Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #253
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
I visited the Mustang6g forum, and was very pleased to find that the majority spoke very highly about the Performance for the $ of the Camaro SS1LE VS the Mustang Mach l, except for the zombie brand loyalist that we also have on this side.

What surprise me the most was the comments from Sam Strano for whom I have my strongest respect as both a professional sport car competitor driver and a very honest performance Parts seller whom he tries his own products at the track. He mentions that the performance of both of his cars at the track: Mach l and SS1LE are very similar, but he didn't not trust the brakes of the Camaro consider them dangerous under track conditions.
Is the first time that I hear this type of comments about the 6th gen Camaro's Brakes. I was surprised

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr....161487/page-2
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 08-14-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #254
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Stupid question, but is he using the stock fluid in the SS 1LE?

Just double checking, because if he is, then I could see where he is coming from. Otherwise, I don't know why you wouldn't trust the SS 1LE brakes with a good fluid.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:55 PM   #255
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Stupid question, but is he using the stock fluid in the SS 1LE?

Just double checking, because if he is, then I could see where he is coming from. Otherwise, I don't know why you wouldn't trust the SS 1LE brakes with a good fluid.
He says it was Redline RL600.

Quote:
Redline RL 600. 604 dry boiling point 400 wet. A week old. Never had a problem with it in my Corvette. Never had a problem with it and anything else.
The only fluid property I can even think of that might have been involved is viscosity.

What I don't know is whether the SS 1LE or Camaros in general specifically call for low-viscosity fluid, or whether RL600 meets LV criteria or is of a viscosity that their ABS HCU can live with. So file the above under "wild-ass guess".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-14-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #256
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I visited the Mustang6g forum, and was very pleased to find that the majority spoke very highly about the Performance for the $ of the Camaro SS1LE VS the Mustang Mach l, except for the zombie brand loyalist that we also have on this side.

What surprise me the most was the comments from Sam Strano for whom I have my strongest respect as both a professional sport car competitor driver and a very honest performance Parts seller whom he tries his own products at the track. He mentions that the performance of both of his cars at the track: Mach l and SS1LE are very similar, but he didn't not trust the brakes of the Camaro consider them dangerous under track conditions.
Is the first time that I hear this type of comments about the 6th gen Camaro's Brakes. I was surprised

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr....161487/page-2
Isn't the 1LE brakes Brembo front and rear whereas the Mach 1 is Brembo front and regular non brembo rear calipers?
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #257
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Probably due to a bad bleed. Poor factory QC.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #258
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Probably due to a bad bleed. Poor factory QC.
All the 1LE owners that track their car all the time would probably roll their eyes & walk away if he made that statement to their face.

That’s about where I’m at.

All systems come with limitations, learning them is up to the owner. Which I’m sure many have & did. To call them dangerous or deadly is up there with one of the most ridiculous statements I’ve heard in a while. With the correct fluid they should be better than anything else out there stock outside of super car status.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #259
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
All ABS systems have the potential to not fully engage the brakes upon demand if it thinks one side of your car is on a low traction surface and the other is not.

Basically, if the passenger side falls off the road and the driver stabs the brakes the car can spin into oncoming traffic. ABS systems will therefore limit braking forces for a short duration to prevent this.

On track this can be an issue... it's not common but it can happen to any car. A few weeks ago it happened at an autox race to a GT350 and it didn't stop in time to avoid hitting a wall of cones you're not supposed to go past.

I've never experienced it, in part because I try not to stab the brakes, but I also use pads with slightly less bite than OEM. If you put in the grabbiest pads you can find and have tires that grip better vs OEM it can make it more likely to happen.

'19+ Camaros are better than previous years and AFAIK this behavior (commonly called ice mode) was disabled in the ZL1 1LE entirely.

The car requires more sensors and a more complicated system to address this. but it hasn't been done perfectly yet by any manufacturer AFAIK.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:07 AM   #260
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post

'19+ Camaros are better than previous years.

I don't get it. Why 6th gen 19+ Camaros are better than the 6th gen '16-'18 year Camaros? Which were the performance improvements?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 08-15-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:35 AM   #261
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I don't get it. Why 6th gen 19+ Camaros are better than '16-'18 year Camaros? Which were the improvements?
Apparently they hired an engineer to improve the ABS software, so it's a little different in '19+ cars. Other things changed in the electrical system so it can't be used on previous models.

IMO, it seems to mainly be an issue if you put more aggressive tires and brake pads on the car, then stab the brakes while the car is unsettled. So mfg'ers don't consider it an issue while those who do this and drive this way do.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #262
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
He says it was Redline RL600.

The only fluid property I can even think of that might have been involved is viscosity.

What I don't know is whether the SS 1LE or Camaros in general specifically call for low-viscosity fluid, or whether RL600 meets LV criteria or is of a viscosity that their ABS HCU can live with. So file the above under "wild-ass guess".

Norm
In that case, pretty odd that he calls the Camaro brakes deadly. No idea what could be wrong, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
Isn't the 1LE brakes Brembo front and rear whereas the Mach 1 is Brembo front and regular non brembo rear calipers?
Looks like so, yes.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #263
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
That camaro had 40k on it. It probably has had a pad replacement and I wouldn’t be surprised if it has stoptech or some other non track oriented pad in it so that the owner wouldn’t have to deal with dust. Based on Randy’s comments I’m pretty sure this is what occurred.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #264
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
That camaro had 40k on it. It probably has had a pad replacement and I wouldn’t be surprised if it has stoptech or some other non track oriented pad in it so that the owner wouldn’t have to deal with dust. Based on Randy’s comments I’m pretty sure this is what occurred.
I would never expect Sam to favor aesthetics such as low dusting over braking performance at a track day. I've known Sam for nearly 20 years at this point; his name crops up in SCCA's Solo Rulebook (multi-time F-Stock National champion) going back that far, and he's been tracking for several years as well. You do know that he's the name behind Stranoparts, no?

Norm
Old 08-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #265
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I would never expect Sam to favor aesthetics such as low dusting over braking performance at a track day. I've known Sam for nearly 20 years at this point; his name crops up in SCCA's Solo Rulebook (multi-time F-Stock National champion) going back that far, and he's been tracking for several years as well. You do know that he's the name behind Stranoparts, no?

Norm
My mistake, I thought we were talking about Randy pobsts comparison video of the Mach 1 vs ss 1le
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #266
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

I will note that Sam tends to hold strong opinions, but those opinions are based on experience.

Norm

Tags
camaro, mach 1, motortrend, mustang, ss1le