Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-06-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
steve_hifi

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
freeway ride quality

Hey Guys,

I've tried a couple tire pressures 30-32psi and the car seems to be painfully
stiff at highway speeds (extreme pogo stick), it's a shame that the shocks aren't adjustable.

Any other solution to alleviate the punishing ride? go down air pressure even lower? or maybe get a set of wheels+street tires for road use instead of the SC3R tires?

I know that the SC3R probably have pretty stiff sidewalls, like all 100TW/200TW tires.

Thanks,
Steve
steve_hifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:58 AM   #2
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hifi View Post
Hey Guys,

I've tried a couple tire pressures 30-32psi and the car seems to be painfully

stiff at highway speeds (extreme pogo stick), it's a shame that the shocks aren't adjustable.

Any other solution to alleviate the punishing ride? go down air pressure even lower? or maybe get a set of wheels+street tires for road use instead of the SC3R tires?

I know that the SC3R probably have pretty stiff sidewalls, like all 100TW/200TW tires.

Thanks,

Steve
Yeah I hear switching to street tires will help tremendously. I never had the ZLE on the stock tires so i wouldn't know. But even with the current street tires, the ride is still very firm on certain CA freeways when you get up to speeds. Keep in mind that everyone's opinion will be different on how stiff the suspension is.

I am ok with the car most of the time. Given. It is not my daily but sometimes I wonder if it's really worth. I mean some freeway where in LA will make the car push you up from your seat, then other parts will make the car feel like you are riding a horse. Then other areas will be flat and amazing no issues.

The one thing I experience today that i kind of didn't like was riding up on the mountains of Malibu, the car fell very unstable on the twisties. I think the road was really uneven and make the car bumpier than normal. It feel like sometimes one wheel was not touching the road. The car still handled the curves great but it was hard and kind of scary to put down the power.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2021, 02:28 AM   #3
steve_hifi

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
Yeah I hear switching to street tires will help tremendously. I never had the ZLE on the stock tires so i wouldn't know. But even with the current street tires, the ride is still very firm on certain CA freeways when you get up to speeds. Keep in mind that everyone's opinion will be different on how stiff the suspension is.

I am ok with the car most of the time. Given. It is not my daily but sometimes I wonder if it's really worth. I mean some freeway where in LA will make the car push you up from your seat, then other parts will make the car feel like you are riding a horse. Then other areas will be flat and amazing no issues.

The one thing I experience today that i kind of didn't like was riding up on the mountains of Malibu, the car fell very unstable on the twisties. I think the road was really uneven and make the car bumpier than normal. It feel like sometimes one wheel was not touching the road. The car still handled the curves great but it was hard and kind of scary to put down the power.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I agree with you 100%, this car is awesome on a smooth road and inspires confidence greatly. Once you get it on anything bumpy or undulating that's where it falls apart. It doesn't help that it's a very big car and has limited visibility so not very tossable in the tight stuff. Big road course - no problem.

I think the combination of the stiff 100TW SC3Rs and insanely overdamped DSSVs contribute to the strong girations. I think Chevy would of had alot happier customers with a more advanced Magnetic ride setup or make the DSSVs adjustable (even one-way).
steve_hifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:49 AM   #4
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Yes, the car is stiff. Yes, switching to a softer street tire will help alleviate some of the perceived stiffness. Not to a great degree though. It is what it is with this car and I personally wouldn’t want it any other way.. But, this is not a typical street friendly type of set up to begin with. I suspect when Chevrolet built this car, then figured buyers would know this when they clicked the ‘1LE’ package in their buyers order. Want a great, road friendly car.. buy the regular ZL1.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:20 AM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
You could try the Michelin PS4S on another set of wheels as a street setup, it has a much softer sidewall (not to mention how much less of a rock catapult it will be, being a 320 treadwear tire). I have not driven a ZL1 1LE, so I can only take a guess at the difference, but they did help a lot vs the OEM runflats on my SS.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:57 AM   #6
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I just put PS4S tires on mine. The first thing I noticed was most of the tramling was gone. The ride does seem softer but any rough patch and you can still get jarred. Haven't pushed them in the turns or the rain yet but, really wanted something better when caught in rain. There are trade offs to any tire.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:01 AM   #7
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak-Toy View Post
Yes, the car is stiff. Yes, switching to a softer street tire will help alleviate some of the perceived stiffness. Not to a great degree though. It is what it is with this car and I personally wouldn’t want it any other way.. But, this is not a typical street friendly type of set up to begin with. I suspect when Chevrolet built this car, then figured buyers would know this when they clicked the ‘1LE’ package in their buyers order. Want a great, road friendly car.. buy the regular ZL1.
Chevy has always marketed the ZLE as the TRACK focused, street legal version of the ZL1. You don’t get a 7:16 around the Nuremberg Ring on spongy springs and soft side walls.

Unfortunately, a lot of people with no intent on tracking the car, failed to listen and bought the car because it was the “Big Daddy” of the Camaro line. They got caught up in the looks of high-wing spoiler and dive planes and are now finding out the car ain’t a great ride on our crappy streets.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #8
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Springs are 50% stiffer… thats alot….

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Steve, try a different set of tires on your ZLE and see if that helps. Michelin or Continental make a tire in your OEM wheel size that are a vast improvement over the GYs. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Chevy has always marketed the ZLE as the TRACK focused, street legal version of the ZL1. You don’t get a 7:16 around the Nuremberg Ring on spongy springs and soft side walls.

Unfortunately, a lot of people with no intent on tracking the car, failed to listen and bought the car because it was the “Big Daddy” of the Camaro line. They got caught up in the looks of high-wing spoiler and dive planes and are now finding out the car ain’t a great ride on our crappy streets.
Pretty much all of this.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

I run 26 lbs in mine and it makes a difference.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #12
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak-Toy View Post
Damn skippy my brother.
Well said.
Now I will say i run a set of street tires for my car and kept the stock rims and rubber for track day. I run my Michelin PS4S at 26lbs all around air pressure.
To be honest.....it’s likely better. I seriously miss my 3Rs on the car. They have serious grip when warm. Screw the ride quality. I didn’t buy this car for ride quality. I bought it cause it means business.
If the 3Rs didn’t wear so fast I would have left them on the car. I love the way this car drives. I love the ride quality. It’s far better than I imagined as some will think I’m crazy but it’s awesome to me.
If I want a comfortable ride I’ll drive my Escalade or Equinox.
Don’t buy a track focused car and expect a plush velour interior ride quality. It’s not the intention. Crap, my friends GT3RS has carbon fibre seats that don’t even recline.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #13
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Don’t buy a track focused car and expect a plush velour interior ride quality.
if you fill up the tires - it is harsh.
on good roads, it is fine. I could drive it all day long.
Except the OP is from california.
The freeways in CA are crap.

Ive seen potholes, broken out secitons of concrete, ledges at bridges over an inch tall. Then there are the broken concrete seams. about every 2 foot the concrete has a crack in it from earthquakes and heavy vehicles.
In the 1LE you feel all of it, and with each clunk of the suspension youre cringing at the thought how much damage you are inflicting on the DSSV's.

I got alot of backlash when I first bought my car for ride quality.
It was one of the first cars available after they came out, and there was not any ZL1 1LE's available to test drive. I ended up buying a car online from Illinois and having it trucked here to Los Angeles. the first time I seen it in person was a month after I bought it.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #14
Staves

Drives: women crazy
I would never buy a ZLE unless I tracked it. Often. I like a comfyish ride. SS is firm but decent. Anything firmer would suck on the streets for me.
Freeways are smooth in San Diego, CA.