The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #1
Camaro_Fuzion

Drives: 2022 Chevy Camaro 2SS Redline
Questions about bill of sale and who it should apply to?

I have some concerns and questions. I am not a business. This past summer I sold my wrecked Camaro 2010 2SS to a tow/body shop guy for $5K in cash. After he paid me. I signed over the title to him. I did not include an official bill of sale from all cash transaction. Last week, the guy contacts me and says he is going to sell the car to one of his family members. He wants me to create a bill of sale in his other family member's name and not his. I just find it odd that he will not create the bill of sale since he is the now owner of the wrecked Camaro 2010 2SS. Should I be concerned? Is this guy trying to pull a scam or some shady BS? Will I be left legal issues or a non-disclosed fee from the state of Texas? By not creating a bill of sale for the original buyer of my vehicle? Shouldn't I create a bill of sale for the original buyer and let him deal with creating a new bill of sale with his own family member? Something does not sound right here. What would be the best course of action to take? I want to help the guy the right way. I just do not want to get screwed. The car has all kinds of issues from the wreck. I verbally disclosed that to the buyer already when he saw and purchased the vehicle in said condition. Am I missing something here that will end up biting me in the ass later? I sold the car for what it is worth in said condition. I did not make any profit above what the value of the vehicle is worth.
Camaro_Fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Not sure how the laws are in Texas but where I am you will need to complete a bill of sale with the person you sold it to and they will need to do one for their family member between them. He may be trying to get out of any taxes involved in it. I would’ve completed one the first time but that ship has sailed. Not saying you done anything wrong or placing blame so don’t take it that way. The bill is sale should state “sold as is” no warranty on the one you have with him.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
Camaro_Fuzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
Not sure how the laws are in Texas but where I am you will need to complete a bill of sale with the person you sold it to and they will need to do one for their family member between them. He may be trying to get out of any taxes involved in it. I would’ve completed one the first time but that ship has sailed. Not saying you done anything wrong or placing blame so don’t take it that way. The bill is sale should state “sold as is” no warranty on the one you have with him.
Exactly! I will make a bill of sale for him only. I really think he is trying to avoid Texas sales tax because he is not planning on keeping the car to drive now. I'm not sure but you can never be to careless in knowing the best laws and practices to avoid issues later on. It could be as simple as me making out the bill of sale to his family member so he can avoid the sale tax. He would avoid the sales tax on $5K I could mark what ever price I want for his family member to lower their sales tax on the bill of sale. Man, that car will need new airbags installed and other work to pass inspection. That is not my problem anymore now.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #4
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Well if you completed the title correctly and completed and and sent in the notice of sale form correctly then nothing more needs done on your part. Texas doesn't require a bill of sale form to be turned in from what i've seen.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
Camaro_Fuzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Well if you completed the title correctly and completed and and sent in the notice of sale form correctly then nothing more needs done on your part. Texas doesn't require a bill of sale form to be turned in from what i've seen.
Hello, thank you for the response. All I did was sign over the title. I never sent in a notice of sale form to the state of Texas or to anyone for that matter. The car is already paid off. I did not even re-register the 2010 Camaro 2SS with the DMV because I was not driving it. The state of Texas does not require anyone to register a car unless they plan on driving it. You can leave a non-moving vehicle in you're front driveway care free.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Fuzion View Post
Hello, thank you for the response. All I did was sign over the title. I never sent in a notice of sale form to the state of Texas or to anyone for that matter. The car is already paid off. I did not even re-register the 2010 Camaro 2SS with the DMV because I was not driving it. The state of Texas does not require anyone to register a car unless they plan on driving it. You can leave a non-moving vehicle in you're front driveway care free.
Ok well vehicle registration is irrelevant. So all you did was sign your name on the title and nothing else? Or did you and the buyer fill everything out? Never in a million years would I just sign my name to a title and leave/trust someone else to fill out the rest. And in Missouri that's against the law anyways. I've shut deals down at the last minute becuase of stuff like this. Either they want to do it correctly and if not, then go find someone else to jerk around.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:26 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Ok well vehicle registration is irrelevant. So all you did was sign your name on the title and nothing else? Or did you and the buyer fill everything out? Never in a million years would I just sign my name to a title and leave/trust someone else to fill out the rest. And in Missouri that's against the law anyways. I've shut deals down at the last minute becuase of stuff like this. Either they want to do it correctly and if not, then go find someone else to jerk around.
Not all states have the same info on titles. NC only has the First, Middle, and Last name Printed, First, Middle, and Last name Signed, and Date. There is nothing else to fill out in the change of ownership section.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:51 AM   #8
Camaro_Fuzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Not all states have the same info on titles. NC only has the First, Middle, and Last name Printed, First, Middle, and Last name Signed, and Date. There is nothing else to fill out in the change of ownership section.

I just signed and dated the title. I didn't do anything else. I'm not sure I would have to in the state of Texas. The original buyer is going to sell it off to his cousin to avoid the sales tax on a car he doesn't want to keep anyway. If I can't find any issues arising from it. I might consider creating the bill of sale for his cousin. I just don't want to find out later that I needed to also collect sales tax on the cash deal. I'm not a business or dealership. I just wanted to part ways with the Camaro 2010 2SS. I am lucky to get $5K in said condition. I also did not make an above profit. The only way I would have is if the car wasn't involved in a wreck. So $5K is better then the $3K offer that had been presented to me earlier. I owned that car since 1-11-11 to 08-21-20 It had 145,000 recorded miles and three prior accidents from other owners. The last one is the only one I was ever involved in. Based on all those factors. It was time to sell. I wish someone on here knew Texas laws on selling a used vehicle in said condition.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:53 AM   #9
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
In all honesty I don't know the law either in Texas. Right now your in between a rock and a stone. You might better just call your DMV or go to them and get the right answers. If this guy sells the car to someone else and things happen you both could be in big trouble. But just don't let him talk you into signing a sale receit now.

But it's your choice.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I sold a junk car without sending in the notice of sale one time. I just signed the title and gave it to the dude.

The buyer never titled the car in his name. He took the parts he wanted and dumped the rest of the car on the side of the road.

I ended up having to pay to clean up that mess. The tow company was cool with me, so it only cost me about 3X the amount of money I sold the car for to make it all go away.

Seller beware.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #11
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Fair enough but doesnt north Carolina require the titles to be notarized or is that with only 2 or more names on a title?

Idk but from the Texas DMV website, he still should've sent in a title transfer form to the DMV and had completed a bill of sale for added protection for himself.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...ling-a-vehicle
Old 01-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #12
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU DUCE View Post
In all honesty I don't know the law either in Texas. Right now your in between a rock and a stone. You might better just call your DMV or go to them and get the right answers. If this guy sells the car to someone else and things happen you both could be in big trouble. But just don't let him talk you into signing a sale receit now.

But it's your choice.
^^^This^^^

Like my attorneys have told me, (two wrongs don't make a right) when it comes to filling out legal forms
Old 01-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Fuzion View Post
I have some concerns and questions. I am not a business. This past summer I sold my wrecked Camaro 2010 2SS to a tow/body shop guy for $5K in cash. After he paid me. I signed over the title to him. I did not include an official bill of sale from all cash transaction. Last week, the guy contacts me and says he is going to sell the car to one of his family members. He wants me to create a bill of sale in his other family member's name and not his. I just find it odd that he will not create the bill of sale since he is the now owner of the wrecked Camaro 2010 2SS. Should I be concerned? Is this guy trying to pull a scam or some shady BS? Will I be left legal issues or a non-disclosed fee from the state of Texas? By not creating a bill of sale for the original buyer of my vehicle? Shouldn't I create a bill of sale for the original buyer and let him deal with creating a new bill of sale with his own family member? Something does not sound right here. What would be the best course of action to take? I want to help the guy the right way. I just do not want to get screwed. The car has all kinds of issues from the wreck. I verbally disclosed that to the buyer already when he saw and purchased the vehicle in said condition. Am I missing something here that will end up biting me in the ass later? I sold the car for what it is worth in said condition. I did not make any profit above what the value of the vehicle is worth.
It sounds to me that you do have an opportunity to square this away. Consider yourself lucky that the tow/autobody guy still has the car and wants to unload it....(not uncommon, that's why they are tow/autobody guys...they flip cars all the time)....The title should have a spot for the new owner's name and address. Make out the bill of sale to whoever he wants and also put that info on the title you signed. There should be a spot for the new owner's info on the title. Just signing your name accomplished nothing. You want the car out of your name. Make copies and send in what you need to to the DMV in Texas. Do your homework on the link that was posted and do it the right way. Good luck. Make copies, even of the new buyer's driver's license. The sales amount and sales tax is small potatoes and irrelevant. Get the car out of your name.

In Ca we also have a form called "Release of Liability". Same info as the title, but it protects you in case the new owner just sits on it and never re-registers it.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:47 AM   #14
Camaro_Fuzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
It sounds to me that you do have an opportunity to square this away. Consider yourself lucky that the tow/autobody guy still has the car and wants to unload it....(not uncommon, that's why they are tow/autobody guys...they flip cars all the time)....The title should have a spot for the new owner's name and address. Make out the bill of sale to whoever he wants and also put that info on the title you signed. There should be a spot for the new owner's info on the title. Just signing your name accomplished nothing. You want the car out of your name. Make copies and send in what you need to to the DMV in Texas. Do your homework on the link that was posted and do it the right way. Good luck. Make copies, even of the new buyer's driver's license. The sales amount and sales tax is small potatoes and irrelevant. Get the car out of your name.

In Ca we also have a form called "Release of Liability". Same info as the title, but it protects you in case the new owner just sits on it and never re-registers it.
I contacted the buyer today. He now says I don't need to do anything else. I guess with having the title signed I'm squared away. He didn't respond to anything else. I will move on now........