The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
Shift v Automatic

When ordering my C7 Vert, I planned on ordering the 7 speed, but asked my dealer about the automatic - Dealer said almost all its buyers for performance cars, namely Vettes & Camaros, order automatics - I asked why, is the auto better than the sticks? - Dealer said its buyers are mostly younger and don't know how to shift - Don't know how to shift? - How sad to go through life and not have the satisfaction of gearing a performance car - But then Chevy shall nor let us go from 1st to 2nd where we have to from 1st to 4th - I remember the days when "4-speed," "4-on-the-floor," "Hurst," "H-shift," "Stick-shift" equated to high-performance - Is my dealer right? - Do younger drivers buy automatics cause they can't shift? - Sad if true - I ordered the 7-speed - Your take?
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
A lot of people these days don't know how to drive a manual.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
With the constant improvements in automatics reliability, the speeed which they change gears and things like tap-shift more people feel they get the best of both with an auto.
Not just young drivers, but an aging population of drivers with age related ailments and heavy traffic conditions are making automatics more attractive. With DCT (dual-clutch transmissions) becoming more popular and offered instead of true manuals on many exoctics, soon manuals will be like a hand crank starter! Enjoy 'em while you can...

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Sajonf

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51
No. Younger buyers typically prefer manuals. The typical Corvette buyer is an old guy who prefers automatics. That's why a majority of Corvettes are ordered with autos.

I am 39 and have always preferred manuals. I ordered my C7 with one. I would say I am on the younger end of the Corvette buyer spectrum. I don't know anyone my age who doesn't know how to drive a manual.
Sajonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
AlexY

Drives: NYC Subway...
I'm 23 and I've got a 5 speed. A lot of my friends think it's the coolest thing that I have a manual and I like teaching them how to drive it. I think it's got a lot to do with people getting out of their comfort zone, if someone's been driving an auto for 20+ years they figure why bother getting a manual? JMHO
AlexY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Ciscokid

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert - BRM&2014 NRB Vette
Taught the girlfriend how to drive a manual in my ZL1, few weeks later and now she's a pro. it just takes someone to show and help you understand how to drive a manual.
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Could be a congestion issue. Shifting from 1st to neutral 40 times on the way home during rush hour isn't so cool.
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
sotirisf

Drives: C6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm888 View Post
Could be a congestion issue. Shifting from 1st to neutral 40 times on the way home during rush hour isn't so cool.
Bingo!!!!!
I like stick. I like the control and I really like the art of shifting.
I'm 48. I've driven stick since I was 22. I taught myself to drive stick when I was in Germany- got off a plane, went to my rented car and my choice was stick or $$$$$ for automatic.
I preferred to use the money on my girl, so I took the stick and learned as we drove out of the parking lot heading to the autobahn. I'll admit it took 200 kilometers to get acquainted with it- but I learned and loved it ever since.
Now IRL, driving to work, driving in $hitty chicagoland Kennedy/Edens congestion, the last thing I want is a stick today or when I was 25.
Its a damn hassle for a lot of us.
I wont begrudge anyone who wants to drive stick in that kind of traffic.
Nor should anyone begrudge anyone who thinks its a hassle.
I prefer to rent stick whenever I can. I've owned stick until I was 30- but decided that I just didnt want to deal with heel and toe and shift in Chicago Xway gridlock 400 times to get to and from work or play every day.
sotirisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
bnall40

Drives: Z51 3LT, 2009 Pilot, 2012 Ody Tours
You kids make driving manual seem like a graduation requirement from High Performance Driving School when actually it is passage to get in, - at least Bondurant requires ... (I know from experience)
I taught my girlfriend how to throw gears in our NEW 1956 Bel Aire Coupe with Power Pack and 4bbl ... no big deal! Today, she prefers the C7 auto paddle shift, (as does Corvette Racing), because it is faster and she can get under 4 sec 0-60! And U think kidding? ... No way!
bnall40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
Brick Man

Drives: Silver Swede
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
A lot of people these days don't know how to drive a manual.
Reality: A lot of people these days don't know how to drive.
Brick Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
I can see ordering an automatic if an every-day driver especially in urban areas with stop-and-go traffic. But if it is not, what better experience is there in driving a sports car of this caliber of performance and excitement than the Rev Matching 7 Speed stick? I am 66 and soon-to-be-retired where my 3LT Torch Red & Adrenaline Red, black top Vert, Z51, Mag Select Ride, Perform Exhaust, w/black wheels, red calipers, black carbon fiber hood stinger, black carbon flash spoiler & mirrors, carbon-fiber & micro-fiber interior, etc. HAS TO HAVE the 7 Speed. Probably shall be my most driven car. After I get it likely some time next year, that very September when the kiddies are back in school and everyone is back to work from vacation, my hottie 5'7" 125lb. 67 YO rock-band lead-vocalist Ph.D. girlfriend and I, to whom I also am married, are getting in my C7 Vert headed across country and back for 5 weeks hitting all the northwest & southwest National Parks we can. This shall be hundreds if not thousands of shifts, but we shall be loving every one of them (Yes, she gets to drive and shift too, which she loves to do - Her current personal car is a shifter). So, unless you shall be stuck in traffic 24/7 with your C7, learn to shift, buy a 7 Speed, and don't look back.

Last edited by Richardlord; 09-18-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardlord View Post
I can see ordering an automatic if an every-day driver especially in urban areas with stop-and-go traffic. But if it is not, what better experience is there in driving a sports car of this caliber of performance and excitement than the Rev Matching 7 Speed stick? I am 66 and soon-to-be-retired where my 3LT Torch Red & Adrenaline Red, black top Vert, Z51, Mag Select Ride, Perform Exhaust, w/black wheels, red calipers, black carbon fiber hood stinger, black carbon flash spoiler & mirrors, carbon-fiber & micro-fiber interior, etc. HAS TO HAVE the 7 Speed. Probably shall be my most driven car. After I get it likely some time next year, that very September when the kiddies are back in school and everyone is back to work from vacation, my hottie 5'7" 125lb. 67 YO rock-band lead-vocalist Ph.D. girlfriend and I, to whom I also am married, are getting in my C7 Vert headed across country and back for 5 weeks hitting all the northwest & southwest National Parks we can. This shall be hundreds if not thousands of shifts, but we shall be loving every one of them (Yes, she gets to drive and shift too, which she loves to do - Her current personal car is a shifter). So, unless you shall be stuck in traffic 24/7 with your C7, learn to shift, buy a 7 Speed, and don't look back.
You know... or unless you like paddleshifters.

Or if you have an ugly 5'2" 170lb. 43 YO back-up guitarist GED girlfriend, to whom you are not married, who's current personal car is not a shifter.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
FrankBlue

Drives: They run, sometimes
The clutch is fairly light, and not a problem for a healthy person to drive in traffic. Shifting is smooth, throw short and as long as you don't ride it, you'll be fine.
FrankBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
Specracer

Drives: MINI CooperS
I don't have to drive in heavy traffic everyday and I just love manually shifting gears! I used to race cars on road courses and still like that experience! I will (once the the visible carbon-fiber roof supply is resolved) order mine with a 7 speed!
Specracer is offline   Reply With Quote