Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #477
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
Again, that's a possibly. But when an article quotes actual numbers, which are easily proven or disproven, I'll go with those instead of anecdotal stories. Numbers don't lie - 2+2 is always going to equal 4.
Actual numbers? How do you know? I can tell you for fact in 2019 I was paying for regular fuel between $1.49 and $1.79 a gallon for months and months! One of my boats holds 120 gallons.... one holds 1100 gallons of diesel....I'm not delusional about this. 2+2 does equal 4 but when I can fill my gas boat for less than $200 that doesn't equal $2.64/gallon! Maybe they used prices in the highest market....say Los Angeles? I might could buy that. But that's not representative of the country as a whole.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:32 PM   #478
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotavo View Post
Your expenses have increased far more than your income, by government fiat. Fact.
theres no doubting that...if mr.biden and his pals want to reduce the carbon footprint let them park their jets and luxury yaughts.maybe even sell off a few mansions.they havent got a clue about what the average person considers a reasonable budget.im glad i drive a 6 cylinder camaro and the wife drives a 2018 honda that gets 34-42 mpg.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:55 PM   #479
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
Actual numbers? How do you know? I can tell you for fact in 2019 I was paying for regular fuel between $1.49 and $1.79 a gallon for months and months! One of my boats holds 120 gallons.... one holds 1100 gallons of diesel....I'm not delusional about this. 2+2 does equal 4 but when I can fill my gas boat for less than $200 that doesn't equal $2.64/gallon! Maybe they used prices in the highest market....say Los Angeles? I might could buy that. But that's not representative of the country as a whole.
I keep meticulous records of my gas consumption for my vehicles - especially my boat. Here's a copy of a receipt from 2019, for Southeast Michigan. Now granted fuel on the water used to be about a dollar higher than what it cost on land, but we also don't pay certain taxes for boat fuel. Maybe your prices are significantly less in your neck of the woods but I think the prices quoted in the article are generally accurate. Sometimes we think things were better than they were, when they weren't, and vice versa. You can also assume that as a boat owner, I don't sweat the price of gas - a boat is a luxury, not a necessity - so I just adjust my budget to account for any increases. Yes, I know I'm fortunate compared to many, but I also planned my life so I can afford certain luxuries.
Attached Images

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #480
SaReNi

Drives: 2012 SS
yep, I also paid less than $2 a gallon for 87 here in 2019. stats do lie. depends on who is compiling it and where they draw the stats from. there are masters out there of making stats say what they want. don't believe everything you read.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #481
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaReNi View Post
yep, I also paid less than $2 a gallon for 87 here in 2019. stats do lie. depends on who is compiling it and where they draw the stats from. there are masters out there of making stats say what they want. don't believe everything you read.
The article listed prices from around 2.17 to 2.84 from 2019 to 2020, so that's about right. What I'm referring to is the fact that $4.00 gas prices, adjusted for inflation, isn't a new phenomena, and prices usually go back down based on general supply and demand conditions.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Old 03-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #482
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Your expenses have increased far more than your income, by government fiat. Fact.
Only if you haven't invested wisely and/or planned accordingly. The same people bitching about gas prices are the same people who buy $70,000 SUVs which is one of the craziest things you can do and won't do matching on their 401k. That meme about people complaining about gas yet idling inline for overpriced coffee best shows it. But again, it's a free country - spend your money how you like - but expect certain consequences associated with those choices.

Old 03-28-2022, 04:47 PM   #483
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Caprice PPV 2014 Caprice PPV
Quote:
Only if you haven't invested wisely and/or planned accordingly.
I'm writing of the mean income of blue collar US. For 40 years they have had very little left after the necessities to invest nor plan. Nafta was only the tip of the tragedy. Offshoring decreased the average wage of tens of millions of such people, as their property taxes, sales taxes and income tax bills increased, all by government mandate, which made China rich and blue collar America poor. Bad deal if you ask me. Now sanctions are making Americans poorer to make Russians richer. These sanctions have no negative effect on Russia, only on Americans. Russia isn't the target of this new round of sanctions. You are.
Scotavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:48 PM   #484
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Only if you haven't invested wisely and/or planned accordingly. The same people bitching about gas prices are the same people who buy $70,000 SUVs which is one of the craziest things you can do and won't do matching on their 401k. That meme about people complaining about gas yet idling inline for overpriced coffee best shows it. But again, it's a free country - spend your money how you like - but expect certain consequences associated with those choices.
To be fair, that meme was during Covid and because people became so scared over nothing, the plandemic made getting your coffee inside impossible. Hence crazy drive through lines.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:52 PM   #485
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
I'm writing of the mean income of blue collar US. For 40 years they have had very little left after the necessities to invest nor plan. Nafta was only the tip of the tragedy. Offshoring decreased the average wage of tens of millions of such people, as their property taxes, sales taxes and income tax bills increased, all by government mandate, which made China rich and blue collar America poor. Bad deal if you ask me. Now sanctions are making Americans poorer to make Russians richer. These sanctions have no negative effect on Russia, only on Americans. Russia isn't the target of this new round of sanctions. You are.
You might be regurgitating what trickles down to Euro media. At least we Americans ostensibly all live under the same rules. Your mileage may vary. I consider myself a mean, blue collar subject, I mean, example. As has been noted, planning, prudence and yes, a bit of good fortune and luck, go a long way to determining your future. I made the sacrifices. Or at least tried.

While the odds might be stacked against some, by and large, here in America, the harder you work, the luckier you get. Fewer of us make Hunter Biden-like strides but ‘royalty privilege’ is not exclusive to the U.S.A. either.

But things like ‘Offshoring’ and dissolving of the Glass-Steagall Act certainly lead to a systematic selling off of America. And allegedly had a hand in previous crises.

All chicken coming home to roost. Our problem is a delusional belief in a system that no longer walks the talk. We may learn someday. Maybe not.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:13 PM   #486
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Caprice PPV 2014 Caprice PPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
But things like ‘Offshoring’ and dissolving of the Glass-Steagall Act certainly lead to a systematic selling off of America. And allegedly had a hand in previous crises.
All chicken coming home to roost. Our problem is a delusional belief in a system that no longer walks the talk. We may learn someday. Maybe not.
Sounds just like what I wrote.
Scotavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:21 PM   #487
RS/SS '10
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Good bye and good riddance scotavo
RS/SS '10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:01 PM   #488
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Sounds just like what I wrote.
No, you made it sound like the mean, blue collar worker was scratching out a dumpster-diving existence. Far from it. With few exceptions, if that’s where you are, you forged those chains in life.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:18 PM   #489
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
I keep meticulous records of my gas consumption for my vehicles - especially my boat.

Boats suck gas. They just do. I had a 27' Sleekcraft daycruiser, basic 454 with twin turbos, 2 speed trans, V-drive. It would fly but it sucked down some fuel! Pull up in a station between the pumps with it on the trailer and hang a fuel hose into each tank. That one had twin 22 gal tanks, a normal weekend that started Friday evening or early Sat morning about mid day Sunday it would need to be "topped off" again. Fortunately gas was cheaper back then.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:52 PM   #490
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
Boats suck gas. They just do. I had a 27' Sleekcraft daycruiser, basic 454 with twin turbos, 2 speed trans, V-drive. It would fly but it sucked down some fuel! Pull up in a station between the pumps with it on the trailer and hang a fuel hose into each tank. That one had twin 22 gal tanks, a normal weekend that started Friday evening or early Sat morning about mid day Sunday it would need to be "topped off" again. Fortunately gas was cheaper back then.
Yes they do. I deliberately went with a single engine 260 Merc when I bought mine 25 years ago because I knew how gas fluctuated. People warned me to get twins in case one went bad on the water but I just keep my Boat US tow fees up to date and maintain my engine and stern drive very well. Still, a hundred gallon tank and maybe one mile per gallon at cruise makes for expensive fill ups. A boat is a really silly purchase up north, just like a swimming pool - you’re lucky to get six months use out of it every year - I mainly sit at the dock and just relax - but I tell people it’s still cheaper than a psychiatrist! I’ll definitely use mine this year but like I said, I’ll just adjust how I use it to make up for the higher costs. It’s crazy because a lot of people bought boats last year and they’re going to be in for rude awakening this year.