Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-06-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
Siadow

Drives: 2012 2LS
Finding Electric Cutouts

Good morning, I was wondering if any of you could help me find a good pair of electric cutouts for my 2012 2LS. Reason being I plan on getting my catalytic converters removed next month. However, I don't want to disturb the people in my town. So I decided to invest in some cutouts so I can have the best of both worlds. Will any of you be able to help me?

(Sharing your tips and information you think I don't know about this is encouraged)
Siadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Open exhaust on a V6 isn't going to sound good, only loud.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:56 AM   #3
Siadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Open exhaust on a V6 isn't going to sound good, only loud.
Can you elaborate, I don't understand. I only know that removing the catalytic converters makes the exhaust system loud.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:40 AM   #4
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Go to YouTube and search "v6 camaro open exhaust". That`s what I did when I got my v6 Camaro and decided after listening to quite a few videos that leaving the exhaust stock was less annoying, but it`s your car and if you find a decent sounding exhaust be sure to let us v6 owners know!
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:46 PM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
After installing high-flow cats from Solo my exhaust didn't get too much louder - maybe slightly on a cold start but not much. I suspect cat-less wouldn't be much louder than high-flow, but can't say for sure.

Also have the Solo cat-back and think it sounds pretty good. Based on what I've heard in person I'd say its sound is comparable to a Nissan/Infiniti V6 (G35/G37, 350Z/370Z, etc.).
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:38 PM   #6
Siadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Go to YouTube and search "v6 camaro open exhaust". That`s what I did when I got my v6 Camaro and decided after listening to quite a few videos that leaving the exhaust stock was less annoying, but it`s your car and if you find a decent sounding exhaust be sure to let us v6 owners know!
I see, I'll look into it. I have a whole month of research to do on this before I make my decision. Right now mine has dual Flowmaster tips, so I think that a muffler delete isn't really needed. From the videos I've watched where they removed the cats, It sounded good.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #7
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siadow View Post
Can you elaborate, I don't understand. I only know that removing the catalytic converters makes the exhaust system loud.
Which begs the question….what do you think cutouts do? If I’m reading correctly, if your exhaust is going to be loud with the cats removed, cutouts won’t make it quiet. You’ll have loud and louder. The only way to get from mild to wild is to keep the exhaust quiet then when you open the cutouts it sounds like (and basically is) straight pipes..in the case of a v/6 it’ll sound like an old pulpwood truck.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:48 PM   #8
RS/SS '10
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
There is a difference between loud and annoying.
RS/SS '10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:09 PM   #9
Siadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
Which begs the question….what do you think cutouts do? If I’m reading correctly, if your exhaust is going to be loud with the cats removed, cutouts won’t make it quiet. You’ll have loud and louder. The only way to get from mild to wild is to keep the exhaust quiet then when you open the cutouts it sounds like (and basically is) straight pipes..in the case of a v/6 it’ll sound like an old pulpwood truck.
I think cutouts will limit the noise to some degree, not completely suppress it to its original decibel range. My main goal is to make my 2012 loud, the cutouts are wanted because I understand that others may find the noise unbearable. I kind of agree with you on straight piping a v6. Personally, from the videos I've watched, it doesn't sound as bad as people say.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #10
RS/SS '10
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siadow View Post
I think cutouts will limit the noise to some degree, not completely suppress it to its original decibel range. My main goal is to make my 2012 loud, the cutouts are wanted because I understand that others may find the noise unbearable. I kind of agree with you on straight piping a v6. Personally, from the videos I've watched, it doesn't sound as bad as people say.
Which begs another question, why did you ask for opinions, when you are arguing with the response you are getting? Just a thought
RS/SS '10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:27 PM   #11
gtstorey

I’m not sure you understand what cut outs do, especially in an aftermarket/modified setup. If you have mufflers, cut outs will allow the exhaust to exit prior to the mufflers. Your choice will be muffled as it is without cut outs or opening the cut outs to run as straight pipes. The cut outs won’t limit noise to less than it is without them. Of course I guess straight pipe in your mind is the normal mode and then you close the cut outs to run muffled.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:55 PM   #12
Siadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS/SS '10 View Post
Which begs another question, why did you ask for opinions, when you are arguing with the response you are getting? Just a thought
Arguing? I'm not arguing with you or anyone on this thread. I'm just trying to get the right understanding of everything before I make this decision. Which is why I explained to you what I think cutouts are and why I want to use them.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:01 PM   #13
Siadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I’m not sure you understand what cut outs do, especially in an aftermarket/modified setup. If you have mufflers, cut outs will allow the exhaust to exit prior to the mufflers. Your choice will be muffled as it is without cut outs or opening the cut outs to run as straight pipes. The cut outs won’t limit noise to less than it is without them. Of course I guess straight pipe in your mind is the normal mode and then you close the cut outs to run muffled.
Oh, I understand now. What do you suggest I do?
Old 04-06-2022, 08:27 PM   #14
gtstorey

Is not annoying everyone with loud pipes an option?

I don’t know if there are any benefits to removing the cats on the v6 or not so not sure what you are trying to accomplish unless they a failing. If you want more sound, just get an aftermarket “cat back” exhaust which would basically new mufflers. They will be louder but hopefully not to loud. If you must remove the cats, then run them through the stock mufflers. This again will still be louder than stock but probably not too bad.