Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #155
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Gotta love random angry internet guy!
Not angry. How would one even get angry over words on the internet? Grow up son.

Just trying to understand your headache of a post.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #156
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
Not angry. How would one even get angry over words on the internet? Grow up son.

Just trying to understand your headache of a post.
I wasn't talking about you. I liked/appreciated/agreed with your post to the random angry guy. Hope that clears it up...............
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:50 AM   #157
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I wasn't talking about you. I liked/appreciated/agreed with your post to the random angry guy. Hope that clears it up...............
Sorry, I'm not fully awake yet. My apologies. Just replace your ID with his.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:57 AM   #158
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
Sorry, I'm not fully awake yet. My apologies. Just replace your ID with his.
No prob, I did make it a bit confusing.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:28 PM   #159
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
...and I thought about deleting random angry internet guys post, but left it alone.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:16 AM   #160
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanestunts View Post
I work as a stunt performer in the film industry. Removing the fuse, will not disable the airbags. The airbags must be removed.. They use a built in capacitor in the system, in case the car has an electrical failure prior to crashing.

I have had two separate crashes (intential), where I was promised that the airbags were disabled, or removed (by SPFX or transport dept), and yet had them go off.
Wow I would never guess that. I wonder if replacing the seats would disable the system or thers is any other work around? I really hope I don't need to disconnect/connect the curtain airbags (manually) before and after each event :/
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #161
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Wow I would never guess that. I wonder if replacing the seats would disable the system or thers is any other work around? I really hope I don't need to disconnect/connect the curtain airbags (manually) before and after each event :/
I would suspect that removing the plug at the ABS module after disconnecting power for 15-30 minutes would prevent it. Although if the fuse powers the module that should work also.

However you do have to let the capacitors time to die. If you just pull the fuse and hit something the bags will go off for sure.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #162
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I would suspect that removing the plug at the ABS module after disconnecting power for 15-30 minutes would prevent it. Although if the fuse powers the module that should work also.

However you do have to let the capacitors time to die. If you just pull the fuse and hit something the bags will go off for sure.
Makes sense, it's very easy to do. I can just do that early in the morning for track day then wait. I wonder if that's the reason why they still went off at those stunts (intentional accidents). Maybe if they let enough time for capacitors, they would've gotten deactivated I think. After all fuse pull should disconnect the electric but I am not sure whether or not capacitors hold enough power to trigger them even after pulling the fuse.

I also had to pay for my curtain airbags and it was ridiculous also, I ran off track didn't hit anything but they still went off. Very expensive for a small mistake (which could happen anytime).
Old 01-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #163
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Makes sense, it's very easy to do. I can just do that early in the morning for track day then wait. I wonder if that's the reason why they still went off at those stunts (intentional accidents). Maybe if they let enough time for capacitors, they would've gotten deactivated I think. After all fuse pull should disconnect the electric but I am not sure whether or not capacitors hold enough power to trigger them even after pulling the fuse.

I also had to pay for my curtain airbags and it was ridiculous also, I ran off track didn't hit anything but they still went off. Very expensive for a small mistake (which could happen anytime).
Yeah it's just a risk we take. We can disable the bags (removal, unplugging, etc) and risk not having them when we need them (less of a risk in a caged, harnessed, fixed-back bucket seat car...) or keep them for when we need them and risk the big repair bill if the system thinks a collision is about to happen.

So far I haven't had them go off (knock on wood) and have hit some curbing pretty aggressively... and gone past some curbing equally aggressively..
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #164
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Yeah it's just a risk we take. We can disable the bags (removal, unplugging, etc) and risk not having them when we need them (less of a risk in a caged, harnessed, fixed-back bucket seat car...) or keep them for when we need them and risk the big repair bill if the system thinks a collision is about to happen.

So far I haven't had them go off (knock on wood) and have hit some curbing pretty aggressively... and gone past some curbing equally aggressively..
It's a ticking bomb with its oversensitive g sensor, IMO
I personally feel fine with full face helmet, Hans device, harness bar and bucket seats and most of the cars I tracked with didn't even come with curtain airbags to begin with. Since it doesn't provide structural improvement at the track, other than the street use, I Don't see any advantage for keeping it active for myself. That's just me of course