Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #309
iroc_but5.0sdont
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 camaro, iroc, 5.7, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post
Please provide your hard data on the majority of new car owners you have surveyed to make such a statement.

kk thx

The kids that I work around

My family

The people at the local car meets

The people at the track

My friends
iroc_but5.0sdont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #310
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Based on the sales numbers, you were in the minority. The sales #'s of the gen4 just flat out sucked. It was decently built, and a quick car, but ugly.
Looks are a personal opinion. I know plenty of people who liked the way they look.

But, I find it funny how you equate sales numbers to how people perceive a cars looks in a thread about how 6th gen sales have been pretty crappy.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #311
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
Only they know what their strategy is. Why would they be adding another shift if sales already were below where they were expecting?

What might explain it is if they are just now planning to finally start actually advertising and pushing to sell them.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I looked up the closest 10 dealerships to me and they only have 0-3 of each iteration of available 6th Gen Camaro's.

The bottom line is none of us know what their plan is or if they are disappointed in sales, all we have to go by is what they have said and the actions that they have taken up to this point and those things seem to indicate that they don't think it is an issue.

So why sweat it until they indicate otherwise?
The third shift was announced in January in anticipation of higher spring sales. Those sales haven't come and they should have. April sales were lower than expected, now May sales are even lower than were they should be for a brand new, next gen car.

Since 2010, May has been Camaro's #1 sales month. Being off of the average by such a margin is not just because of two less selling days and it is indicative of larger problems.

Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #312
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Camaro should be cheaper than the Mustang, even on the Alpha with the performance it offers.

It's a parts bin car. It's the 3rd iteration of the Alpha platform. The LTx is used in a big chunk of GM products.

We keep hearing how using existing platforms and power trains keeps the costs down but that never actually pans out.

Yes, the Camaro offers better performance but for how long? The Mustang won't sit still. The Coyote will get an update probably in the next year or so and be making as much, if not more power, than the Camaro.

If sales are slumping now, what is going to happen when the performance gap is much closer?
Exactly. GM is price gouging on a parts bin car. I mean, I'm a capitalist so I say good for them if it's panning out in the market. Apparently it is if you believe their press releases.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #313
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
The third shift was announced in January in anticipation of higher spring sales. Those sales haven't come and they should have. April sales were lower than expected, now May sales are even lower than were they should be for a brand new, next gen car.

Since 2010, May has been Camaro's #1 sales month. Being off of the average by such a margin is not just because of two less selling days and it is indicative of larger problems.

With a 20% drop on by far the leading competitor in the segment, there's definitely market conditions impacting here too. Not taking anything away from your point.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #314
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:

"it is indicative of larger problems." Or, they changed their business model and you are comparing apples to oranges.

And the third shift was "announced" in January but according to this article had not been implemented yet as of April -

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/04/...t-goes-online/

Also, note the part about:

"However, even with poor numbers from Cadillac, the Camaro has been a saving grace. Since the 2016 Camaro moved to Lansing last summer, the plant was able to rehire the 450 employees it laid off in January of 2015.
“We continue to see the positive effects of General Motors’ continued investment in Lansing,” said Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero. “We knew the Camaro coming to Lansing meant big things, and it does – jobs, jobs, jobs.”

If GM has not indicated that they are worried and they HAVE indicated that they changed their business model for Camaro's......
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #315
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Over the last few months when some of us questioned the slow sales, the excuses were, "wait until the T4 available," "wait until the convertible is available," wait until production is fully ramped up."

Now it's wait until the 2017s come out and that people are waiting for the 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 and build quality to improve?
Biggest issue I see is if sales are slower I'm guessing models like the ZL1 and Z28 (if it gets made) are going to be priced higher since the expected volume will be even lower.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #316
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Exactly. GM is price gouging on a parts bin car. I mean, I'm a capitalist so I say good for them if it's panning out in the market. Apparently it is if you believe their press releases.
Look beyond the platform (Alpha)..look at the cost of the components.

The LT1 is more expensive, to the tune of about $3,000 (IIRC) than the LS3, the transmission I'm sure is more expensive than the 6L80E (in the auto's case), the SS's dash has that big reconfigurable display, etc.

As I've said before...the mistake they made was making RS standard and making the base SS too content heavy. If the 1SS had the same dash as the 1LT (the analog gauges and the small DIC), no RS standard (IE normal headlights) and the smaller center dash screen and no HUD, it would have made the base entry point on the 1SS about 35,700...ish, maybe 36,000.

Bundle the HUD and reconfigurable dash in with an RS package if needed on the 1SS.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #317
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Biggest issue I see is if sales are slower I'm guessing models like the ZL1 and Z28 (if it gets made) are going to be priced higher since the expected volume will be even lower.
I'm reasonably confident that the 2017 ZL1 price is set and components ordered and being produced. If there will be a price hike due to anticipated lower volumes, it would be on 2018's more than likely.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #318
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
With a 20% drop on by far the leading competitor in the segment, there's definitely market conditions impacting here too. Not taking anything away from your point.
There were definite market conditions for many manufacturers and models. A drop in Mustang was expected given the huge sales last year for the new Mustang. Year two typically drops slightly.

Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #319
ThatRedFirebird

Drives: 2002 Pontiac T/Am, 2016 Camaro 2SS
I would bet the refreshed 5th torpedoed some sales. It looks (to the average person) a whole lot like the sixth gen in general appearance. Maybe 10% as dramatic a change as the Mustang.

It's no small wonder a lot of people don't even know it's an entirely new generation.

I honestly think a ~$1500 MSRP price cut across the board would make a large difference, but I doubt that would ever happen. All promotional stuff should also be done with the car (and it's LEDs) on to emphasize that, since I think that's the most obvious visual difference.

On second thought, what promotional stuff? Outside MotorTrend I haven't seen any.
ThatRedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #320
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
They need to advertise more. I have seen almost 0. Plus, it makes my car more unique!

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #321
iroc_but5.0sdont
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 camaro, iroc, 5.7, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Mustang is just as much a refresh as the Camaro, though the parts they did change made a bigger difference.

One thing I do have to say about the 6th gen Mustang launch was they made it a big event. It was revealed in multiple places and I think it was even on TV. The Camaro event was much more restricted and wasn't broadcast.

Combine the launch with a Mustang that finally has a modern suspension, a new look that carries over the Mustang style but tweaks it enough to look brand new and a cheaper price. It's no surprise the Mustang sells well.

The Mustang is the better volume car but it doesn't perform as well as the new Camaro.
here is the problem

1. The average person notices right away the Mustang is a new design.

2. When the Camaro was introduced people said this.

I'm glad they didn't stray away from the current design

They did not need to change the Camaro because it's selling so well.

Glad they did not mess it up like Ford did the Mustang.

I'm glad it still looks like a Camaro.

3. When The Mustang was introduced people said this.

The Mustang is so ugly

The Mustang looks like a fusion

Ford really dropped the ball on this one.

The Mustang looks like a Honda

Remember all those comments? I sure do and with all the comments I read and heard from people there was a lot more changed about the Mustang.
iroc_but5.0sdont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #322
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Looks are a personal opinion. I know plenty of people who liked the way they look.

But, I find it funny how you equate sales numbers to how people perceive a cars looks in a thread about how 6th gen sales have been pretty crappy.
A lot of people thing the gen6 is ugly, so maybe that is affecting the sales numbers. Its a good possibility.