Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #71
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
I would think on these performance car forums people are more astute and educated when it comes to purchasing a car and not stupid enough to pay sticker.

Most of us on here you would never see buying at Carmax for example paying 4 grand more for the same used Camaro you could get at a regular dealer for example and with less miles.
exactly, most of us wouldn't pay MSRP on a car so idk why anyone would say OP should. those comparing to a limited production C8.. or other top of the line (also limited) cars.. I'm betting wouldn't pay sticker, in any market, for a 2SS Camaro.
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:57 PM   #72
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Ivy1LE View Post
exactly, most of us wouldn't pay MSRP on a car so idk why anyone would say OP should. those comparing to a limited production C8.. or other top of the line (also limited) cars.. I'm betting wouldn't pay sticker, in any market, for a 2SS Camaro.

I can see the C8 is you're rich, but why do people go to places like Carmax who charges thousands more for a basic car? That's what strikes me as odd and they usually have more miles on them too.

Like paying 4 grand more for an SS with 45,000 miles versus a dealer that's cheaper and maybe only 20,000 miles on the same model.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:19 PM   #73
Envious_Ivy1LE

my best guess is probably in house financing is easier to qualify for.

I personally would go look at a car from CarMax before going to look at the same vehicle at a dealer lol just because there's less hoops and less pressure tactics.. but I wouldn't buy it from CarMax unless it was a unicorn of a deal
Old 06-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #74
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
my best guess is probably in house financing is easier to qualify for.

I personally would go look at a car from CarMax before going to look at the same vehicle at a dealer lol just because there's less hoops and less pressure tactics.. but I wouldn't buy it from CarMax unless it was a unicorn of a deal

Yea, if you want to just kick the tires then go to the dealer and get the same used car for thousands cheaper.

TBH I've never really had a problem with dealers when buying cars. I'm pretty straight forward with pricing and what I'm looking for. Don't like it I walk. Same with the finance office. I'm no BS.

My 2012 Mustang I bought in St. Louis, no problem, My Camaro SS I bought last Sept from the Honda dealer was very smooth as well.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:54 PM   #75
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Yea, if you want to just kick the tires then go to the dealer and get the same used car for thousands cheaper.

TBH I've never really had a problem with dealers when buying cars. I'm pretty straight forward with pricing and what I'm looking for. Don't like it I walk. Same with the finance office. I'm no BS.

My 2012 Mustang I bought in St. Louis, no problem, My Camaro SS I bought last Sept from the Honda dealer was very smooth as well.
it's a toss up for me. bigger dealers usually don't care. if I'm just shopping I tell them and you can tell immediately what kind of dealer (or sometimes it's just the salesman) you're working with.

some other dealers do the "hold their keys" tactic so that's always fun. just once I had to get loud about them not giving me my keys back so I could leave
Old 06-30-2021, 09:59 PM   #76
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
it's a toss up for me. bigger dealers usually don't care. if I'm just shopping I tell them and you can tell immediately what kind of dealer (or sometimes it's just the salesman) you're working with.

some other dealers do the "hold their keys" tactic so that's always fun. just once I had to get loud about them not giving me my keys back so I could leave

Never had that problem.

It does seem the last 12 or so years now overall the reputable dealers will work with you if you give a reasonable offer when negotiating.

One big reason is the internet. Gone are the days of going to multiple lots or buying an auto trader magazine looking at ads. If a dealer is BSing they can easily lose a sale down the street.

With car listings just seconds away there is a ton of competition.

When I bought my 2012 5.0 I had a 2006 GT I was trading in. It had 1200 in body damage to it I never fixed. Driver side mirror was broke and a big scrape on the door and front bumper needed work due to hitting my garage. I bought the car for $18,500 on labor day 2008. Sales guy came back with an offer of $15,500. Dad said write down counter offer of $16,500. Salesman came back a minute later and said I got a deal. I got about $2,500 off with rebates and all. Was shocked I got $16,500 with collision damage and because at the time the 5.0 with an automatic was super hard to find in the region. if it didn't have damage I probably would got 17,500 for it, not much less than I paid!

My current SS was even smoother.

The Chevy dealer I griped about up the street that didn't do a tire rotation right I wont buy from. Ever since they got bought out by a bigger regional dealer they're shysters on their pricing and service and they have a reputation to be rip offs now so I stay clear of them.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:59 PM   #77
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
The dealers have a dollar amount they have to maintain from a cash flow stand point for the whole organization. They have to sell at list now because they don’t have enough inventory to sell discounted and maintain the minimum amount of income they need to function
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:48 AM   #78
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
The dealers have a dollar amount they have to maintain from a cash flow stand point for the whole organization. They have to sell at list now because they don’t have enough inventory to sell discounted and maintain the minimum amount of income they need to function
This is correct, that have certain fixed costs that they have to cover and they can do that by making smaller margins on lots of sales or larger margins on fewer sales. Lack of inventory is forcing them to the second option.
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:02 AM   #79
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
Ummm, no. The current market conditions and demand for the C8 are what they are but C8 buyers do not “expect” to pay over sticker. I’ve bought 9 Corvettes new, and never paid sticker. Most educated buyers are buying from large volume dealers like Kerbeck, Criswell, Maculkin, Hendricks, or Coughlin who are all selling at MSRP while small guys Jack them up. Head over to the Corvette Forum and anything over sticker is a hot button.
we have a winner... agreed.
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:38 AM   #80
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
In my opinion if you think a dealer has overpriced a vehicle a considerable amount and you don’t want to pay that then move on and expand your search.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:19 AM   #81
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I can see the C8 is you're rich, but why do people go to places like Carmax who charges thousands more for a basic car? That's what strikes me as odd and they usually have more miles on them too.

Like paying 4 grand more for an SS with 45,000 miles versus a dealer that's cheaper and maybe only 20,000 miles on the same model.
Don't underestimate the power of marketing. The average non-car enthusiast sees the carmax and carvana commercials and would consider using them. Also some people would rather pay more to just buy a car like they are buying something from walmart, no need to haggle, the price is just what it is.

I hate haggling too, but I hate paying too much even more. I begrudgingly go to a dealer, talk them down 'good enough' then make the deal. I really don't want to haggle over the last few hundred dollars, i know some people love doing that though.
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #82
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
sorry to break it to you but people on these forums make up a small percentage of any of the sales figures. I'm happy you got your Corvettes at a discount and the people on the forums are shopping volume dealers and making efforts to get the car at MSRP or lower but the majority of people aren't on forums. If it was so unlikely for someone to buy a car marked over MSRP you wouldn't see them marked up every where you look.
You have a point there. Agree, the forum Corvette Forum members (and Camaro Forum included) represent enthusiasts with a higher than average vehicle knowledge and better researched buyer.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #83
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by brap999 View Post
Don't underestimate the power of marketing. The average non-car enthusiast sees the carmax and carvana commercials and would consider using them. Also some people would rather pay more to just buy a car like they are buying something from walmart, no need to haggle, the price is just what it is.

I hate haggling too, but I hate paying too much even more. I begrudgingly go to a dealer, talk them down 'good enough' then make the deal. I really don't want to haggle over the last few hundred dollars, i know some people love doing that though.

Another thing I've done before if it's just a few hundreds is get tinted windows and wheel locks thrown in. Makes up the difference. That's about $300 right there.

When I bought my GT after he made the counter offer that I approved of I threw those two in as well. I knew I could get a bit more off but they were straight forward with me.

The SS I didn't do that. The dealers don't do it as dark as I like. If you're buying new though I would always push for some add ons thrown in.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #84
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Yes the sticker price. I have ordered 2 cars over the years and I had to pay sticker and that it was a special order vehicle what I was told by the dealer. Other folks have had better luck than me and got a deal though on a vehicle they special ordered.
I have ordered almost every GM car I have owned and never paid sticker. There is no "special order" rule; everything is negotiable.

However, I would be grateful for the opportunity to buy the exact Camaro I wanted at MSRP under current circumstances.

Instead I will be waiting yet another year.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote