Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-05-2021, 02:30 AM   #29
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Not sure I trust GM to build a reliable high revving Ferrari beater, it's not really their bread and butter.
They sure managed to hit it outta the park with this one. Much less the original SBC, BBC and of course the greatest blue collar engine ever produced (in my unbiased opinion, LOL!) the LS/LT. I only hope they're not too distracted by research and development of over-priced golf carts.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #30
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
The LT4 is a solid, proven platform for big power, just needs a reliable oil pump and new blower.
Your saying "new blower" because you want greater volume (>1.7L) and thus more HP, not because you think the Eaton is unreliable?
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #31
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
I have a HPE built 2012 ZL1 from a 2013 build. I was happy with the whole project experience. I trailered my car from LA to Sealy, TX for a scheduled build date and Hennessey completed the build in 7 days. They let me leave my car trailer on their property. I returned the following week, watched the car dyno and paid my bill which I thought was a good value considering the performance and warranty. They detailed the car, I loaded it up and promptly drove it 1,000 miles the next couple of weeks. I've had the ZL1 for 9 years now and have had no issues. (Camaro ZL1 VIN# 0004, HPE ZL1 serial #005.) I'm considering an Exorcist package on a 2022 ZLE however I understand that the engine management encryption GM uses on C8 Corvettes AND 2021 Camaros has not been broken to date. Maybe I should start a thread to discuss this subject as I'd like to know. Heard anything about GM's move for this level of encryption?
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #32
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Not sure I trust GM to build a reliable high revving Ferrari beater, it's not really their bread and butter. Look at all the engine problems Ford has with the GT350 (although not widely reported)

The LT4 is a solid, proven platform for big power, just needs a reliable oil pump and new blower.

I would only consider a Z06 after it has proven itself for a few years, and even then I'd probably rather have a GT3 (which is reliable)
GM has built some of the best engines in the world since the beginning of the ICE. I have 100% confidence that they can build a Ferrari beater. They've been doing it on the racetrack for decades. Its not that GM lacks any knowledge, its that their street car platforms have a budget which Ferrari doesn't have. GM has to build the best bang for the buck.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:29 AM   #33
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Boss View Post
I have a HPE built 2012 ZL1 from a 2013 build. I was happy with the whole project experience. I trailered my car from LA to Sealy, TX for a scheduled build date and Hennessey completed the build in 7 days. They let me leave my car trailer on their property. I returned the following week, watched the car dyno and paid my bill which I thought was a good value considering the performance and warranty. They detailed the car, I loaded it up and promptly drove it 1,000 miles the next couple of weeks. I've had the ZL1 for 9 years now and have had no issues. (Camaro ZL1 VIN# 0004, HPE ZL1 serial #005.) I'm considering an Exorcist package on a 2022 ZLE however I understand that the engine management encryption GM uses on C8 Corvettes AND 2021 Camaros has not been broken to date. Maybe I should start a thread to discuss this subject as I'd like to know. Heard anything about GM's move for this level of encryption?
PCM tuning has always been available for the Camaro, up until just recently TCM tuning was unavailable but HHP has recently just developed a workaround so that TCM tuning is available now too. Corvette C8 PCM tuning is still unavailable last time I heard.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #34
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Boss View Post
I have a HPE built 2012 ZL1 from a 2013 build.
What does this mean?
Old 06-05-2021, 11:07 AM   #35
zain

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
GM has built some of the best engines in the world since the beginning of the ICE. I have 100% confidence that they can build a Ferrari beater. They've been doing it on the racetrack for decades. Its not that GM lacks any knowledge, its that their street car platforms have a budget which Ferrari doesn't have. GM has to build the best bang for the buck.
They do lack knowledge, GM will give you huge amount of horsepower with alot of spinning too which is useless. If its for fun, burnouts, noise etc , yeah they are #1 and to be fare they are the cheapest. I see better engineering in GT3s & GTRs
zain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:11 AM   #36
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
What does this mean?
He has a 2012 MY Camaro and HPE did its upgrade thing in 2013.

I think.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #37
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zain View Post
They do lack knowledge, GM will give you huge amount of horsepower with alot of spinning too which is useless. If its for fun, burnouts, noise etc , yeah they are #1 and to be fare they are the cheapest. I see better engineering in GT3s & GTRs
Wrong, again you're talking about vehicles that are MUCH more expensive. There are trade-offs to building cars cheaper. GM wins on the racetrack where budgets aren't as limited which shows they have the knowledge.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #38
zain

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Wrong, again you're talking about vehicles that are MUCH more expensive. There are trade-offs to building cars cheaper. GM wins on the racetrack where budgets aren't as limited which shows they have the knowledge.
I did mentioned that they are the cheapest! but when it comes to driving experience, handling & efficiency its definitely not them, for me.. this is knowledge which adds to the value. Its the engineering knowledge that I mean not the marketing strategies

Last edited by zain; 06-05-2021 at 01:51 PM.
zain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #39
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zain View Post
I did mentioned that they are the cheapest! but when it comes to driving experience, handling & efficiency its definitely not them, for me.. this is knowledge which adds to the value. Its the engineering knowledge that I mean not the marketing strategies
They have, through largely outside test muleing (i.e NASCAR engine developers, & other factory & private sponsored motorsports) in terms of pushrod technologies go.

There is one reality in ICE’s that people, and manufacturers, often ignore as the biggest two variables in making power is RPM & dynamic compression. Those things being largely limited by thermodynamics. They find the limits, but I’m not convinced yet they know as to why they reach those limits. Maybe they do know the solutions & choose to not pursue surpassing them.

The rest of it is what is around that power plant, whether talking straight line performance or curves, that also greatly matters.

Engineering, as an absolute matrix, requires monetary expenditures. To this there is no exception.

Hence the reason you see “better” engineering in vehicles that slightly outperform the Gen6 chassis, but at nearly double or even triple the cost.

There’s always a point of diminishing returns as an inverse to expenditures.

That being off-topic either way, if HPE has fixed their reasons for the bad rep they’ve received over the years, then OP should do what he wants & anti-up on an Exorcist.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #40
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
They sure managed to hit it outta the park with this one. Much less the original SBC, BBC and of course the greatest blue collar engine ever produced (in my unbiased opinion, LOL!) the LS/LT. I only hope they're not too distracted by research and development of over-priced golf carts.
They really are an impressive motor.

ICE’s or Electric motors all boils down to BSFC in terms of efficiency. Beyond that overall efficiency, in a macroscopic analysis, in terms of energy management policies (production & distribution) need not, should nor not, be ignored or put aside for the sake of a false dichotomy of each power source.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #41
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
If keeping the camaro is an option if you choose the Z06 then I would do that.

Take it from me, it's nice to be able to have different flavors to choose from when you come out to go for a drive.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:20 PM   #42
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
He has a 2012 MY Camaro and HPE did its upgrade thing in 2013.

I think.
Correct. I put a few thousand miles on the ZL1 as delivered from Chevrolet then brought the car to Hennessy during 2013.
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote