Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
crowcoll

Drives: Camaro 2014 LS
Strange Steering Wheel Noise?

So I know a few posts have been made about this subject but I still wanted to get some of my fellow Camaro community's input on my problem. I started hearing this problem about 2 months ago when I had my radio off. Its a very squeaky sound when turning the wheel while the car is on. It doesn't happen when its in neutral. I can really hear it when at really low speeds or stopped while turning my wheels left or right. Also every now and then I can feel/hear a click when turning the steering wheel.

We took it to a local Chevy dealer to see if they could diagnose it for us and they said it was in the steering wheel column. After doing a lot of searching here on the topic It sounds like it could be the in the rack rather than the steering wheel column. At this point we are thinking about getting a 2nd opinion from a different Chevy dealer in my area.

Here is a video with a lot of different examples that me and my dad made. Turn up your volume a little so you can hear it a bit better.

Last edited by crowcoll; 10-03-2018 at 04:39 PM.
crowcoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Rob Russell

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
My 2014 just started making a clicking noise yesterday when I turn it left or right. Not sure if it’s the same parts, but I’m thinking mine might be a cv joint or something of that nature from what I’ve been able to gather from the forum. Going to get it to a shop in the next few days to see what someone else says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
crowcoll

Yeah I cant hear/feel the click very often but every now and then I can and its got me a little worried.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Mine has made the same noise since the first day I got it . It's normal. My 2003 Grand Am GT also made this noise your hearing.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
Codiath
brakes for squirrels

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
It almost seems as though the back of the wheel is rubbing on the column (doesn't explain the lack of noise in neutral though), Kinda hard to tell from the video. Turn the radio up or get a loud exhaust...problem solved. Please keep us posted I'm curious now.
Codiath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Rob Russell

I’m being told it could be anything from a rack and pinion, to struts, to toe rods and list goes on to tedious thing that help keep the car straight.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
crowcoll

Yeah we replaced the serpentine belt thinking it might have been slipping and not driving the power steering pump properly but that didn't fix the problem. Our warranty will not cover the steering column fix even though we bought the premium insurance. If its just the steering wheel column I would rather just leave it alone I can deal with an annoying sound coming from it. But if its the rack then that will become a problem down the road and would like to get it taken care of while we are insured for it.

Last edited by crowcoll; 10-04-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Rob Russell

Yeah, I found one of my issues was a bolt missing on the camber. So I have to order a new camber kit and have a local dealer install it. After that’s installed they’ll make sure the wheels are still aligned properly and hopefully there’s no more noise. I doubt it though. I feel like there’s still probably one or two more small parts acting up. I’ll keep you updated in the next couple of weeks to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #9
Zspoiler
Zspoiler

Drives: 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro
Have put the car on jackstands and the hood open then check and see.
Zspoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
Nighthawk2u

Drives: White LS
Wheel Noise

The noise on this vehicle is not present when the engine is not running. If you put the car in neutral with the engine off and let it roll down the driveway while turning the steering wheel, the noise is not present. The noise is only present with the engine running.
Nighthawk2u is offline   Reply With Quote