Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
SS Blue Betty RS
Amber

Drives: 2010 1SS RS Camaro w/ crazy exhaust
Angry Everything wrong with my SS

Ahhh...the love I have for my car will never end...BUT I've really had to bite the bullet on part problems.

To begin:
I pre-ordered my SS RS in March of 09' and was able to pick it up after I got out of Basic Training/AIT in SEP 09'. Immediately after doing a walk around I realized that my paint was rubbed off the tip of my front bumper and it was chipping around the rear quarter panel....awesome. I was told to bring it back in around the end of my bumper to bumper to have it touched up one last time. Well wouldn't you know that when I brought it back in last year, they touched up one side and not the other. I wasn't aware of this until I detailed it a few weeks later

A month after I had Betty Page (my blue baby) I noticed the brakes were squealing. They replaced this, no problem, but I was without my car for almost a week. Apparently there was a maintenance bulletin that allowed them to replace my entire brake system.

Upon my first real launch....wouldn't you know my clutch stuck to the floor. I had another Camaro owner and his girlfriend in the car to witness the smell of death that filled the cab moments after. Took it back to my dealership, but they wouldn't fix it since they couldn't 'duplicate the issue' EVEN THOUGH I brought in numerous maintenance statements and similar complaints from others. Nothing....so now I'm stuck with a problem pressure plate and clutch pad....Failure to Launch is my new Motto.

During my first winter I realized that my clutch didn't really like me trying to get into 3rd gear when it was colder than 35 degrees outside. Again, no resolution as the 'problem couldn't be duplicated' by my dealership. Awesome....

After a year I saved up enough to get my bumper-to-bumper black rally stripes painted on. Upon picking up my car with my new stripes, I noticed a nice crack in my windshield that so happened to appear...Dealership paid for a new windshield after I threatened them with a lawsuit and 3 weeks of phone calls. Later did I look it up and realize that this was a common epidemic with the 2010 Camaros...hmm...

I'll make this last part cumulative. When I took her in for the bumper to bumper the dealership had to replace; my steering wheel and stick shift because the leather was faded and flaking, the motor in my driver's side mirror because it burnt out, the sensors in my tires because they were reading for the opposite sides, a piece of plastic by the rear side window behind the drivers seat because it was bowed up, and re-attach the cloth of my seats because they had fallen away from the bases of the seats.

It's safe to say my dealership probably hates me because I come to them with everything. This is the price you have to pay with purchasing a first year (in a long time) vehicle, although I'm very disappointing in GM for not providing replacements on known problem parts. I love Betty too much to replace her, my pride has a lot to do with it, but with problem after problem I'm wondering when it will end.

Anyone else having a nightmare run with their 2010?
Old 08-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
Damn, im sorry to hear about all that. I know how you feel. I hope it gets better for you soon.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
SS Blue Betty RS
Amber

Drives: 2010 1SS RS Camaro w/ crazy exhaust
Thank you. Just pisses me off that I spend close to 40k on a car that I thought would always have a guarantee. I didn't think GM would low ball me like this 'we couldn't duplicate the problem' crap
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
My '10 SS has been great.
Everything works fine even after 4 years and almost 30,000 miles.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Could be worse. Dealership pulls the same stuff with my transmission that still grinds in reverse, clutch rattles and shifter threatens to pop out of gear. It's on them to replace it because it's documented as 'being fine'. They 'couldn't replicate it'. Not to mention they took one look at the flaking/peeling clear coat and accused me of doing it.. when it came to them like that (GM certified used).

I honestly stopped giving a flying f'k..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
I doubt the dealership hates you, or hates to see you coming. if everything is covered under the bumper to bumper, they just send the bill to GM. hell, the mechanics probably love you
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
You noticed a couple of paint issues when you picked up the brand new car. And then planned on bringing it back to fix them when the car has 35K or almost 3 years old? (around the end of the B to B) That's strange.
Anytime I have a mechanical problem with any vehicle, that may or may not be duplicated by someone else. I get the service manager or a tech to ride with me and I make sure they see, feel, or hear the problem. Then there is no, (cannot duplicate the problem). You got to show them. Couldn't you have duplicated the clutch problem and shown them?
You took your car to the dealer to have some stripes painted on the car, they cracked a perfect windshield in the process? That's strange. I'd be leery of this place if that is true. So you did get a new one for free.
Sounds like the dealership took care of you on replacing the other faulty things you mentioned. Things don't sound that bad here the way Im reading it.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Were you cleaning and treating your leather appointed interior pieces regularly? I know the GM interior isn't exactly the highest end leather, but I treat my seats and leather pieces monthly.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Sorry to hear about all of that, but glad to hear your not giving up on her. Sounds like a couple of those issues were provided by the dealerships service department. If you feel you can't trust them to do a good job, then you have to go somewhere else. There are some GM service departments that are the worst where they break things on your car as they do repairs & tell you that it was a problem with the car and you have to pay for it even though they were the ones to screw up. Or they try to get you to replace things that don't need replaced. Guess that's why both GM dealers in my town were a couple of the first to go when GM had their dealer cut backs 2009 & 2010. the dealership I've been dealing with for the past 4-5 years is amazing with customer service & take good care of the customers, and I'm planning to buy a new 2013 Camaro SS from them soon.
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
Launch control will make your clutch stick to the floor.
It does it in my car.
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I'd have to say I'm a little disappointed with the overall quality of mine too. Don't get me wrong, I still love the car but in the 4 months that I've had it I've had the splitter replaced, an axle replaced, the HUD problem has started, and the leather trim on my dash lifts occasionally. I've also noticed cosmetic things like the door panels aren't aligned well with the rockers, there's dirt in the paint (shows REALLY well on a white car), etc. I bought new instead of classic for new car reliability, which has not been 100%. I also bought this car with all intentions of it becoming a permanent part of the family... handing it off to my son when he's old enough, etc. Having this many problems this early (however minor they might be) is making me wonder if I'll have that chance.

So, OP... you're not alone but you gotta think the glass is still half full, or move on to a different car. I'm not quite sure how Oshawa got the quality kudos that it did. Between my wife and I, we've had 10 new cars of various brands (US and foreign) and none have had the number of problems my Camaro has this early in ownership... though the VW Jetta we had might be close.

As far as the customer service reps on this site go, I'm honestly not sure what they actually do/don't do either. I do hope they're at least collecting data to 1) build a database to make it easier for dealerships to diagnose problems and 2) compile customer feedback to provide a better, more reliable product... at delivery.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
After four years with our 2010 SS, we are pleased with it. Had two minor items that were covered under warranty. I find that the paint on the car chips too easily, though.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

You should look at www.challengertalk.com. Some of those guys are having nightmare issues with their Challengers, which is a damn shame, I really like the Challenger.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
I've had issues with my early 2010 but it was stock parts breaking due to my hp level. Other than that its been great.
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I am surprised GM has these reps here....after reading for a while, you realize they are monitors, rather than actual staff that can affect the situation. The dealer is an independent businessman and NOT a GM employee....very independent.....

When you realize the dealer system is protected by state laws that limit the mfr from getting in their faces and threatening them, the reps here have very little or no power. I've been a rep and you can't threaten a dealer at all with the loss of their franchise unless they are committing a felony. That, or the entire dealer network is being downsized and even then you are asking for lawsuits. And really does not happen too often.

That being said, a. Dealer wants to get along with the factory, because a facrep can call for all sorts of audits that make your life as a dealer miserable.

But when I read here that someone had a bad sales experience, the rep here can't do jack except call the dealer and tell them someone is bitching....it always just boils down to a "he said-she said" conversation that goes no where.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote