Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Adam's Machine Polishing results from a first timer.

I've been slowly working my way up to the challenge of using the Porter Cable on my car... After buying the Camaro I've been converted to Adam's products and have been purchasing them through Grabiak Performance Center (GPC) out here on the east coast.

I'm that guy who always used Over The Counter Products on my cars and never really expected better performance from something like Adam's...

Well, The more I use this stuff the more I like it. There is a bit of a learning curve, but I stated out with just a couple items then began adding to my detailing tool box as I got more and more comfortable... or maybe .. addicted is a better word...

After some recent body work to my camaro, (repainted the front fascia) I had to put a little more work into the paint than hand polishing would take care of.

So I borrowed a friend's Porter cable 7424XP with the Adams pads and polishes and here's how it went.

Last weekend I tried the Swirl & Haze Remover (SHR) with the correct color matched pad and had less than ideal results... I had a lot of smudging and I wasn't working the polish correctly so I took some pics and asked the guys over at Adams Forums for some insight. Their advice was to strip the car with a Dawn wash and use some 70% Isopropyl Alcohol to get the paint as clean as possible. They also told me to work the SHR longer with less polish at speed 5 on the PC... I had been on speed 4 as I was afraid to do any damage to the paint...

So I took their (Dylan@Adams) advice and then some... rewashed the car with Dawn, used the 70% Alcohol in a spray bottle and wiped the car completely and also clayed it to get the contaminants out of the paint... That really exposed how bad the paint was.

The guys at Adams reassured me that what you see in that video was easily correctable and I should get back to work.

So from there I started again.

First was Swirl & Haze Remover.

I think the biggest key was I had the PC too slow when I tried it the first time. This time I started at 5 made sure I had good coverage then made a couple passes at 6. And I used much less product than I did before. Made a huge difference. SOOOOO much easier to wipe off... It was almost like dusting a counter top...

Second was Fine Machine Polish (FMP)

This one kinda had me stumped at first. It was a little harder to tell when it flashed and it seemed like I wasn't using enough product... I kept wanting to add some more Fine Machine Polish than Swirl & Haze Remover for the same size area...

Also it was a little harder to wipe off. But that may have been due to using the same MF towel for both Swirl & Haze Remover and Fine Machine Polish. I probably should have tried a clean towel.

And it didn't seem to make much difference at speed 6 vs 5... So I just left it at 5 and took my time

I took my time... did the whole car with Swirl & Haze Remover then did the whole car with Fine Machine Polish...

These pics are after the polishing... sun broke out for a bit so I snapped a couple shots.

I ended the day with some Brilliant Glaze... man that stuff makes the paint look so deep... Now that the car is out in the sun I can see a few spots where I need to wipe it down better. Maybe tonight I'll put some of their Buttery Wax on the car and that should hold me for some time.

The biggest thing I learned is how safe the PC really is... Just be careful on corners and edges, make sure the pad isn't getting hot and don't use too much product... It's pretty easy to be successful.

Thanks to Adam's and GPC.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
You rock dude! thanks for the writeup and glad we could get you pointed in the right direction.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
You rock dude! thanks for the writeup and glad we could get you pointed in the right direction.
Least I could do. You guys took the time to educate me to get the results I wanted. I hadn't even bought the Machine Products yet and you still took care of me.

Pretty cool.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
Great feedback! Glad everything worked out for you!
GPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC1 View Post
Great feedback! Glad everything worked out for you!
Well I guess you guys will be getting yet ANOTHER order from me soon... Hopefully around Christmas time
Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
GTAHVIT
Blessed

To give you guys an idea of how good the finish on my paint is now... I took a pic at lunch...

It really is like a mirror... Look at the building reflection on the side and hood of my car.

Attached Images

Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Old 10-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

thanks for the loan on the PC and the polish
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
It was the least I could do after what happened at the fest.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Old 10-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Parking lot shenanigans?
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Parking lot shenanigans?
OH gees... I wish...

he beat* me in a drag race...

Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
All kiddin' aside, that looks really nice!

The '91 is getting this treatment as well. 20 years of neglect ain't easy.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Well I guess you guys will be getting yet ANOTHER order from me soon... Hopefully around Christmas time
Sounds good buddy! I'll look forward to it.

Your car really looks great in those pics
GPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote