Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #15
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
You will probably need resonators I had to add them to mine to tone it down but that all depends on what you want
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #16
DFW_Muscle

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSB View Post
I have TSP headers with resonators behind the stock suitcase and 4 inch black tips. Sounds great. Without the resonators it was very raspy and sounded like crap.
Would you mind sharing pics of tips / resonators from under the car? Where did you source the tips from?
DFW_Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:48 PM   #17
2023ZL1
BLACK 2019 ZL1

Drives: 2007 COBALT, 2019 CAMARO ZL1
I run the CSP version 1 headers made by SW into a catless set up with a 3" MBRP race catback which has 2 closed j-pipe style resonators (worked great before the headers) located before the tips. CSP Headers are amazing and I have no complaints, and I used stage8 locking hardware with GM factory gaskets. Love the exhaust note at idle and at certain rpm's but at WOT it gets loud, another issues is high gear low rpm acceleration does drone. I've thought about adding straight through mufflers or 22"-24" resonators to get rid of the remaining drone frequencies, if it gets quieter by a bit than great but I don't want to lose that raw sound at idle.

I know the thread is a few years old but maybe this thread could be revived lol.
2023ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 01:35 PM   #18
Tje66

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss procharged
I went catless with the stock suitcase and 2 inch headers. For smell I went to full E85. No complaints here. Love it.
Tje66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:31 AM   #19
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
As 2023ZL1 mentioned above, The CPS long tube headers by Stainless Works are great and were easy to install by myself! I went ultra high flow CATs as well that CSP recommended. Additionally, I went with the Corsa Xtreme NPP axle back and got rid of the stock suite case. At the same time I replaced the reset of the stock exhaust (x-pipe etc.) with full 3" Street Engineering stainless. That took quite a bit of massaging, but I got it done. After it was all said and done, the sound of my car at idle was awesome! But at RPM / WOT and just cruising around in manual shift mode, I disliked the hollow/tin can sound my exhaust had. After a while, I went back to the stock X-Pipe (that was a pain) and still with the Corsa Xtreme NPP, it sounded better but still had that raspy tin can sound. I then replaced the Corsa Xtreme NPP with Stainless Works Legend NPP (Classic). I now really love the way my exhaust sounds. At RMP and WOT it sounds great, still loud but much deeper sounding and reminds me more of a classic muscle car tone. I do have slight droning on free-way at 65/70 if I'm in full automatic mode and RPMs are under 2000. But if I'm in manual mode and keep RPMs right at 2000 or more its good and no droning. The funny thing is, now my idle doesn't sound as good, it's much quieter at idle than the Corsa Xtreme was. If I could have the sound of the Corsa idle and the rest Stainless Works that would be perfect! I guess you I can't have cake and eat it too!!! Still not 100% sure why I selected 2" headers I'll never have high horse power with my setup, and I wonder if that has something to do with the over all reason I thought the Corsa Xtreme sounds too raspy/tin can'ish?
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 01:57 PM   #20
driftking123

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023_ZL1-AUTO View Post
As 2023ZL1 mentioned above, The CPS long tube headers by Stainless Works are great and were easy to install by myself! I went ultra high flow CATs as well that CSP recommended. Additionally, I went with the Corsa Xtreme NPP axle back and got rid of the stock suite case. At the same time I replaced the reset of the stock exhaust (x-pipe etc.) with full 3" Street Engineering stainless. That took quite a bit of massaging, but I got it done. After it was all said and done, the sound of my car at idle was awesome! But at RPM / WOT and just cruising around in manual shift mode, I disliked the hollow/tin can sound my exhaust had. After a while, I went back to the stock X-Pipe (that was a pain) and still with the Corsa Xtreme NPP, it sounded better but still had that raspy tin can sound. I then replaced the Corsa Xtreme NPP with Stainless Works Legend NPP (Classic). I now really love the way my exhaust sounds. At RMP and WOT it sounds great, still loud but much deeper sounding and reminds me more of a classic muscle car tone. I do have slight droning on free-way at 65/70 if I'm in full automatic mode and RPMs are under 2000. But if I'm in manual mode and keep RPMs right at 2000 or more its good and no droning. The funny thing is, now my idle doesn't sound as good, it's much quieter at idle than the Corsa Xtreme was. If I could have the sound of the Corsa idle and the rest Stainless Works that would be perfect! I guess you I can't have cake and eat it too!!! Still not 100% sure why I selected 2" headers I'll never have high horse power with my setup, and I wonder if that has something to do with the over all reason I thought the Corsa Xtreme sounds too raspy/tin can'ish?
Hey, with you going back to your stock x-pipe, did it affect your performance at all? I just installed stainless power headers. But the shop could not install the cats with the 3 inch speed engineering x-pipe I put on earlier this year. I also just had Mayhem motorsports near me tune it and it is running GREAT.

I'm considering putting the stock x-pipe back on which will allow me to put on the cats that came with the headers. But the tune was 800 dollars and I don't want to mess up the tune with putting the stock cat back exhaust on.

I made 452hp and 471 torque. Nothing compared to you, but I have only spent about 1700 for headers/flex fuel/LT2 intake and ported TB. Plus the 800 for the tune. Unfortunately I don't have a base line. But going off the stock number with a 15% decrease from crank to wheels, I gained about 65 with those mods. I just don't want to mess up the progress with the tune I just got.
driftking123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:21 AM   #21
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking123 View Post
Hey, with you going back to your stock x-pipe, did it affect your performance at all? I just installed stainless power headers. But the shop could not install the cats with the 3 inch speed engineering x-pipe I put on earlier this year. I also just had Mayhem motorsports near me tune it and it is running GREAT.

I'm considering putting the stock x-pipe back on which will allow me to put on the cats that came with the headers. But the tune was 800 dollars and I don't want to mess up the tune with putting the stock cat back exhaust on.

I made 452hp and 471 torque. Nothing compared to you, but I have only spent about 1700 for headers/flex fuel/LT2 intake and ported TB. Plus the 800 for the tune. Unfortunately I don't have a base line. But going off the stock number with a 15% decrease from crank to wheels, I gained about 65 with those mods. I just don't want to mess up the progress with the tune I just got.
I honestly couldn't tell any difference in power at all when I went back to the stock X-Pipe. The only thing I did notice was everything fit better and my exhaust leaks were gone! But, the power my ZL1 makes for just having all bolt on mods, I think it should make some good numbers on a Dyno. I will be sending my SC to Kong soon for porting (not X-port) and will swap my current throttle body from a 100mm Soler for a 103 NW. Then reach out to Ted Sr. at Jannetty Racing for a re-tune and get a dyno before spring time !
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:42 PM   #22
humblemoto

Drives: '22 ZL1 1LE 6MT
My observations are volume/tone get confused quickly. I believe people are less sensitive to high volume when frequencies are more pleasant. Any sound that is grating or unwanted will aggravate a person quickly, and a loud unwanted sound will aggravate more quickly.

My mental model is attributing the exhaust components by their influence to "volume" vs "tone" to try and engineer the ideal sounding system for me. (assuming performance goals are met)

Headers (Longtubes) remove significant restriction allowing more efficient energy conduction through the system and will have a tremendous effect on volume, less so on tone.

Catalytic Converters add restriction and therefore have a large impact on volume and less so on tone.

Midpipe configuration straight/X/H/Y/etc have a large impact on tone and less on volume.

Mufflers have the largest effect on tone and volume.

Placement, material type, material thickness, structural mounting, and shape have a less significant impact on tone and volume than if the above components are present or not.

I've always thought of the header/cat as the largest power performance indicators with mid pipe configuration and muffler as auditory preference devices.

Currently running 2' longtubes into 3'' straight mid pipes to factory NPP system. The volume is "loud" by my friends and families preference but not unbearable. Being catless, having no X pipe, and a ridiculous crimp in the factory NPP intake piping have a raspiness I dislike.

I'll be adding a cat which will reduce some flow bringing volume down and causing a significant decrease in exhaust energy post cat which will slightly impact tone.
I'll be adding an X-pipe which should blend the exhaust pulses together causing a perceived "refinement" to tone and minimal impact to volume.
I'll be switching to a Corse NPP which will remove the silly flat top crimp in the factory NPP intake pipe reducing raspy metallic tones because flat metal is more likely to reverberate. It's also generally higher flowing causing an increase in volume and a lowering in tone.

Net/Net I should come out the same in volume but an improve by reducing metallic raspiness and refining and deepening the tone.

I'll try and record some higher quality audio samples this winter before the exhaust work is done for before and afters.
humblemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:55 PM   #23
Jeauxy

Drives: 19' SW ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by headgamez View Post
Not meaning to hijack, but i am thinking of purchasing the CSP headers. What do you think of the quality in person??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Have them on my ZL1 and the build quality of them is great. Easy to install on a lift! I would suggest getting them jet hot coated. CSP offers it at time of purchase.

I put solid motor mounts on at the same time too while I was under it. So knock that out if you plan to also!

Past:
- 02' SS Procharged (stolen)
- 01' Z28 (sold)

Jeauxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:37 AM   #24
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
My setup with cats at cold start.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-SbXr...u.be#searching
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:36 AM   #25
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Sounds sweet.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 02:07 PM   #26
IndyZrider

Drives: 21 SHOCK ZL1 M6
Quote:
your awe touring exhaust has mufflers?
IndyZrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 02:13 PM   #27
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyZrider View Post
your awe touring exhaust has mufflers?
Mufflers only, rest is ARH 2" headers into Gesi high flow cats and 3" long pipes.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:13 PM   #28
humblemoto

Drives: '22 ZL1 1LE 6MT
Quote:
That chop is perfect.

Are the mid pipes straight/X/H?

Does it have any of that metallic tinny resonance anywhere in the range? Would love to hear some revs of that thing!
humblemoto is offline   Reply With Quote