taking too long between each body part workout and having to start over. Part of the problem may be my work schedule as I work 12 hour night shifts and its hard to work out right after work and also first thing after waking up isn't good either for heavy squats or deadlifts. I really need to find another gym that is open 24 hours, but nothing is close like the Y. IDK, it could just be my age as I just turned 50 too. I try to train each main muscle about once a week, but if I go any longer than that, the strength just isn't there and less than that and I don't recover enough. What I have been doing is legs and tris the first workout, back and shoulders next workout and then chest, bis and abs the last workout of the week. I have experimented with different types of routines in the past as I've been lifting for over 35 years, but nothing else seems to work as good for me being a hard gainer and not taking roids, ect. I probably shouldn't complain as I'm roughly the same size as I was in my late 20's, although my weights on the main lifts are not as high obviously as I rarely try PR's or do reps below 6. I just can't seem to gain much muscle anymore and don't think I'll ever hit my goal of 200 pounds. I came close a couple times, but also started to put too much fat on. BTW, I'm just under 5'8" and weigh 190 now (down from 195).

Last edited by Mrbobcat; 05-23-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #2615
Millson13

Drives: Camaro 4
Quote:

Our hall for its occasionally opens. You just need to start and everything will be fine. At first, everything will hurt, but in a different way. I do not advise you to get involved in proteins
Millson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #2616
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
My mistake, I don't know what I was thinking. My warm ups are usually about 60% of my work sets. I usually start my workout cycle at 70-75% of my top work sets. So say my best bench is 250x8, I would usually start out at about 185 for 8-10 reps and add 5-10 pounds each workout for 10-15 weeks or so and try to surpass my last best work set, so my goal would be 255-260x8 using this example. But I haven't even finished a workout cycle in over a year and a half. I don't know what the deal is as I've been doing this type of workout for years, but lately I've just either been getting minor injuries or taking too long between each body part workout and having to start over. Part of the problem may be my work schedule as I work 12 hour night shifts and its hard to work out right after work and also first thing after waking up isn't good either for heavy squats or deadlifts. I really need to find another gym that is open 24 hours, but nothing is close like the Y. IDK, it could just be my age as I just turned 50 too. I try to train each main muscle about once a week, but if I go any longer than that, the strength just isn't there and less than that and I don't recover enough. What I have been doing is legs and tris the first workout, back and shoulders next workout and then chest, bis and abs the last workout of the week. I have experimented with different types of routines in the past as I've been lifting for over 35 years, but nothing else seems to work as good for me being a hard gainer and not taking roids, ect. I probably shouldn't complain as I'm roughly the same size as I was in my late 20's, although my weights on the main lifts are not as high obviously as I rarely try PR's or do reps below 6. I just can't seem to gain much muscle anymore and don't think I'll ever hit my goal of 200 pounds. I came close a couple times, but also started to put too much fat on. BTW, I'm just under 5'8" and weigh 190 now (down from 195).
Haha......

I've highlighted what I think your major "problem" is. Google law of accommodation weightlifting and read. I am NOT a know it all...I do know a lot though....through lifting for many years like you (this year makes 33), lifting with people much stronger than me, trial and error, reading, etc.

A conversion to a conventional WS program may serve you well. There are 2 max effort days (one for a squatting movement, one for a pressing movement) and 2 dynamic days (lighter weight days).

A change would for sure do you good if you've been doing the same thing for year. But in addition it may let you be more focused. I am assuming you don't work 7 days a week, and most likely 5. If that is the case you can put your 2 heavy days on your off days, the 2 dynamic days some other time throughout the week, and have a few "extra" short workouts in between.

Chuck Vogelpohl about 20 years told me to do this and it has served me well. Up until I tore my pec a couple of years ago I was still setting PR's.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #2617
kevint

58:52 murph, chipper-style, no vest. 5:12 slower than last year.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #2618
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
58:52 murph, chipper-style, no vest. 5:12 slower than last year.
Man just finishing is an accomplishment! Good job.

I misspoke earlier....Monique’s pr was 48 and change doing it all the way through (with a vest). Her pr doing it chipper style is 39 and change.

Today she did it all the way through and pr’d by 2 mins...46:18.

She’s going to do it again either Thursday or Friday chipper style to see if she can beat that 39 and change.

Her hand afterwards...
Attached Images

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody