Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Anyone tried Non-intercooled Maggie kit + Meth?

The heartbeat kits seem like the hot ticket for daily driver. I have owned top mount blower cars, turbo, cars, and driven centrifugal cars, always enjoyed the top mount due to their reliability and instant torque.

Leaning towards the maggie non intercooler kit, i know they are 5 psi limited, and smaller gains than an intercooled kit.

I would like to try a 10 psi pulley with a 50/50 alky kit through a non intercooler Maggie kit. I have good quality 93 oct gas all around town. If possible, I feel this set up will fulfill my end goals. anything close to 600 rwhp is plenty for me and the street. Tune will be custom, no canned or conservative manufacturer tune.

Has anyone tried this?

ps: i know an intercooled maggie kit is just $2K more and will easily give me the results I desire safely. Am interested in chemical cooling the non intercooled Maggie kit.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
1le32907

Drives: Summit white 1le ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
The heartbeat kits seem like the hot ticket for daily driver. I have owned top mount blower cars, turbo, cars, and driven centrifugal cars, always enjoyed the top mount due to their reliability and instant torque.

Leaning towards the maggie non intercooler kit, i know they are 5 psi limited, and smaller gains than an intercooled kit.

I would like to try a 10 psi pulley with a 50/50 alky kit through a non intercooler Maggie kit. I have good quality 93 oct gas all around town. If possible, I feel this set up will fulfill my end goals. anything close to 600 rwhp is plenty for me and the street. Tune will be custom, no canned or conservative manufacturer tune.

Has anyone tried this?

ps: i know an intercooled maggie kit is just $2K more and will easily give me the results I desire safely. Am interested in chemical cooling the non intercooled Maggie kit.
Alky control stated that for a pd blower you should run 100 meth as the water can damage the blower
1le32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
I was also interested in that blower when I saw the price. Asked several friends who all asked me if I want to enjoy the torque and performance consistently through the entire drive session. And the obvious answer was "yes"... also was asked if I wanted to get some pulls in and then have to park the car raise the hood to let temps settle to get that power again... I was like NO...

I'm not a qualified gear head but the research I did led me to the conclusion I just had to have an intercooler. The whole point you already know keeping IATs lower so the power is consistent.

The big question I have is once you have that non-intercooled blower can you add the intercooler later? I personally think based on your post already owning top mount blowers before that you will be let down saving that $2k and looking to have what the full package delivers after the fact.

You know the old adage... get what you pay for I really think it holds true big time here. Just my opinion though.
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
LT1ornothing

you can add the intercooler later to the non intercooled kit. I feel like more effective cooling through meth at a lower cost is a better route for me. Meth seems more effective than the Maggie intercooler set up at lowering IATs and keeping them low. Im not worried about running out of meth, an extra gallon is super easy and safe to transport with some common sense. I dont autocross or road race. Some spirited driving and ocassional 1/8 & 1/4 mile wot runs is all it will see.

Last edited by LT1ornothing; 07-18-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Hang tight!

I'm running that test next week, we just setup the dyno engine with the NON intercooled Maggie, an AEM dual nozzle kit, pump gas (91 octane) and 50/50 water meth to see where it ends up.

I'll post results as soon as the test is run.

www.toohighpsi.com

2015 Corvette Z06 M7
2021 Porsche GT4 M6
2023 Corvette Z51
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
LT1ornothing

Nice! Anxious to hear how it goes. What size pulley do you guys intend to test with?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Mike I was just going to respond to their questions, beat me too it. I did run the non intercooled setup for a while but didn't have a chance to try it with the meth kit. With or without the meth really works. I love my set up, but if Mike can get a setup for the non intercooled and meth that could just be an awesome package that could save the customer some bucks but could get the customer into a wicked package, good for Magnuson and great for the customer. He'll get it worked out and I'm sure of that.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Interesting idea looking forward to the results!

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #9
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:

Has anyone tried this?

Am interested in chemical cooling the non intercooled Maggie kit.
I haven't tried the Maggie kit yet but can tell you about previous experience with FA engines.

A Non-Intercooled FA engine can work for certain configurations, like Drag Racing, as you allow the car to cool down and do not get into overheating your A/F Intake Charge and losing A/F density.

A Non-Intercooled FA engine WILL have loss of performance issues when run for long durations like; Summer Street Driving, SCCA Track events and Road Racing.

No amount of W/M injection will beat an intercooler while running the car hard.

IMHO You're better off running BOTH for best performance.

Check out the Drag Duramax Truck from Banks Performance. You'll see these methods in action and paying off.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:02 AM   #10
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
I haven't tried the Maggie kit yet but can tell you about previous experience with FA engines.

A Non-Intercooled FA engine can work for certain configurations, like Drag Racing, as you allow the car to cool down and do not get into overheating your A/F Intake Charge and losing A/F density.

A Non-Intercooled FA engine WILL have loss of performance issues when run for long durations like; Summer Street Driving, SCCA Track events and Road Racing.

No amount of W/M injection will beat an intercooler while running the car hard.

IMHO You're better off running BOTH for best performance.

Check out the Drag Duramax Truck from Banks Performance. You'll see these methods in action and paying off.
That's kind of the advice my friend gave me he even used the drag racing anoalogy... non-intercool is great for short bursts at strip with cooldown windows. But for out driving those IATs will go high and even the supercharger wont add much HP after a point.

That is a great test ToohighPSI look forward to seeing that post.
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sMetalDude View Post
That's kind of the advice my friend gave me he even used the drag racing anoalogy... non-intercool is great for short bursts at strip with cooldown windows. But for out driving those IATs will go high and even the supercharger wont add much HP after a point.

That is a great test ToohighPSI look forward to seeing that post.
Please understand the blower only makes heat when making boost.

Driving around normal will stabilize the IAT at a point above ambient, Same as an N/A car.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 07-19-2017 at 07:59 PM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #12
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Thx Ted, good point and the intercooler could be later as I did.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:48 AM   #13
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
Nice! Anxious to hear how it goes. What size pulley do you guys intend to test with?
I'll run the smallest pulley possible and still maintain a reasonable timing level. I've already run this test with 91 octane and the intercoolers installed - it made 729 HP (267 HP over the stock 462HP). I won't be surprised if it can reach nearly the same power level...

www.toohighpsi.com

2015 Corvette Z06 M7
2021 Porsche GT4 M6
2023 Corvette Z51
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #14
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by toohighpsi View Post
I'll run the smallest pulley possible and still maintain a reasonable timing level. I've already run this test with 91 octane and the intercoolers installed - it made 729 HP (267 HP over the stock 462HP). I won't be surprised if it can reach nearly the same power level...
Mike, any updates on this dyno test for the meth injected non intercooled LT1 on the smallest pulley possible?

If so, what did it put down and on what size pulley? How aggressive or conservative was the timing tuned at?

Last edited by LT1ornothing; 09-28-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: clarity