The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #799
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Also, we're going to need video (from outside the car), timeslips, and 3 firsthand witnesses that the GT500 ran an 11.5. If you can't, or if anything's fishy, we toss all claims out and get to claim the GT500 runs the quarter in 14.5.

Seriously, how do you guys take 11.5 as gospel with as much cross-examination as you've given almost every good ZL1 quarter time? And no, you don't get to claim "Physics!"
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #800
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Also, we're going to need video (from outside the car), timeslips, and 3 firsthand witnesses that the GT500 ran an 11.5. If you can't, or if anything's fishy, we toss all claims out and get to claim the GT500 runs the quarter in 14.5.

Seriously, how do you guys take 11.5 as gospel with as much cross-examination as you've given almost every good ZL1 quarter time? And no, you don't get to claim "Physics!"
Theres still a big controversy going on with the zl1 and its reported 11.9 Time. if the 11.9 time can be accepted then I dont see how the 11.5 run for the gt500 can't be accepted. Or wwe can just throw both of those out the window and look at theAverage trap speeds these cars are getting 125mph vs 116mph and discuss from there.
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #801
MauriSSio
Banned

Quote:

its hard to win an argument against physics imho but you can try
Old 05-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #802
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
Theres still a big controversy going on with the zl1 and its reported 11.9 Time. if the 11.9 time can be accepted then I dont see how the 11.5 run for the gt500 can't be accepted. Or wwe can just throw both of those out the window and look at theAverage trap speeds these cars are getting 125mph vs 116mph and discuss from there.
Or you could get us some timeslips and video.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #803
MauriSSio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
I agree here too! Not saying that the Shelby can't run a 11.5 in fact with those trap speeds I know it can. That being said if 11.5 was something you could easily achieve Ford would have posted 11.5 1/4 mile to press long before now. Does Ford have any printed material you get with the car or for marketing with manufacturing specs? Most cars have in their brochures what their 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times are??
Thats what I like about ford. It was a very classy move to start delivering cars to customers without starting a huge media campaign and throwing out numbers and saying how it will crush the competition. Instead they realeased the car with humble ness and class and let the car and its performance speak for itself. Kinda like when a pro scores a touchdown and doesnt ruin it by doing stupid celebration dances, nope, svt scored this touchdown and acted like they've been there before and have done it all their lives, congrats svt!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #804
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
its hard to win an argument against physics imho but you can try
According to physics, both cars are faster than they've been run so far. So where does that excuse leave us?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #805
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Funny thing this new Shelby. I may drive a Mustang now but my last 5 cars were all BMWs and I cross shopped Camaros and Mustangs before deciding on the Boss. Never drawn to a Shelby before but if the ZL1 caught my interest, this new GT500 has me absolutely mesmerized. Maybe it's the numbers, maybe it's that it's the last Shelby era Shelby but I think it's just the cool grill free front end. Very AC Cobra like.
Not sure I agree what that. The mustang, including the shelby, is in dire need of a visual redesign. It's just too dull looking. But it's more than just visual. The zl1 is fast as hell sure. But one key item that sold me on the zl1 was the superior suspension and handling.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #806
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I will use the time put down by Evan as the GT500s benchmark. If 11:80s is all he could muster I doubt many owners will better that number on stock rubber. Also all this mph talk is just that talk, If i beat a 500 running 116 mph to his 124, it doesn't matter I won. The average Joes will run low 12s to high 11s with the car at the local strips.
I`m looking forward to taking some of these guys lunch money...Their faces will be priceless!
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #807
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPT BANDIT View Post
Do you know how silly that sounds? I can put "fill in the blank" on my car and run with a stock car. If that's the case, everyone would just buy a base model car and throw mods on it. There is no need to buy a zr1 or a gt500. Why buy a Z06 when the base model will do the same.
^^^This^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khell View Post
Remember that all the runs were also done with LC and hotlapped quite extensively. Evan stated that his car had 35 passes on it before he got a chance to take it out. They were all requried to use to LC to show what it is capable of. When they get to test them by themselves with no nannies we'll see those numbers drop. The 13 GT500 has trapped as high as 129 during testing.
^^^especially this^^^

Give Evan or a good driver a 13 Shelby that hasn't just been heat soaked to death with 30+ passes, and allowed to drive the car without the LC, mid to low 11's would be the norm... Look at those trap speeds for crying out loud... Mid to high 120's, for a bone stock car, is moving the f&ck out...

Look how much faster the ZL1 is without LC at the strip. Makes a big difference...

Also @ newmoon, all this talk about mph IS a big deal, and not just as you say "talk".

It's an indication of the HP to weight (which is incredible) and the amount of power this thing is putting to the ground. Which is a sh!t ton... Like more power to the wheels than the Z has at the crank kinda power.

You know what else a car with that kinda MPH means? Don't F%CK with it from a roll on the highway unless you want to be videotaped being raped by bus-lengths in your Z...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #808
SIRLOIN
Banned

Quote:
According to physics, both cars are faster than they've been run so far. So where does that excuse leave us?
That one is a whole lot faster than the other...
Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #809
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post
^^^This^^^

^^^especially this^^^

Give Evan or a good driver a 13 Shelby that hasn't just been heat soaked to death with 30+ passes, and allowed to drive the car without the LC, mid to low 11's would be the norm... Look at those trap speeds for crying out loud... Mid to high 120's, for a bone stock car, is moving the f&ck out...

Look how much faster the ZL1 is without LC at the strip. Makes a big difference...

Also @ newmoon, all this talk about mph IS a big deal, and not just as you say "talk".

It's an indication of the HP to weight (which is incredible) and the amount of power this thing is putting to the ground. Which is a sh!t ton... Like more power to the wheels than the Z has at the crank kinda power.

You know what else a car with that kinda MPH means? Don't F%CK with it from a roll on the highway unless you want to be videotaped being raped by bus-lengths in your Z...
One thing I don't get, if you have seen the photos from the event with Evan Smith, there were like 20 some Shelbys there. Why did they give him one that was heat soaked?
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #810
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Do you have any idea how many press representatives were there? They had one day at the dragstrip to let all of them drive the new Shelby down the strip. In all likelihood, I doubt any of the 20-30 cars they had at the event were motionless very long.

Last edited by tooslow; 05-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #811
SIRLOIN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
One thing I don't get, if you have seen the photos from the event with Evan Smith, there were like 20 some Shelbys there. Why did they give him one that was heat soaked?
From what i understand, alot of people were there doing alot of runs. Lots of people from magazines, press, Ford engineers...

It looked like they were using several different cars.

Just cause they had 20 some brand spankin new Shelby's there doesn't mean they had every one of them there to be ragged out beyond belief by some magazine drivers. Im sure most of them were there for photo's to be taken.

There even was a picture of a dent removal guy there, removing a dent from one of the cars.

I'm sure Ford has alot of money at there disposal, but i doubt they would approve 20+ brand new Shelby's to be ragged out on a press release.

They probably said here, take these 5 cars and use these for your runs at the press release. Not all 20 of them LOL...
Old 05-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #812
capnkirk52
Banned

Drives: 10 GT500, Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
well it is all relitive. when I priced out a GT500 it was 61,450 PP+TP. so 1k in that would put you put 62,450.
Don't need PP or TP to show the ZL-1 your taillights at the strip.
capnkirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote