Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #71
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralniv View Post
Where does a Z28 fit within GM's existing product line and competitively outside GM?

GM's Competing Products
Camaro SS = $31k
Corvette coupe = $50k
Cadillac CTS-V = $60k

Competing Products
Mustang GT-500 = $47k
Mustang GT = $29k

The CTS-V was developed as a world-class luxury sports sedan intended to compete with the M3 and C63 AMG (or arguably their big brothers). The Z28 clearly belongs below the CTS-V. Corvette sales are slumping and the GT-500 is a limited production (~5k units per year) model. Given these parameters I would price the base model in the mid 40s. Try to get the bigger market with a slightly lower price and avoid too much encroachment on the Vette.
IMO, It fits in between the Camaro SS and the Corvette, and competes against the GT500. The M5-fighting CTS-V isn't a good measure because its a Cadillac with stupid-amounts of luxury bits.

That said...I think there's still too many different routes they can take with this car for us to even pretend to know what they're gonna do...They could put the suspension on steroids and call it a day, they could throw an LS9 into it and destroy all the competition, or they could do anything in between.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #72
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
I'm guessing $55,000 for a top of the line Z28.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #73
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectionConnection View Post
The Z/28 will NOT be faster in the straights or the twistys vs the Vette
U can bank on that as the new base C7 will be lighter and better thanthe Z/28..

GM will never let this happen...
Think back to 1987 and the GN debockle...

Now pricing on the Z
I say 45 to just under 50 for all the bells and whistles..
I'll remember you said that.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #74
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
I'm thinking it will start in the $48-50,000 range for the base model and fully optioned model will be around $55-57,000 range.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #75
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The C7 is expected to come out after the Z28 is released. And its also expected to go up in price, in addition to being smaller, lighter, and with a better interior. Someone, might have been Fbodfather, has said they GM is not afraid of stepping on the Corvettes toes with the Camaro. If it doesn't outperform the current C6, that leaves a very narrow performance window since the GT500, particularly the new one with the aluminum engine, is also nipping at the heels of the C6.
It's competitive in the straights, on tracks it's more or less LOL.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #76
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralniv View Post
Where does a Z28 fit within GM's existing product line and competitively outside GM?

GM's Competing Products
Camaro SS = $31k
Corvette coupe = $50k
Cadillac CTS-V = $60k

Competing Products
Mustang GT-500 = $47k
Mustang GT = $29k

The CTS-V was developed as a world-class luxury sports sedan intended to compete with the M3 and C63 AMG (or arguably their big brothers). The Z28 clearly belongs below the CTS-V. Corvette sales are slumping and the GT-500 is a limited production (~5k units per year) model. Given these parameters I would price the base model in the mid 40s. Try to get the bigger market with a slightly lower price and avoid too much encroachment on the Vette.
I believe since the Z/28 should be coming out around the same time as the C7, we should be comparing its prices to it, ie not the C6. Rumors are the base C7 is going to be around $55k+.

The CTS-V is most likely going to share many performance oriented parts, however, the Z/28 won't be near as refined, classy, luxurious, etc. as the CTS-V. The Z/28 will be a no compromise performance vehicle, with probably no more luxuries as the current SS. So putting the Z/28 around $50,000 grand would leave over a $10,000+ gap, which is around the same as the fully loaded 2SS from the base C6.

The Challenger is a low volume car too, however, this doesn't mean its exempt from competition, and neither should the GT500 be exempt. Like it or not, the GT500 and Z28 will go head to head to find out who's the king of the pony car hill.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #77
tc2ss/rs

Drives: 1978 Z28--- 2010 2ss/rs on the way
I second the price! Please not over 45-50k

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectionConnection View Post
The Z/28 will NOT be faster in the straights or the twistys vs the Vette
U can bank on that as the new base C7 will be lighter and better thanthe Z/28..

GM will never let this happen...
Think back to 1987 and the GN debockle...

Now pricing on the Z
I say 45 to just under 50 for all the bells and whistles..
tc2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #78
chicagojoe16

Drives: 2010 Camaro
2SS Camaro is 34 grand. What all get's added to make it Z28? Suspension package, in dash nav, new gen V engine (wouldn't it be crazy if it weren't a pushrod?), short throw shifter, and probably some other modifications that most people won't notice unless they're shopping for one. It's going to be a low production model. So there's not much drive to make mad profit on it, it's out there to advertise the company and make you love GM again. I think they'll undercut the GT500 price by at least a grand and make it $45,000. Cause the real point of the car is to get more fancy bowties than fomocos on the road.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #79
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe16 View Post
2SS Camaro is 34 grand. What all get's added to make it Z28? Suspension package, in dash nav, new gen V engine (wouldn't it be crazy if it weren't a pushrod?), short throw shifter, and probably some other modifications that most people won't notice unless they're shopping for one. It's going to be a low production model. So there's not much drive to make mad profit on it, it's out there to advertise the company and make you love GM again. I think they'll undercut the GT500 price by at least a grand and make it $45,000. Cause the real point of the car is to get more fancy bowties than fomocos on the road.
We don't know what exactly will make for a Z28. But, again, a gen V engine WILL NOT BE THE DETERMINING FACTOR FOR THE Z28. Why? Because it will replace ALL gasoline V8's in the entire GM lineup. Could it be a gen V? Sure. In fact, if there is a Z28 for sale 5 years from now it WILL feature a gen V engine. So will the SS. So will the GMC Sierra, the Holden Commodore, and anything else with a V8 made by GM. There will still need to be something else besides the gen V vs gen IV architecture, such as forced induction or wide displacement gap (7.0L vs 5.3, for example).

We can pretty safely assume the Z28 will get an upgraded suspension, and forced induction is going to be a pretty save bet, and if it gets more power that means it will get a stronger transmission. Beyond that, some cosmetic modifications would make sense, as would better brakes, and stickier tires (possibly with wider wheels).

I will also contest the goal of having more bowties than fomoco's. If that were the case, wouldn't they have made the V6 Camaro $19,000 and the SS $26,000? Afterall, increasing the volume on those models will have a much much much greater impact that increasing the volume of Z28's. No, I think the goal is to offer the best value. If that means that it needs to be a little more expensive for a lot better car, so be it. It would be a pretty shallow victory if the only claim to fame for the Z28 is that it costs less than a GT500. Its the halo model, it should outperform the GT500 in every way.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #80
chicagojoe16

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
We don't know what exactly will make for a Z28. But, again, a gen V engine WILL NOT BE THE DETERMINING FACTOR FOR THE Z28. Why? Because it will replace ALL gasoline V8's in the entire GM lineup. Could it be a gen V? Sure. In fact, if there is a Z28 for sale 5 years from now it WILL feature a gen V engine. So will the SS. So will the GMC Sierra, the Holden Commodore, and anything else with a V8 made by GM. There will still need to be something else besides the gen V vs gen IV architecture, such as forced induction or wide displacement gap (7.0L vs 5.3, for example).

We can pretty safely assume the Z28 will get an upgraded suspension, and forced induction is going to be a pretty save bet, and if it gets more power that means it will get a stronger transmission. Beyond that, some cosmetic modifications would make sense, as would better brakes, and stickier tires (possibly with wider wheels).

I will also contest the goal of having more bowties than fomoco's. If that were the case, wouldn't they have made the V6 Camaro $19,000 and the SS $26,000? Afterall, increasing the volume on those models will have a much much much greater impact that increasing the volume of Z28's. No, I think the goal is to offer the best value. If that means that it needs to be a little more expensive for a lot better car, so be it. It would be a pretty shallow victory if the only claim to fame for the Z28 is that it costs less than a GT500. Its the halo model, it should outperform the GT500 in every way.
GT500 and Z28 are/will be waaaaaaay lower volume than GT/SS and LT/whateveritisthatFordcallstheirbasemodel. And you're right, it's the halo model so it should outperform in price as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #81
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
If that means that it needs to be a little more expensive for a lot better car, so be it. It would be a pretty shallow victory if the only claim to fame for the Z28 is that it costs less than a GT500. Its the halo model, it should outperform the GT500 in every way.
Another point to consider is this: The segment (stupid-hi-po sports coupes) that they are presumably entering with the Z28 is the kind of segment where people buy a car because they WANT it...They don't shop around, or compare notes...these people see a car...want the car...and go buy the car. Because they can.

Price IS important...but it becomes less of an issue the more expensive you go....
Old 03-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #82
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 1 RS/SS
I still think around 40-45K will be the starting price. That would put it alittle higher than the SS but still lower than the GT500 and Vette.

Had: 69' RS, 78' Z28, 98' SS Have: 2010 1RS/SS
St33lsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #83
76CamaroLT

Drives: 4wheels
Quote:
If that means that it needs to be a little more expensive for a lot better car, so be it. It would be a pretty shallow victory if the only claim to fame for the Z28 is that it costs less than a GT500. Its the halo model, it should outperform the GT500 in every way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Another point to consider is this: The segment (stupid-hi-po sports coupes) that they are presumably entering with the Z28 is the kind of segment where people buy a car because they WANT it...They don't shop around, or compare notes...these people see a car...want the car...and go buy the car. Because they can.

Price IS important...but it becomes less of an issue the more expensive you go....
I think this is true. GM is not going to scap the bigger brakes, or tuned suspension on the Z28 to get it out 2K cheaper. And people who are buying this segment will spend the extra 2K, and already know that is the car they want.
76CamaroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #84
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Yup.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote