Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Blue Betty RS View Post
Ahhh...the love I have for my car will never end...BUT I've really had to bite the bullet on part problems.

To begin:
I pre-ordered my SS RS in March of 09' and was able to pick it up after I got out of Basic Training/AIT in SEP 09'. Immediately after doing a walk around I realized that my paint was rubbed off the tip of my front bumper and it was chipping around the rear quarter panel....awesome. I was told to bring it back in around the end of my bumper to bumper to have it touched up one last time. Well wouldn't you know that when I brought it back in last year, they touched up one side and not the other. I wasn't aware of this until I detailed it a few weeks later

A month after I had Betty Page (my blue baby) I noticed the brakes were squealing. They replaced this, no problem, but I was without my car for almost a week. Apparently there was a maintenance bulletin that allowed them to replace my entire brake system.

Upon my first real launch....wouldn't you know my clutch stuck to the floor. I had another Camaro owner and his girlfriend in the car to witness the smell of death that filled the cab moments after. Took it back to my dealership, but they wouldn't fix it since they couldn't 'duplicate the issue' EVEN THOUGH I brought in numerous maintenance statements and similar complaints from others. Nothing....so now I'm stuck with a problem pressure plate and clutch pad....Failure to Launch is my new Motto.

During my first winter I realized that my clutch didn't really like me trying to get into 3rd gear when it was colder than 35 degrees outside. Again, no resolution as the 'problem couldn't be duplicated' by my dealership. Awesome....

After a year I saved up enough to get my bumper-to-bumper black rally stripes painted on. Upon picking up my car with my new stripes, I noticed a nice crack in my windshield that so happened to appear...Dealership paid for a new windshield after I threatened them with a lawsuit and 3 weeks of phone calls. Later did I look it up and realize that this was a common epidemic with the 2010 Camaros...hmm...

I'll make this last part cumulative. When I took her in for the bumper to bumper the dealership had to replace; my steering wheel and stick shift because the leather was faded and flaking, the motor in my driver's side mirror because it burnt out, the sensors in my tires because they were reading for the opposite sides, a piece of plastic by the rear side window behind the drivers seat because it was bowed up, and re-attach the cloth of my seats because they had fallen away from the bases of the seats.

It's safe to say my dealership probably hates me because I come to them with everything. This is the price you have to pay with purchasing a first year (in a long time) vehicle, although I'm very disappointing in GM for not providing replacements on known problem parts. I love Betty too much to replace her, my pride has a lot to do with it, but with problem after problem I'm wondering when it will end.

Anyone else having a nightmare run with their 2010?
Sounds like some of the '08 Solstices. Mine: 25 warranty visits in 24 months...one caused a slashed hand when the chrome peeled off the door handle.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I am truely sorry for your luck, but I have to point this out since no one else has. Why did you accept the car at time of delivery?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I am surprised GM has these reps here....after reading for a while, you realize they are monitors, rather than actual staff that can affect the situation. The dealer is an independent businessman and NOT a GM employee....very independent.....

When you realize the dealer system is protected by state laws that limit the mfr from getting in their faces and threatening them, the reps here have very little or no power. I've been a rep and you can't threaten a dealer at all with the loss of their franchise unless they are committing a felony. That, or the entire dealer network is being downsized and even then you are asking for lawsuits. And really does not happen too often.

That being said, a. Dealer wants to get along with the factory, because a facrep can call for all sorts of audits that make your life as a dealer miserable.

But when I read here that someone had a bad sales experience, the rep here can't do jack except call the dealer and tell them someone is bitching....it always just boils down to a "he said-she said" conversation that goes no where.....
Wrong...They helped get my car fixed. A different dealer, but a far better one. Glad they are here.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #18
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I am truely sorry for your luck, but I have to point this out since no one else has. Why did you accept the car at time of delivery?
He said the only thing wrong at delivery was the paint. Not all the other stuff.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
You noticed a couple of paint issues when you picked up the brand new car. And then planned on bringing it back to fix them when the car has 35K or almost 3 years old? (around the end of the B to B) That's strange.
Anytime I have a mechanical problem with any vehicle, that may or may not be duplicated by someone else. I get the service manager or a tech to ride with me and I make sure they see, feel, or hear the problem. Then there is no, (cannot duplicate the problem). You got to show them. Couldn't you have duplicated the clutch problem and shown them?
You took your car to the dealer to have some stripes painted on the car, they cracked a perfect windshield in the process? That's strange. I'd be leery of this place if that is true. So you did get a new one for free.
Sounds like the dealership took care of you on replacing the other faulty things you mentioned. Things don't sound that bad here the way Im reading it.
^ This. Only reason my dealership won't act was because the problem just loves to be random. I left it with them for almost a week and they couldn't replicate it. Drove for an hour with the tech in the car and yup, nothing. Got home.. and what does it do?

Can't help dumb luck or chance.

My paint.. well can't help it when your body shop is run by a 'Stupid Is' and his brother 'Stupid Does'.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
Wrong...They helped get my car fixed. A different dealer, but a far better one. Glad they are here.

I never said they were not helpful in finding another dealer...but straightening out a dealer you are in contention with is above their pay grade....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I never said they were not helpful in finding another dealer...but straightening out a dealer you are in contention with is above their pay grade....
If a dealer is a jerk, they can't do anything, that is true. Seems to be a lot of jerks with dealerships out there.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
We're sorry to hear that Betty has so many ailments, SS Blue Betty RS. We see that you've been working with your dealership, and if you feel you need additional support we're only a private message away.

Sarah (Assisting William)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
hcso617

Drives: 15 SS 2SS RS 1LE Red Rock Metallic
Sorry about Betty's ailments, Thanks for your service. Take up Sarah's offer.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
He said the only thing wrong at delivery was the paint. Not all the other stuff.
Im sorry, but if paint was rubbed off the front and chipped in the rear...that's a damn good reason for not accepting the car.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
I'd have to say I'm a little disappointed with the overall quality of mine too. Don't get me wrong, I still love the car but in the 4 months that I've had it I've had the splitter replaced, an axle replaced, the HUD problem has started, and the leather trim on my dash lifts occasionally. I've also noticed cosmetic things like the door panels aren't aligned well with the rockers, there's dirt in the paint (shows REALLY well on a white car), etc. I bought new instead of classic for new car reliability, which has not been 100%. I also bought this car with all intentions of it becoming a permanent part of the family... handing it off to my son when he's old enough, etc. Having this many problems this early (however minor they might be) is making me wonder if I'll have that chance.

So, OP... you're not alone but you gotta think the glass is still half full, or move on to a different car. I'm not quite sure how Oshawa got the quality kudos that it did. Between my wife and I, we've had 10 new cars of various brands (US and foreign) and none have had the number of problems my Camaro has this early in ownership... though the VW Jetta we had might be close.

As far as the customer service reps on this site go, I'm honestly not sure what they actually do/don't do either. I do hope they're at least collecting data to 1) build a database to make it easier for dealerships to diagnose problems and 2) compile customer feedback to provide a better, more reliable product... at delivery.

I also have a white car and I'm surprised to hear there's dirt in the paint and can't be removed. In my experience, it's often actually in the clear coat, not the paint and can be removed with a clay bar.I have had dirt embedded in the clear coat to the point where they looked and felt like rock chips and small scratches and had them lifted right out with a good going over with the clay bar. sorry if you've already tried it, just thought i'd offer a helpful suggestion.