Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #99
Scottiemac

Drives: Black 2015 1ss/rs
Then the 4cyl guys will be saying " I've got more hp than a 1983 blankety blank". Let the 4vs 6 rivalry begin.
Scottiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #100
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
Never go full retard

This old man takes two swigs of Geritol, chase it with a Red Bull, and lights up the tires on my V-8 powered SS.
i
Old 07-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #101
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I did have a couple of people ask me if my car had a V8? My response has always been,'NO, but I really enjoy the car.'
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #102
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Not sure why people care so much about what others think. I could give two craps about what V8 owners say or think. If people want to make fun of me or tell me I'm less of a man because I have a V6. That's fine, because I will be right there next to them laughing. It feels great knowing I could give two rats ass about what others think. At the end of the day I got the car that wanted and that makes me happy.
Cenafan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #103
hdkeno

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiemac View Post
Then the 4cyl guys will be saying " I've got more hp than a 1983 blankety blank". Let the 4vs 6 rivalry begin.
hdkeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #104
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenafan85 View Post
Not sure why people care so much about what others think. I could give two craps about what V8 owners say or think. If people want to make fun of me or tell me I'm less of a man because I have a V6. That's fine, because I will be right there next to them laughing. It feels great knowing I could give two rats ass about what others think. At the end of the day I got the car that wanted and that makes me happy.
It's a way for us SS owners to suppress our insecurities and assure ourselves that we made the right choice, even though we didn't get a ZL1 or Z28.
Jus sayin...
Old 07-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #105
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt-15 View Post
I keep getting asked this way to much my 2015 2LT has plenty of power for me, I'm just happy to get my dream car a Camaro
I get asked why not a SS? isn't it faster?
Why does it matter if I bought a V6 and not a V8 ?
A new '15 SS is 43,000 my 2LT was 31,000 and my daily driver.
I don't see them with a Camaro ,why do they care so much? They do tell me they like it, that's good
Mostly, I think it's the only question they know enough to even ask. Really, just a conversation starter showing a little interest.

As long as you're happy every time you step into your '15 and enjoy the drive to wherever you're going, other peoples' preferences are just that - what other people might do differently.

To one of the better replies I've seen in this kind of thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
Not a V6 hater myself, but a couple questions come to mind.

1 Would you buy a V6 or a V8 if the prices were the same?
2 Would you buy a V6 or a V8 if the prices and the performance number were identical?
3 Would you buy a V6 or a V8 if the V6 cost more than the V8 ?
4 Would you buy a V6 or a V8 if the V6 made more hp and torque than the V8?
I'd answer them collectively, omitting your #5.

For a "dream car", price differences within some reasonable range should be irrelevant. You're buying what it takes to make you happy.

For identical (or even just close) acceleration performance numbers, I'd pick the one with better handling potential almost every time. "Almost" because of overlap with the next thought.

For the V6 to achieve roughly equal or higher power & torque than the V8 would require the V6 to have forced induction. With that as the choice, I'll take the NA V8.

Norm
Old 07-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #106
BadgerRN

Drives: 2013 V6 Camaro RS
Honestly though, we are all a part of this amazing community and club. It's ridiculous that a portion of the community would rather put others down based on what is underneath the hood. All of us could have bought a different car but we were drawn to the Camaro for a reason..

Of course the V8 is a "better" engine, there is no doubt about that. However, don't push away those of us who couldn't afford the V8 or do not drive Camaros "exactly like yours"

There is always going to be something bigger, faster, and meaner. The C7 guys would probably be saying the same to you SS drivers.. should have gotten a C7
BadgerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #107
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRN View Post
Honestly though, we are all a part of this amazing community and club. It's ridiculous that a portion of the community would rather put others down based on what is underneath the hood. All of us could have bought a different car but we were drawn to the Camaro for a reason..

Of course the V8 is a "better" engine, there is no doubt about that. However, don't push away those of us who couldn't afford the V8 or do not drive Camaros "exactly like yours"

There is always going to be something bigger, faster, and meaner. The C7 guys would probably be saying the same to you SS drivers.. should have gotten a C7
Not sure that you can do this in a C7. Still had plenty of room for groceries!
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #108
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Not sure that you can do this in a C7. Still had plenty of room for groceries!
you should have bought a V8 pickup

Save
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #109
Libertypilot

Drives: 2013 Silver Ice Metallic
I got the 6 because with it, there was plenty of breathing room for customization. I had a vision of how this car was going to perform and what it was going to look like before I even bought it. The 6's price point made it possible and after I test drove it, I learned it had plenty of power. Sold.

I did the same with my bike. Could of had a Harley, went with a Kawasaki Mean Streak. It's a 1500 with plenty PLENTY of power and also plenty of meat left on the bone for all the aftermarket and DIY stuff I love to do. That's just me though, to each their own of course.

And after reading this thread, there WILL be a can of V8 under my hood at the next car show.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #110
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertypilot View Post
I got the 6 because with it, there was plenty of breathing room for customization. I had a vision of how this car was going to perform and what it was going to look like before I even bought it. The 6's price point made it possible and after I test drove it, I learned it had plenty of power. Sold.

I did the same with my bike. Could of had a Harley, went with a Kawasaki Mean Streak. It's a 1500 with plenty PLENTY of power and also plenty of meat left on the bone for all the aftermarket and DIY stuff I love to do. That's just me though, to each their own of course.

And after reading this thread, there WILL be a can of V8 under my hood at the next car show.
Go for a 6 pack of V8's

Save
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #111
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
No one ever asks me. Of course they can hear the V8's long tubes roaring up from a mile away. So that might have something to do with it.

They are all great cars but most of the people that make those kinds of comments are still puttering around in 4cyl Camry's. I think this stigma is one that is fading over time. The base models of today far outshine some of the top teirs of yesteryear.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #112
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyg63 View Post
What is your V6 mpg?
ive gotten 32mpg highway