Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-26-2024, 07:17 AM   #15
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
You don't install headers without a tune, regardless of what anyone tells you.

You can and will break things that way. And yes headers will void the warranty, especially when things start to break after 1-3 months.

So I would say no, not worth it in your case.

^ Best advice

Cat backs do not void warranties, no tune required and nothing breaks, unless you live in California, then just breaking-wind after eating taco bell is illegal.
Okay so what could break and why? Its ridiculous the misinformation in this forum.
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:30 AM   #16
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShark View Post
Is it worth installing a set of headers just for the sound factor? Not interested in doing a tune before my warranty ends, or at any time, for that matter. If so, would the headers void the warranty?
It is worth installing headers with an appropriate tune for both sound and performance. Don't do one without the other.

As for the warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. These cars are very reliable and there are some dealerships that don't suck and are okay with some mods.

For example, my 2017 SS has Kooks headers and a tune. I had a CEL for the transmission one day. Turns out there is a TSB for 2017's and an updated software for the transmission to fix the problem. Took my car to a dealership for the fix. They asked me about the headers and tune but did not give me any hassle. They confirmed the problem and did the software update and it was covered under the warranty.

But if you are concerned about keeping your warranty, then you have to leave the car stock. And your only option for more sound is a cat back exhaust.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:52 AM   #17
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
It is worth installing headers with an appropriate tune for both sound and performance. Don't do one without the other.

As for the warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. These cars are very reliable and there are some dealerships that don't suck and are okay with some mods.

For example, my 2017 SS has Kooks headers and a tune. I had a CEL for the transmission one day. Turns out there is a TSB for 2017's and an updated software for the transmission to fix the problem. Took my car to a dealership for the fix. They asked me about the headers and tune but did not give me any hassle. They confirmed the problem and did the software update and it was covered under the warranty.

But if you are concerned about keeping your warranty, then you have to leave the car stock. And your only option for more sound is a cat back exhaust.
You're absolutely right about some dealerships willing to look past the tune. I found a good dealership close to my house and they seem to be very flexible based on my conversations with my advisor. They've probably come to the realization that many of us mod and tune these cars, that's part of the fun of owning one. Definitely giving it a lot of consideration. For me personally, I'd be content with just the headers and a modest tune. Not very concerned about the performance gains, it's more about the sound factor
SSShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:59 AM   #18
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briland_1LE View Post
I had the secondary cats removed and its still legal in most stayes like that and it sounds like 20% louder I like it.

You can install headers without a tune its not going to hurt anything. The engine will run with the stock logic. You just won’t make the power you could with a tune. Unplug the battery to force a relearn of fuel trims and idle etc.
Thanks for your reply Briland_1LE. Your logic makes sense to me, but I'm a newb to this sort of thing, so now I'm really confused
Old 01-26-2024, 10:24 AM   #19
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
If you are just interested in a little more exhaust growl just do an axle back exhaust no tune required and keep your warranty. Also it's the least expensive.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:42 AM   #20
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
If you are just interested in a little more exhaust growl just do an axle back exhaust no tune required and keep your warranty. Also it's the least expensive.
Definitely an option, but I'm thinking that the header option will have that definitively distinct sound that I'm looking for. There are plenty axle back vids out there but I can't seem to find a YouTube vid from someone with the stock NPP/header combo.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:24 AM   #21
Summit20171SS

Drives: 2017 1SS M6
I added a Corsa Extreme catback exhaust and I can tell you it's crazy louder than the stock NNP I had, I absolutely love it! I can't wait to eventually get Kooks Headers and a tune down the road. I just keep getting this annoying P0735 CEL and it saying that its an incorrect 5th gear ratio

~ Air Raid Cold Air Intake~ ~ 3" Corsa Extreme Catback Exhaust ~
Summit20171SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 11:37 AM   #22
david_acm

Drives: LT1
Here's a video with longtube headers, no cats, and NPP.
https://youtu.be/44_-xjxvMhY

FWIW, when I was doing research for an exhaust setup I wasn't at all content with the YouTube sound clips. They sound great but there are certain nuances, for example like how loud they are, that you can only hear in person.

What I ended up doing was joining the SofloCamaro guys out for a few rallies to get an idea what different mods sound like.
david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 01:02 PM   #23
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit20171SS View Post
I added a Corsa Extreme catback exhaust and I can tell you it's crazy louder than the stock NNP I had, I absolutely love it! I can't wait to eventually get Kooks Headers and a tune down the road. I just keep getting this annoying P0735 CEL and it saying that its an incorrect 5th gear ratio
I've heard the Corsa Extreme, best sounding axle back in my opinion. My only dislike, if I recall, is that it is not NPP/quad tip. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_acm View Post

FWIW, when I was doing research for an exhaust setup I wasn't at all content with the YouTube sound clips. They sound great but there are certain nuances, for example like how loud they are, that you can only hear in person.

What I ended up doing was joining the SofloCamaro guys out for a few rallies to get an idea what different mods sound like.
Hey David, thanks for the vid brother! Where does SofloCamaro usually get together?
Old 01-26-2024, 01:52 PM   #24
SSShark

Quote:

I can definitely hear the difference with the headers, especially at idle. That's what I've been looking for, thanks again David
Old 01-26-2024, 02:16 PM   #25
david_acm

Drives: LT1
No problem! Their most recent rally was from the Snapper Creek Plaza in Miami (on the Turnpike) up to the Dania Beach Pier.

The Corsa exhausts have valved variations that do retain NPP functionality + Quad tips. A few guys have those and I was legitimately impressed at how loud (and quiet) they can get.
david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:22 PM   #26
SSShark

Quote:
No problem! Their most recent rally was from the Snapper Creek Plaza in Miami (on the Turnpike) up to the Dania Beach Pier.

The Corsa exhausts have valved variations that do retain NPP functionality + Quad tips. A few guys have those and I was legitimately impressed at how loud (and quiet) they can get.
Awesome, I'll check their website.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:22 PM   #27
Summit20171SS

Drives: 2017 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShark View Post
I've heard the Corsa Extreme, best sounding axle back in my opinion. My only dislike, if I recall, is that it is not NPP/quad tip. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey David, thanks for the vid brother! Where does SofloCamaro usually get together?
It most definitely is quad tip! Thats the one Im currently running

~ Air Raid Cold Air Intake~ ~ 3" Corsa Extreme Catback Exhaust ~
Summit20171SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:55 PM   #28
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit20171SS View Post
It most definitely is quad tip! Thats the one Im currently running
Looks like the make both versions.
Attached Images