The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications

Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
bkindall
NCM Raffle Winner

Drives: '14 Cpe 3LT Z51 Crystal Red
Racing Stripes?

I looked at several members build configurations on here and noticed the lack of orders for the racing stripes. I personally think the stripes only enhance the look of the Corvette, but I am finding I am in the minority. Why do people not prefer them?
bkindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
For quick reference, Chevy updated the Stingray Order Guide to show that the full dual length stripes will be available in multiple colors. (RPO listed in parentheses):
  • (DTP) Blade Silver
  • (DTH) Carbon Flash (Metallic Black)
  • (DTR) Crystal Red
  • (DTN) Cyber Gray
  • (DTQ) Inferno Orange
The Stinger Stripe also gained a new color. In addition to Carbon Flash (DTW), Cyber Gray (DTZ) has now been added.

So different strokes for different folks... some are cool, some are too tacky... here are a few random (some are non-GM?) examples on the interwebz.

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
jeskali

Drives: 2011 bmw m3
the racing stripes definitely look cool, but i think it also has a lot to do with what you plan on using the car for and how old you are. if its a dd and you are in your 40's (me), then i think the stripes look a bit childish. however, if its a weekend or track car or you are younger, then go for it.
jeskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
bkindall
NCM Raffle Winner

Drives: '14 Cpe 3LT Z51 Crystal Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskali View Post
the racing stripes definitely look cool, but i think it also has a lot to do with what you plan on using the car for and how old you are. if its a dd and you are in your 40's (me), then i think the stripes look a bit childish. however, if its a weekend or track car or you are younger, then go for it.
That does make sense. I'm early 30's and plan on using mine as a DD but did order the racing stripes. Some vehicles I see that have racing stripes I cringe because they look horrible, but others, like the Corvette, they look good regardless of their use. This is my first sports car and though it will already stand out in the crowd, I want it to REALLY stand out.
bkindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
occar

Drives: n/a
Are the stripes paint, or vinyl stickers? Most everything as gone to vinyl stripes that I have seen, and the just don't hold up nearly as well as paint. Small abrasions that wouldn't really damage clear coat will put a hole in the soft vinyl used for stripes. I've had two cars in a row that were striped, within a year, close inspection showed flaws in the stripes while the paint was still just fine.
occar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Stingray
just can't get enough

Another striped variant...
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
I think one of the reasons why not many people are ordering the stripes is because of how great the car looks already without them. I only bought my Camaro with stripes because I felt like the car needed a little something. I don't feel that way at all with the C7.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
jashobbsie
Davenport Stage 5+

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & C7 Corvette 3LT Z51
I agree , the stripes are a must.... I've ordered the Torch red with full on Carbon flash stripes with black rims... I can't stress enough how I must have the black rims...i hate any other color rim on a corvette..
Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
1BlinkGone

Drives: Any
That stinger hood is cool. The only car I've liked with stripes, however was a certain Porsche I saw that was gloss black, and had flat black stripes. YMMV.
1BlinkGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
andrews_texas

Drives: 2014 Stingray #4074
I'm getting confused as to the stripe variants. My order is Torch Red, with the DTW stripe. I thought that is the black stripe from the hood vent to windshield, as in stingrays initial post pic of the blue one. I first saw this on the blue limited edition story and thought it might be cool on the red...
andrews_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Stingray
just can't get enough

As of now, Chevy only has 2 types of stripe styling for the C7... either full length dual racing stripes, or the stinger stripe.
With either stripe style, you cannot order it as the same color as your car's body color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews_texas View Post
I'm getting confused as to the stripe variants. My order is Torch Red, with the DTW stripe. I thought that is the black stripe from the hood vent to windshield, as in stingrays initial post pic of the blue one. I first saw this on the blue limited edition story and thought it might be cool on the red...
Ordering DTW means your coupe will have the Stinger Stripe in Carbon Flash Metallic.
This is correct since you wanted the black stripe 'from the hood vent to the windshield' and it will look like these 2 pics:

If you wanted the full length dual racing stripes, the correct RPO for that would be DTH in Carbon Flash.
This type of stripe package looks like this Arctic White with the Crystal Red racing stripes:
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
Stingray
just can't get enough

And this one is subtle and cool.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
andrews_texas

Drives: 2014 Stingray #4074
Great. My wife hates racing stripes (wouldn't let me buy a '69 camaro with the stripes), I think the partial CF stripe on the Torch Red is a good comprimise. Also have the CF mirror/spoiler, red brakes, and black wheels, so it should have plenty of contrast. My only worry was that the CF mirror/spoiler might look 'aftermarket' and never got painted...
andrews_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
not available when i ordered
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote