Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
SliverSurfer

Drives: Summit White 2014 1LT
Oil loss!

So, I went to the dealer to get my oil changed and the tech mentioned that I was 3/4 quart low. I don't drive the car hard, haven't noticed any oil on the ground and havent notticed any oil in the engine compartment. I emptied my catch can about 1000/1500 miles ago and it did the seem to have excessive amounts of oil...maybe 2 Oz (2 shot glasses) after ~ 1000 miles. I looked at the catch can hoses and they didn't appear to be leaking and didn't see any oil around them.

I have a CAI Inc intake and an Elite Engineering can, outside of that is don't have any other mods.

Before i put the stock PCV line back in i wanted to check with you all to see if anyone else has experienced this?

When I empty the can, how much oil should make me wory?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
If you unscrew it and it overflows onto your hand I'd be worried.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
vs_pete

Drives: VEII MY12 Sportwagon 3.6L LFX V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
If you unscrew it and it overflows onto your hand I'd be worried.
Worried I`ve got a oil problem or worried I forgot I have to drain the catch can every now and then.
vs_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:04 AM   #4
SliverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vs_pete View Post
Worried I`ve got a oil problem or worried I forgot I have to drain the catch can every now and then.
Worried I've got an oil problem.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
Twin Town Terror

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverSurfer View Post
So, I went to the dealer to get my oil changed and the tech mentioned that I was 3/4 quart low. I don't drive the car hard, haven't noticed any oil on the ground and havent notticed any oil in the engine compartment. I emptied my catch can about 1000/1500 miles ago and it did the seem to have excessive amounts of oil...maybe 2 Oz (2 shot glasses) after ~ 1000 miles. I looked at the catch can hoses and they didn't appear to be leaking and didn't see any oil around them.

I have a CAI Inc intake and an Elite Engineering can, outside of that is don't have any other mods.

Before i put the stock PCV line back in i wanted to check with you all to see if anyone else has experienced this?

Sounds to me like you are fine. The catch can is probably getting a little more oil than usual because it is now winter, colder temps. When oil is cold it is thicker and can build more crank case pressure. Which is being vented through the can...

I don't drive mine in the winter but was in the 2.5 - 3 oz range every 3000 miles last summer.
Elite catch can & clean side oil separator, Apex Scoop, CAI cold air intake, Vmax ported throttle body, TTT ported intake manifold, JacFab intake manifold spacer, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Weld RT-S 17x5 f and 17x 9 r wheels, MT 28/6/17 f and M&H 275/50/17 r tires, TTT rear seat delete, Nitrous Outlet plate kit, 125hp jets.
Twin Town Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
SliverSurfer

Thanks for the info all.

I put the stock PCV line back in and will be keeping a close eye on it over the next week or two.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
How many miles on your car? If it's relatively low mileage I wouldn't be too concerned.

Before the rings have fully seated you will see more oil consumption. Once they seat, you should see less. And then when you have a butt load of miles on it you will start to see more again. Such is life.

In the beginning I went from catching just shy of 2 oz of oil in the catch can between oil changes to just a couple drops in between changes by the time I hit about 25-30k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
sixtyseven

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT/RS 2017 XL1200C
The catch can doesn't catch all 100% of oil vapor some gets by. I believe a little bit gets by on the clean side at WOT also.
2015 2LT/RS Black -w- CGM Rally Stripes. CAI, Elite CC, Apex air scoop + w/b kit, JacFab ported IM/Extendolator, Solo HFC's, Corsa Sport Cat-Back #14953, GM strut brace, GM stealth splash guards, GM premium floor mats, Defenderworx two tone sills, Emblem Pro LFX hood emblems, FR41-20x9/20x10 gloss black wheels, OK91/93 - OKTCM Tune.

sixtyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverSurfer View Post

I would keep an eye on it . But I wouldn't be to worried . A lot depends on how hard you drive the car .Do you have a Manual vs Auto . Manual trans can potentially go through more oil . My car goes through about a quart in 2500 miles . I just make sure to check my oil every couple of weeks when I empty my CC.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
SliverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
How many miles on your car? If it's relatively low mileage I wouldn't be too concerned.

Before the rings have fully seated you will see more oil consumption. Once they seat, you should see less. And then when you have a butt load of miles on it you will start to see more again. Such is life.

In the beginning I went from catching just shy of 2 oz of oil in the catch can between oil changes to just a couple drops in between changes by the time I hit about 25-30k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got just shy of 28K miles on her...I haven't notticed a lot of loss, but I guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on it now.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #11
SliverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I would keep an eye on it . But I wouldn't be to worried . A lot depends on how hard you drive the car .Do you have a Manual vs Auto . Manual trans can potentially go through more oil . My car goes through about a quart in 2500 miles . I just make sure to check my oil every couple of weeks when I empty my CC.
I do have a manual, but I don't drive it too hard. Guess it's going to be a game of watching oil consu,ption.