Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #15
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6CamJK View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the battery tenders are doing in the batteries.
Not all "battery tenders" are battery tenders. And not all of them are correct for the chemistry of the battery.

I use the Camaro one that came with the car. It works really well, and have used it on my Camaro, a late model Silverado and on some early model cars. Works MINT.

I have found, that some battery tenders are trickle chargers or just a low amp battery charger without cut off.

Get a good one. If you know a Electronics tech or engineer ask him or her about this if you are not sure.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #16
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Ok, so it wasn’t a hot soak/starter issue. Happened again whe it was stone cold. Stranded my wife and daughter at 10:30 at night. 🙁
Put jumper cables on and by the time I walked around the car to get in it started.
So, as a plan B, anyone have a recommendation for a superior quality replacement battery?
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:34 PM   #17
wwiiavfan

Oh and by the way my tender I used over the winter is definitely a smart tender, not a trickle charger.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:14 AM   #18
CT ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Ok, so it wasn’t a hot soak/starter issue. Happened again whe it was stone cold. Stranded my wife and daughter at 10:30 at night. 🙁
Put jumper cables on and by the time I walked around the car to get in it started.
So, as a plan B, anyone have a recommendation for a superior quality replacement battery?
Go online Advance auto parts get the AGM battery they will give u a coupon for 20% off after core charge the battery will be about $150 buy it u can either have it shipped directly to your home or go down to the store and they will install it for u. Its warranteed for 3 years but I have cars and trucks that the batteries have been in for 6 years plus some vehicles I only use for winter months so they sit most of year no tender on them and they still start right away

Past Rides
13 Porsche 911 4S
17 BMW M4
16 Shelby GT 350
07 Saleen Mustang
02 M3 Comp Pack
79 Corvette
CT ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #19
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
Quote:
So the dealer took a look at it today. Checked the battery, alternator, all checked out good. I asked if a battery can be bad and still test out good. He said yes but very rare. Seems they can’t replace the battery unless it tests bad on the GM tester?
I hate when you have an intermittent issue that can’t be explained. 😡
I bought a battery from the auto parts store once and after about a year had issues with it not holding a charge, etc. at times and took it in to them. They did a bench test, told me that my alternator must be going bad, because it was not the battery. I just dealt with it for a few more months, because it didn't seem like the alternator since I could drive it at night and my lights were always bright. Finally gave in and just replaced the battery and that solved all of my issues. I don't think their bench testing of batteries is always accurate and because they are out the replacement cost if it's not testing bad, they won't give an inch in most cases. It sucks, but the cost of that new battery was worth my sanity at the time...
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #20
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
battery s/b warrantied at dealer. Bad cell in the battery....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #21
IH8WNTR

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Could just be a bad connection as to why the batt. died and will nolonger charge.
I think it may be this also. Try removing and reconnecting your terminals to confirm good contacts. Then check the connection to your starter and the chassis ground.
IH8WNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:04 AM   #22
wwiiavfan

Dealer was stumped, but said everything points to a bad battery, so they replaced it, and the issue hasn’t returned. Since the battery was replaced, I noticed the gauge drops down to a little over 12v for long periods then goes up to 13.5-14v for short periods. Before the battery swap it would run above 14v constantly.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #23
avalonandl

Quote:
Dealer was stumped, but said everything points to a bad battery, so they replaced it, and the issue hasn’t returned. Since the battery was replaced, I noticed the gauge drops down to a little over 12v for long periods then goes up to 13.5-14v for short periods. Before the battery swap it would run above 14v constantly.
Actually thats normal. Its called variable charging.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #24
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Everybody seems to jump to the starter as the problem. 9 out of 10 times, it's the battery.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #25
avalonandl

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Everybody seems to jump to the starter as the problem. 9 out of 10 times, it's the battery.
Yeah, I told him was prob/ a bad cell in the battery. If his alternator was constantly reading 14v that means it was trying to charge the battery which wouldnt hold a charge....

Old 05-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #26
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Quote:
17 1SS, 7,000 miles. 83 degrees here today. Never had even a hint of this issue before. After a short drive, car sits for 2 hours. Go to start, nothing but starter clicks and wild light show. Battery low message on dash. Put charger on for maybe 5 minutes, fires off like nothing is wrong. Gauge starts off around 13 volts, climbs to about 14.5 and fluctuates about .5 volt while running. Shut it off, and put my charger on but now it won’t take a charge. Put battery tender on and within a minute it says fully charged. Weird.
I’m thinking the battery is toast. I stored it in an in un heated garage this winter but I had a battery tender on the entire time, and it lit off immediately coming out of storage.
I had this problem some time last year. They changed my battery saying it was a bad cell.
That wasn’t the problem. Bad starter. That’s what happens a lot times too, especially hot days
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #27
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6CamJK View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the battery tenders are doing in the batteries. I parked my car outside all winter in the carport in early October. Granted Texas, not Wisconsin. Did not even start it for almost five months. No battery tender, nothing. I just ignored it for five months. This past Friday it started first try. Took it to wash it and put air in the tires. ( down to 26 psi). Took it home. Maybe a mile total driving after five months. Drove it to work the past four days with never an issue. Oil life was 87% when I parked it. 13% when I first started Friday and Zero when I went to work Saturday night. Just got home from the dealer from my 2nd free oil change ( that would have expired in 8 days) I think people are inducing problems by OVER maintaining the vehicle.

Yes it is a nice car. The nicest I've ever owned! But it is still just a car, not the space shuttle.
You maybe right my neighbor has his Camaro sit outside all winter no battery tender , nothing just sits there. Pretty sure he has no problems
NYJets12 is offline   Reply With Quote