Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #15
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Mini Cooper Clubman with 300 plus HP
Old 09-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #16
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
So I too daily a Prius (regular not the C) and have noticed the mpg’s suck since I drive like a normal person/faster than average versus the typical Prius driver. Let me tell you something, all those cars you have listed are going to accelerate slowly versus a non hybrid car. The reason is the stupid cvt’s they put in them. I get why they do it (mpg) but it is sometimes dangerous how long it takes to accelerate in them. When I first got my Prius I thought it was going to feel quicker than the civic I had at the time. It did not. It makes way more power (electric + gas engine combined) but the STUPID cvt’s keep them from accelerating how they should. If I were you I would just get a Mazda 3. I don’t believe they have cvt’s and you can get them in a hatchback and they will fit 4 people more comfortably than a Prius C.
m6-lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #17
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
If I were you I would just get a Mazda 3. I don’t believe they have cvt’s and you can get them in a hatchback and they will fit 4 people more comfortably than a Prius C.
If you don't mind that the user-interface screen is not touch-sensative.
I checked out Mazda3 -- I'd seriously consider it (has AWD!), but you operate the system with a controller on the console.
sold: 2000 Mercury Cougar -- V6, citrus gold, 5-speed, sunroof
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #18
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
I can't believe you think the Prius handles better than a 17 2SS Camaro!!
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:53 PM   #19
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
TBH my wifes 2018 honda coupe feels pretty sporty at speeds under 50 in town,if thats the kind of driving youre going to do...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #20
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
the wifes honda civic has been pretty impressive,and sportier than it should be.car and driver likes them too.

I second that. I may buy a 6 speed Hatchback 4dr manual just for fun. Motor Trend loves the handling.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #21
SicSixXx

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Definitely the 2ss 1le package bra
SicSixXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #22
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Newer Toyota Prius (non C)
Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
Kia Niro Hybrid
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Honda CRV Hybrid

Thoughts?

I'd just buy a Camry Hybrid LE and be done with this boring exercise. Meets all your requirements and the base model is cheap.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:31 AM   #23
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
So I currently have 3 cars…

2017 Camaro 2SS (pretty satisfied with although not afraid of upgrading to a ZL1 or a C8)

1999 Camaro Z28 (LS3 swapped and cammed. I’m not trading or selling it.)

2015 Toyota Prius C (mini-Prius used for daily commuting and also business purposes, my main issue with this car is its too small and it rarely gets the EPA suggested fuel mileage of 50 MPG. In real world my mileage ranges between 30 and 45 MPG and it seems mostly to do with the weather than my driving.)

The Prius, I haul people and goods around in. It’s not stout at all and I have to becareful in terms of merging into traffic here in TX but it’s decent enough I suppose. I wouldn’t beable to do my business without it, I definitely need it’s fuel mileage and 4 doors. The Hatchback aspect of it is a very welcomed PLUS side but it’s not a MUST, although it really helps when I have to haul stuff.

The positives about my Prius C:

— It handles extremely well. Better than both my SS and my Z28 mainly because it’s so light, it’s barely 2,000 lbs. If it had about 100 more HP it would be quite a fun car to drive.

— It’s compact … I can whip it around anything and fit through just about anything.

— It’s economical … It doesn’t hold much fuel but a tank will last approx 300 - 350 miles and cost at most $20 per fillup. Maintenance such as tires and brakes are a joke in terms of cost to replace compared to my SS.

— It’s reliable … it’s given me the ‘least’ mechanical problems out of all 3 of my cars.

The Negatives about my Prius C:

— It’s very low on power… dangerously low. It has less than 100 HP and out here we have 75 and 85 MPH speed limits where merging into high speed traffic takes a lot of creativity. This is amplified when taking passengers around, you can literally feel the strain this car is experiencing when just doing normal driving.

— It’s small. It can barely fit 3 passengers comfortably. While the hatchback aspect of it is nice, it doesn’t leave very much room in the hatch to take belongings.

— It’s fuel mileage is extremely turbulent. It can vary ALOT, and most of it is due to uncontrollable factors such as weather, humidity, headwind. Even driving economically makes minimal impact. It’s like it will decide if it wants to get Hybrid gas mileage or sh!t gas mileage on its own. Sometimes it barely gets better mileage than my SS, other times it gets into the mid - high 40 MPG range.

— It’s terrible on road trips. I actually still drive my SS on road trips because this car has 0 passing power, climbing steep hills is an impossiblility and you’re pretty much doomed if you get into a bad situation on the highway. That plus despite it getting better fuel mileage than my SS, it still has to stop TWICE as much on the highway because the tank is so small.

The car is mainly an around-town car and it serves its purpose fairly well but I’m coming to a point where it will need more maintenance than just oil changes and tires and I’m not sure if this is a car I want to invest in.

If I were to replace a car it would likely be this car first.

I need a vehicle making atleast 40 MPG, preferably 50ish as it can be driven as much as 300 miles daily.

Hatchback isn’t a must but it’s heavily preferred due to added capacity for storage (and thats pretty important for what I do). Definitely need more power than my Prius C offers.

4 doors is a must because I often haul people around. This is why I can’t use the Camaro’s

Reliability is also a must. I put cars through hell. It needs to beable to stand up to some abuse.

Power, it needs to be stronger than my Prius but doesn’t need to be a sports car in this area.

Handling, it would be so badass if I could find something that handles as well as my Prius C but most cars weigh more than it does so most likely I won’t be getting this.

Storage, this is super important.

So far I’ve been thinking

Toyota Camry Hybrid
Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
Kia Niro Hybrid
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Honda CRV Hybrid

Thoughts?

I wouldn't buy any of those. I try to buy American at all times if possible.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #24
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
So I currently have 3 cars…

2017 Camaro 2SS (pretty satisfied with although not afraid of upgrading to a ZL1 or a C8)

1999 Camaro Z28 (LS3 swapped and cammed. I’m not trading or selling it.)

2015 Toyota Prius C (mini-Prius used for daily commuting and also business purposes, my main issue with this car is its too small and it rarely gets the EPA suggested fuel mileage of 50 MPG. In real world my mileage ranges between 30 and 45 MPG and it seems mostly to do with the weather than my driving.)

The Prius, I haul people and goods around in. It’s not stout at all and I have to becareful in terms of merging into traffic here in TX but it’s decent enough I suppose. I wouldn’t beable to do my business without it, I definitely need it’s fuel mileage and 4 doors. The Hatchback aspect of it is a very welcomed PLUS side but it’s not a MUST, although it really helps when I have to haul stuff.

The positives about my Prius C:

— It handles extremely well. Better than both my SS and my Z28 mainly because it’s so light, it’s barely 2,000 lbs. If it had about 100 more HP it would be quite a fun car to drive.

— It’s compact … I can whip it around anything and fit through just about anything.

— It’s economical … It doesn’t hold much fuel but a tank will last approx 300 - 350 miles and cost at most $20 per fillup. Maintenance such as tires and brakes are a joke in terms of cost to replace compared to my SS.

— It’s reliable … it’s given me the ‘least’ mechanical problems out of all 3 of my cars.

The Negatives about my Prius C:

— It’s very low on power… dangerously low. It has less than 100 HP and out here we have 75 and 85 MPH speed limits where merging into high speed traffic takes a lot of creativity. This is amplified when taking passengers around, you can literally feel the strain this car is experiencing when just doing normal driving.

— It’s small. It can barely fit 3 passengers comfortably. While the hatchback aspect of it is nice, it doesn’t leave very much room in the hatch to take belongings.

— It’s fuel mileage is extremely turbulent. It can vary ALOT, and most of it is due to uncontrollable factors such as weather, humidity, headwind. Even driving economically makes minimal impact. It’s like it will decide if it wants to get Hybrid gas mileage or sh!t gas mileage on its own. Sometimes it barely gets better mileage than my SS, other times it gets into the mid - high 40 MPG range.

— It’s terrible on road trips. I actually still drive my SS on road trips because this car has 0 passing power, climbing steep hills is an impossiblility and you’re pretty much doomed if you get into a bad situation on the highway. That plus despite it getting better fuel mileage than my SS, it still has to stop TWICE as much on the highway because the tank is so small.

The car is mainly an around-town car and it serves its purpose fairly well but I’m coming to a point where it will need more maintenance than just oil changes and tires and I’m not sure if this is a car I want to invest in.

If I were to replace a car it would likely be this car first.

I need a vehicle making atleast 40 MPG, preferably 50ish as it can be driven as much as 300 miles daily.

Hatchback isn’t a must but it’s heavily preferred due to added capacity for storage (and thats pretty important for what I do). Definitely need more power than my Prius C offers.

4 doors is a must because I often haul people around. This is why I can’t use the Camaro’s

Reliability is also a must. I put cars through hell. It needs to beable to stand up to some abuse.

Power, it needs to be stronger than my Prius but doesn’t need to be a sports car in this area.

Handling, it would be so badass if I could find something that handles as well as my Prius C but most cars weigh more than it does so most likely I won’t be getting this.

Storage, this is super important.

So far I’ve been thinking

Toyota Camry Hybrid
Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
Kia Niro Hybrid
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Honda CRV Hybrid

Thoughts?
It's more expensive to buy than the options you have listed, but you might be a good candidate for a Tesla Model Y. It ticks all the boxes on your stated requirements, especially if you get the "Performance" model, which is at least as fast as a Camaro by most of the metrics you'd be likely to notice in road use. Model 3 is a little cheaper, and faster, but not a hatchback.

Between the options you listed, I'd be looking at the Toyotas, personally.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #25
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Ford Focus ST or Subaru WRX both are great handling pocket rockets.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #26
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
I bought fost new nov.2016. Put 94 k on it. Intercooler,catless,32mm rsb. Camaro v6 6 spd.handles better, faster. Fuel cost about same. 2014 Mazda 3 best driving car I ever had.
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #27
Callaway SC630

Drives: 2020 Callaway Camaro SC630
Dodge Challenger?
Old 09-13-2021, 12:06 PM   #28
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway SC630 View Post
Dodge Challenger?
OP has this requirement: "I need a vehicle making atleast 40 MPG, preferably 50ish as it can be driven as much as 300 miles daily."

...when that comfy, 4000-4500-pound boat delivers 50 or even just 40+ mpg, I'll stand in awe and wonder

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote