Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-13-2023, 07:06 PM   #1
jesse121pm

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss 45th anniversary
Axles

So I am in need of axles not orileys ones like the ones I have, I am not looking to spend the $1800 on axles from geforce right now. So I have found a couple options on ebay, I found a pair of OEM axles for $170 off of a camaro with 65k miles and I found one left one for $130 that the car was at 16k miles. Which one would you go with. Mind you I have a passanger oem axle thats only has about 10k miles on it, my left axle that always breaks is an orileys axle so i really only need the left one. But I just thought I'd ask. The car i have right now also has 105k miles if that matters, it has a new oem diff and new drivers side axle. its a manual 2ss 2012 also
jesse121pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:55 PM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I'm going to bore you with a story that probably won't be much help. But hang in here. Back in the 80's, when Front WD came out, I worked in the REAR wheel driveshaft business. (still do) We all thought we'd better get on board with the FWD world before we got left behind. BIG names like Dana (Spicer) got snookered by this new, emerging product/market. Dana built a new plant in Mexico to furnish quality, NEW parts.

When we would rebuild a CV axle we did it right. New components - outer/inner housings, new balls, new cages and the best boots, etc. They weren't cheap but they reasonable and made well.

Fast fwd a few short years. All the mass rebuilders figured out how to do all the cheap short cuts, build junk and forced us 'quality' rebuilders out of the whored up market. They became the bad rebuilt starter and alternator business. RIP good axles.

EXCEPT...there are still a few good, conscientious rebuilders of these kinds of axles out there. And good replacement parts are still available, though not available to the end user, that I know of. But might be wrong. If you can find the components, they are simple to rebuild. They won't be cheap, but if you do some looking around, you should find some. And they should be less than the inflated G-Force axles. I wish I could point you to a shop, but as I mentioned, all my people got out when most of these things turned into O'Reilly's $49.95 JUNK! Maybe look locally at a driveline or transmission rebuild shop. That's who used to do it.

Maybe try this directory here: http://www.rockfordcv.com/rcvexpstates.htm

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 11-14-2023 at 07:29 AM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:10 PM   #3
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I really want to upgrade my axles to DSS axles to match my driveshaft, but Alot of people say the axles are junk, complain about clicking noises, etc... I really just want the upgrade done for piece of mind and future upgrades. They used to have lower hp applications available but now they just have the big hp axles with the hefty price.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:36 PM   #4
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Yeah, I rather not spent $1800 on a set of Axles and then have a bunch of problem.
So the G-force are Junk or the DSS? I'm thinking of the G-force Axles and the 1 piece driveshaft from QA1
Old 11-13-2023, 11:15 PM   #5
jesse121pm

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel67 View Post
Yeah, I rather not spent $1800 on a set of Axles and then have a bunch of problem.
So the G-force are Junk or the DSS? I'm thinking of the G-force Axles and the 1 piece driveshaft from QA1
DSS Aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft will not break trust me. The axles I have seen break many times, everyone tells me geforce
jesse121pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:22 PM   #6
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse121pm View Post
DSS Aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft will not break trust me. The axles I have seen break many times, everyone tells me geforce
Copy that
Old 11-14-2023, 07:34 AM   #7
Moto-Mojo

I don't know a great deal about G Force but I'd suspect they simply do what we used to do - use GOOD components, match ball-to-groove sizes and replace old cages and housings with new. Then they call it 'high perf.' The clicking and early failures are simply from reusing worn crap in the rebuild process.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:08 AM   #8
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
I am on my 2nd set of DSS axles. 1st set lasted about 30k before showing wear and then a clicking noise. They did not break but did wear out. They made some changes to the design which is supposed to help with them lasting longer.

I am pretty aggressive with the car and use it occasionally at the strip with slicks.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:05 AM   #9
Moto-Mojo

The mass rebuilders, who make an attempt to do things right, regrind the grooves in the housings. This increases their size and you're supposed to match up larger balls to the new grooves. Some do, some don't. Many times too, they grind through the case hardening. Obviously, this shortens their life.

If you were standing on the bench surrounded by all the components, you could probably mix-and-match yourself the perfect axle. But obviously, they don't pay people minimum wage to stand around and do this to sell for them $49.95!

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 11-14-2023 at 09:25 AM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 10:17 AM   #10
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Buy once cry once. Just buy Gforce or DSS axles. They both have their own issues, so don't let people convince you that gforce is perfect or vice-versa. I've had to send my DSS axles in for repair once. I've had to replace boots on them as well as they crack with age. Just to be expected as I've had them for almost 10 years.
I have the 1000hp ones that they don't make anymore like someone above mentioned.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:40 AM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
I have this drive shaft and Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings and man what a difference it made in my Camaro's rear end tightness and performance!! A little more NVH, but that's to be expected, but I can't really hear it over my Corsa exhaust.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #12
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
DSS Aluminum driveshaft will not break trust me.
Don't be so sure of that.

I run GForce Outlaws ever since I twisted the splined end right off a ZL1 outer. Very happy with their work and service. They also make the 9310 input shafts that go into RMP level 7 TR6060s, but they only sell to RPM.

OP, I've spent a lot of time on the web trying to source axle parts with no luck, but unlike when I was growing up around 4x4s, there don't seem to be any driveline shops that want to repair or upgrade an axle. If you find any place to get parts, please update the thread.

The only thing I know of that is between stock SS and GForce/DSS is the factory z28 and 1LE units. I run 1LEs on the vert and probably paid about 200 used. Sometimes you see them on eBay as SS axles because salvage yards don't realize they are 1LE axles. Some guys have been able to get their hands on Z28 axles lately, but they are about $400 ea. Externally, they look identical to the 1LE units. I even sold a set years ago for a couple hundred that I wish I had back. The difference between them and the SS seems to be the outer CV. I even compared the ZL1 outers with the 1LE, but they don't interchange.

What part of your left axle broke? I have a left axle that has everything but the CV boot which went to repair the afore mentioned salvage yard 1LE axle. They are easy to disassemble and shipping one end would be fairly cheap compared to an entire axle.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.

Last edited by CamaroCracka; 11-14-2023 at 01:52 PM.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:04 PM   #13
Moto-Mojo

I'm going to get you boys some references. I know too many people to think that the only place to get a decent product is from DSS.

Stand by...
Old 11-15-2023, 08:39 AM   #14
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
I bought a pair of low mileage, used axles from Hawks Motorsports. I tried an aftermarket axle from RockAuto, but it wouldn't stay engaged in the differential.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote