Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-06-2017, 12:32 AM   #15
jasonz28camaro

Drives: 2007.5 Duramax
What coverage limits are you at with your policy? 30/60/30? 50/80/50? 100/300/100? Im no wiz at insurance figures or anything but recently I was shopping around to leave State Farm too and a branch owner of another company looked over my current policy of 30/60/30 and said that was the reason my prices were so high. For some reason having lower coverage for so long is not a good thing. I have been with state farm for over 10 years, started out with my parents then got my own when and always had the same coverage.

What he told me was that it's looked at like a bad thing and nobody will tell you this because it makes them more money keeping you at a lower rate. He told me to increase my coverage with state farm and get back to him, I chose the 100/300/100 and it cost an extra $5 a month. After a week I went back to him and in whatever insurance database they pull your info from it showed I had the higher coverage and he quoted me again and it dropped like $80 a month and he was able to get me the higher 100/300/100 coverage. His original quote was with the same coverage as my current plan 30/60/30 and came out to just about the same amount. I also think I remember him telling me he could not put me directly into the higher coverage plan until I raised mine with state farm but not sure.

Not sure if this can help you or not? You probably already know this stuff and more than I do but maybe it can help someone reading this if you can make out what the hell I'm talking about.
jasonz28camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:29 AM   #16
JeffMorse

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonz28camaro View Post
What coverage limits are you at with your policy? 30/60/30? 50/80/50? 100/300/100? Im no wiz at insurance figures or anything but recently I was shopping around to leave State Farm too and a branch owner of another company looked over my current policy of 30/60/30 and said that was the reason my prices were so high. For some reason having lower coverage for so long is not a good thing. I have been with state farm for over 10 years, started out with my parents then got my own when and always had the same coverage.

What he told me was that it's looked at like a bad thing and nobody will tell you this because it makes them more money keeping you at a lower rate. He told me to increase my coverage with state farm and get back to him, I chose the 100/300/100 and it cost an extra $5 a month. After a week I went back to him and in whatever insurance database they pull your info from it showed I had the higher coverage and he quoted me again and it dropped like $80 a month and he was able to get me the higher 100/300/100 coverage. His original quote was with the same coverage as my current plan 30/60/30 and came out to just about the same amount. I also think I remember him telling me he could not put me directly into the higher coverage plan until I raised mine with state farm but not sure.

Not sure if this can help you or not? You probably already know this stuff and more than I do but maybe it can help someone reading this if you can make out what the hell I'm talking about.
This is 100% new to me and fascinating. Thanks for that.
JeffMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #17
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Thanks for everyone's input. I have shopped around and most competitors have been cheaper than what I have so far. I will keep looking until my car shows up in a couple weeks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonz28camaro View Post

LOL...thanks as well for the input. Yes, you are right about the coverages. However at this point in time, I am stuck due to my wife's Volt lease. Per what I have been told by three different companies (including my own, State Farm), my coverages are higher with the leased vehicle on my policy due to the required higher liabilities on a leased vehicle. So my additional vehicles carry the same coverage as the leased vehicle due to them being on the same poilcy. After I separate the ZL1 or any of my other vehicles from the Volt, I can select a lower coverage and get a lower overall rate. That being said, even with the decrease in coverage, it was still cheaper to move to another insurance company than for me to stay with State Farm. I have had State Farm for nearly 20 years of my life, mostly because they have been really good with my motorcycle insurance prices over the years, but like it was stated in this thread by another, you really have to switch once and a while to get the best rate it seems. Insurance companies state a "loyalty" program, but there really is no such thing unfortunately. It is cheaper to be disloyal in this case.

My additional issue is that I also have my home insurance with State Farm which I am getting a great rate on and don't want to move that to another company, so I will be missing out on any home/auto/multi-auto discounts that apply. But even calculating all of those discounts, it is still cheaper to insure the ZL1 separately...so wierd....
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #18
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I'll give one piece of advise when it comes to insurance. They all try to hose you over time. They know that most people tend to stick with them and they will raise rates over time in small amounts because they know the longer you stay the less likely you are to leave.

Shop around regularly. Even if you are happy with what you have. You don't have to go to a know name, fly by night company, but you'll often find you can get a better deal at another company. Especially if you lump in multiple cars, bikes, house, whatever. I make a point to shop around at least once a year. I've ended up saving people as much as $120 a month and for better coverage with a smaller deductible.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #19
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
...State Farm just quoted me $190/month!! That was with a 5000 miles or less & kept in a controlled garage.

47 & perfect record...crazy. I'm sure the area I live with all the uninsured motorists drive everything up!!

See how the other quotes roll in.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote