The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 02-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Travis,

Thanks for posting that data.

Did you account for a 1ft roll-out (like at a dragstrip)? With that, I calculate a 1/4 mile time of 11.62s @ 125.9mph, with a 2.03s 60'.
That would make more sense
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #16
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Exactly the answer I expected. The "bog" was intended to protect the transmission and other components from people dumping the clutch and putting all that torque down instantly. No transmission will constantly take that abuse and not fail. GM knowing people are going to do this is saving them tons of warranty work.
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #17
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Cliff notes: The bog is there intentionally to protect the drivetrain.

Next Ask Al question!
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #18

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
"The advertised 0-60 and quarter mile times are determined by testing all available vehicles built with production intent hardware and calibrations throughout the development of the Camaro. As we get closer to production, and improvements are made, we will do our final measurements just prior to our press release. This is why you will never see early postings of our performance times, because we will push to the very end to get the fastest times possible. We also determine an average using multiple drivers and vehicles. The process starts by inspecting the vehicle for production intent calibrations, placard tire pressures, and recommended fuel type (Premium for ZL1).

So, the 1/4 mile times are an "average" ?....Some higher, some lower?....I wonder what the fastest and quickest times were that helped determine the "average"....Probably not that simple, but still....I would think the "best" e.t. and mph would be what they advertise....not an average...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #19
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Thanks for the detailed answer Al and team Camaro

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #20
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Travis,

Did you account for a 1ft roll-out (like at a dragstrip)? With that, I calculate a 1/4 mile time of 11.62s @ 125.9mph, with a 2.03s 60'.
No I didn't. Good catch. I really do want to be fair, and it would be more fair to include that. I honestly didn't think about it.

I'll retract the statements in my previous post, but I think the fact remains that it's nearly impossible to launch this car. A 2.0+ second 60' in a hero run isn't really great. I'd love to know the conditions. The conditions must have been ideal to put down that much power on the big end. That's what really made the run what it was. It wasn't the launch.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #21
Shorty45

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1, M6
Thank you very much Al/Team for a detailed response. It confirmed some of the techniques that we were using at the drag strips. Is there a pre-determined release date for the drag packs? Hopefully, it will give us some more options with respect to launching our cars.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #22
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Travis,

Just when I think I got it all down, I hear a term that I'm not familiar with. So what is a one foot roll out?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #23
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Just when I think I got it all down, I hear a term that I'm not familiar with. So what is a one foot roll out?
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...nd-trucks.html

A Few Words About Rollout
The term "rollout" might not be familiar, but it comes from the drag strip. The arrangement of the timing beams for drag racing can be confusing, primarily because the 7-inch separation between the "pre-stage" and "stage" beams is not the source of rollout. The pre-stage beam, which has no effect on timing, is only there to help drivers creep up to the starting position. Rollout comes from the 1-foot separation (11.5 inches, actually) between the point where the leading edge of a front tire "rolls in" to the final staging beam — triggering the countdown to the green light that starts the race — and the point where the trailing edge of that tire "rolls out" of that same beam, the triggering event that starts the clock. A driver skilled at "shallow staging" can therefore get almost a free foot of untimed acceleration before the clock officially starts, effectively achieving a rolling-start velocity of 3-5 mph and shaving the 0.3 second it typically takes to cover that distance off his elapsed time (ET) in the process.

We believe the use of rollout for quarter-mile timed runs is appropriate, as this test is designed to represent an optimum drag strip run that a car owner can replicate at a drag strip. In the spirit of consistency, we also follow NHRA practice when calculating quarter-mile trap speed at the end of the run. So we publish the average speed over the final 66 feet of the quarter-mile run, even though our VBOX can tell us the instantaneous speed at the end of the 1,320-foot course, which is usually faster.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #24
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...nd-trucks.html

A Few Words About Rollout
The term "rollout" might not be familiar, but it comes from the drag strip. The arrangement of the timing beams for drag racing can be confusing, primarily because the 7-inch separation between the "pre-stage" and "stage" beams is not the source of rollout. The pre-stage beam, which has no effect on timing, is only there to help drivers creep up to the starting position. Rollout comes from the 1-foot separation (11.5 inches, actually) between the point where the leading edge of a front tire "rolls in" to the final staging beam — triggering the countdown to the green light that starts the race — and the point where the trailing edge of that tire "rolls out" of that same beam, the triggering event that starts the clock. A driver skilled at "shallow staging" can therefore get almost a free foot of untimed acceleration before the clock officially starts, effectively achieving a rolling-start velocity of 3-5 mph and shaving the 0.3 second it typically takes to cover that distance off his elapsed time (ET) in the process.

We believe the use of rollout for quarter-mile timed runs is appropriate, as this test is designed to represent an optimum drag strip run that a car owner can replicate at a drag strip. In the spirit of consistency, we also follow NHRA practice when calculating quarter-mile trap speed at the end of the run. So we publish the average speed over the final 66 feet of the quarter-mile run, even though our VBOX can tell us the instantaneous speed at the end of the 1,320-foot course, which is usually faster.
Oh brilliant. Thank you!

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #25
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost or bust View Post
Sorry, but not buying the answer. I want the ability to launch with NO nannies/electronics, etc. “Old school” style. I (we) know how to drive a stick, but the electronics are pulling power. I would happily pay any tuner listening who can defeat the torque control so I can then enjoy my car. Yes- I am willing to forgo my warranty to do it, too. My 2 cents. I paid for a quick car, but did not get one. Make it right, Al.
You can make it right by getting a tune. Having itnthay way with a warranty ain’t gonna happen
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:43 PM   #26
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I say give us the m22 rock crusher option of the late 60's and let us play ball. those that want to opt for a built driveline that won't have the bog tuned in from the factory should be able to opt to pay for it. Its kinda like the hill start function in the 5th gen an absolute waste and for those of us that know how to drive a manual it didnt help it actually hindered. I don't know if the 6th gen has it as I haven't picked my car up yet.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #27
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Let me translate AL speak for you guys.

You are stuck with the BOG, Rumor that the 18's getting different software was just BS, We only entertained Travis by putting a box in his car, We knew exactly what his car was doing before we even installed the recorder.

There is a weak link somewhere in the tranny-driveshaft-rearend. ( I'm not allowed to tell you what it is or I will lose my job).
Remember when we released actual 1/4 runs with the 5th gen ZL1? Yeah well, We have videos of the 6th gen ZL1 1/4 runs but we are ashamed to release them.

You will NEVER get a sub 2.0 0-60 so don't bother trying. The imaginary BOG is there on purpose. NEXT QUESTION!!

Last edited by bobby35ny; 02-09-2018 at 11:44 PM.
bobby35ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #28
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
I say give us the m22 rock crusher option of the late 60's and let us play ball. those that want to opt for a built driveline that won't have the bog tuned in from the factory should be able to opt to pay for it. Its kinda like the hill start function in the 5th gen an absolute waste and for those of us that know how to drive a manual it didnt help it actually hindered. I don't know if the 6th gen has it as I haven't picked my car up yet.
FYI- It does...