Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-06-2021, 08:34 PM   #15
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
I would never buy a ZLE unless I tracked it. Often. I like a comfyish ride. SS is firm but decent. Anything firmer would suck on the streets for me.
Freeways are smooth in San Diego, CA.

I do track mine, and I tracked my 5th gen ZL1 as well, but only about 2-3 times a year.
Im up in los angeles area. SD is nice. I was lookig to move there, but there is not alot of manufacturing and the houses are really expensive.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:46 PM   #16
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
I do track mine, and I tracked my 5th gen ZL1 as well, but only about 2-3 times a year.

Im up in los angeles area. SD is nice. I was lookig to move there, but there is not alot of manufacturing and the houses are really expensive.
So you never considered trading to the ZL1? This is so true for CA. Like i went up all the way to SF on the ZLE mainly on the coast going north and many stops in Santa Maria, Carmel, then SF. On the way down it was down on 5. Oh man.. the majority of 5 in the middle of nowhere no issue. Once you got to the valley, all hell broke loose. I was probably push up from the seat about 10 time while driving at 80 mph.

And no i am not bashing the ZLE. I knew it was harsh and firm. And it is not made for the streets. Just sharing my experience.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #17
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Swapping tires is NOT going to help. It kills me every time I hear someone suggest that one.

Condition of roads in your area are the key. If you're trying to daily or even semi-daily drive on crappy roads give it up. Tires are not going to fix your problem. A regular ZL1 will.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #18
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Swapping tires is NOT going to help. It kills me every time I hear someone suggest that one.

Condition of roads in your area are the key. If you're trying to daily or even semi-daily drive on crappy roads give it up. Tires are not going to fix your problem. A regular ZL1 will.
It's a tradeoff, tires obviously can't "fix" suspension firmness completely.

However, I wonder how realistic it would be for OP to "just trade for a regular ZL1" vs buying a second set of wheels and tires and lessening the problem, which IMO makes sense regardless of any ride quality issues.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:53 PM   #19
Wuiquen

Quote:

Some tires are stiffer than others. In my C6, the RF tires are a rock. Change that to non RF and the ride quality does improve.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:54 PM   #20
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
Insanely expensive. I only live here bc I’m single with no kids and a small condo works.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #21
steve_hifi

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Hey guys, I've had my share of 'stiff' performance cars. I get the purpose of this car as well, I still think Chevy could of have the DSSV shock with a 10 position (single adjustment) option to adjust for different road courses and to actually be able to drive a couple hours to the track without losing your kidneys along the way.

If you've ever been on a road course you understand you can have alot of different surface conditions. One size does not fit all when it comes to suspension in that regard.

Looks like having a second set of wheels with some PS4S is the way to go for street at this point.
steve_hifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #22
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Chevy has always marketed the ZLE as the TRACK focused, street legal version of the ZL1. You don’t get a 7:16 around the Nuremberg Ring on spongy springs and soft side walls.

Unfortunately, a lot of people with no intent on tracking the car, failed to listen and bought the car because it was the “Big Daddy” of the Camaro line. They got caught up in the looks of high-wing spoiler and dive planes and are now finding out the car ain’t a great ride on our crappy streets.
This is...close the thread.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #23
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
It's a tradeoff, tires obviously can't "fix" suspension firmness completely.

However, I wonder how realistic it would be for OP to "just trade for a regular ZL1" vs buying a second set of wheels and tires and lessening the problem, which IMO makes sense regardless of any ride quality issues.
totally makes sense as trading cars is not a good move. Just don't expect much help there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
Some tires are stiffer than others. In my C6, the RF tires are a rock. Change that to non RF and the ride quality does improve.
run flats are a whole different animal. I've got two sets of tires both GY and Michelin and swap back and forth regular. It just makes no difference.

More sidewall would be the only way to go IMO... like toss some 18" wheels on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hifi View Post
Hey guys, I've had my share of 'stiff' performance cars. I get the purpose of this car as well, I still think Chevy could of have the DSSV shock with a 10 position (single adjustment) option to adjust for different road courses and to actually be able to drive a couple hours to the track without losing your kidneys along the way.

If you've ever been on a road course you understand you can have alot of different surface conditions. One size does not fit all when it comes to suspension in that regard.

Looks like having a second set of wheels with some PS4S is the way to go for street at this point.
I have PS4s and they are a great option for the street. Probably the best IMO because they are also good for AutoX and cold tire stuff, but please don't expect much difference in stiffness or make the investment just for that. If you daily it... definitely go for PS4s and sell me your take-offs. Those GY tires are killer on the track after they heat up.

GM was super clear about their intentions with this car and it's not all about DSSV. There is zero rubber in any of your bushings too. Only rubber in the suspension is your tires. There were a lot of things done that are track focused only when you get the 1LE package.

This suspension is adjustable for those road track conditions you mentioned. Sway bars, Camber and yes DSSV up and down to a degree. Like no other Camaro ever produced.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #24
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Steve - There is not much you can do - this is a track focused car with one of the best track suspensions you can buy. I would get another vehicle as a daily driver if the roads are that bad and you want to keep the ZLE. My DD used to be a Honda Minivan, now the kids are out of school, its an older Jeep.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:37 PM   #25
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I agree with Mlee. I really don’t think the Michelin’s made a big difference and for myself I’m fine with that cause I like the way the car rides stiff. Our highways up here are pretty good but I do more backroading and to be honest I hit a stretch this weekend that was literally like a washboard. I didn’t know the road turned to dirt and therefore hit the washboard section. I was more concerned with the stones than the ride though.
In the end we all have different preferences but for Steve yeah I believe the ZL1 would have been the choice maybe you should have went with. I just don’t believe the tires will make the difference you are looking for. Just my opinion of course. I hope you like the car otherwise.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:58 PM   #26
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
totally makes sense as trading cars is not a good move. Just don't expect much help there.

run flats are a whole different animal. I've got two sets of tires both GY and Michelin and swap back and forth regular. It just makes no difference.

More sidewall would be the only way to go IMO... like toss some 18" wheels on.

I have PS4s and they are a great option for the street. Probably the best IMO because they are also good for AutoX and cold tire stuff, but please don't expect much difference in stiffness or make the investment just for that. If you daily it... definitely go for PS4s and sell me your take-offs. Those GY tires are killer on the track after they heat up.

GM was super clear about their intentions with this car and it's not all about DSSV. There is zero rubber in any of your bushings too. Only rubber in the suspension is your tires. There were a lot of things done that are track focused only when you get the 1LE package.

This suspension is adjustable for those road track conditions you mentioned. Sway bars, Camber and yes DSSV up and down to a degree. Like no other Camaro ever produced.
The lack of bushings do not really affect ride quality in terms of damping.

The lack of bushings for hard mounting points adds to the FEEL, it gives you more texture of the road surface you are on and will be more direct in its left/right transitions.

Ride quality in terms of vertical motions are all on the shocks/springs.

As a track focused car, GM is basically saying that all tracks are the same and this is what you get.

Some tracks want more compliance to keep the tires on the pavement and not skipping around, other smooth tracks you could basically go without any suspension and be fine.

GM really should have built that adjustability into the DSSV's. That is why serious track cars are on coil-overs, so they can tune to each track.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #27
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I also would probably opt for ZL1 for my personal use case, but alas, my SS 1LE is already basically a ZL1 without a supercharger, so...

I am fine with how the SS 1LE rides. I normally leave it in Sport mode, but if things get unbearable, one tap switches it to Touring and that can help out sometimes for sure.

PS4S helps, but the sidewall on our cars is already pretty thin so there is only so much a softer sidewall can do. It also defeats the purpose of ZLE IMO because PS4S isn't all that capable on a racetrack compared to even SC3(SS 1LE & ZL1), let alone SC3R(ZLE).

The roads around my area are also crap. I did an alignment back in March to set the car to the track alignment specs, and then a few days ago, I had to do another one as my steering wheel was crooked. Turns out my toes were out of whack. Really makes me wonder if they build the roads like crap here on purpose so the GDP looks better because they have to constantly fix the roads.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #28
Wuiquen

I suppose this is a non starter but I figured I would ask.. is there suspension coilovers kit that can be used to replace the DSSV? I see the SS and the ZL1 have some options. Would those not work on the ZLE?

Also, what is the downside of running that lower PSI? Un even wear?

Last edited by Wuiquen; 06-07-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Wuiquen is offline   Reply With Quote