Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Synergizer

Drives: 2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab
Question The first post of many...

How’s it going everyone? I have been loitering on the camaro5 forums for quite some time now, and for some reason, felt compelled to post today.

I am new to both the car world and the Camaro world, but have my heart set on a flat black SS… Speed won’t really be an issue as I have grown up on crotch rockets and dirtbikes so there is no worry there.

My life has taken a dramatic turn for the better over the last few years as I acquired a computer business and I see that I can actually afford an SS when they hit the streets.

The question is…

How long of a period should we expect for good aftermarket parts? I’m not talking a wing or anything like that (I will never turn my baby into a shopping cart). I’m looking for a cams, pistons, rods, head work, and the ultimate goal of twin turbos. I would like to mount a set of STS remote turbos (installed by someone other than STS – seriously, they will destroy any car they touch) but I don’t know if the LS3 can handle 8-10psi without some motor work first. Then comes everything from the bell housing back…

Thx,
Deric
Synergizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
welcome someone around here can help you
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
welcome to the boards bro. Thats a good question, I would not expect the wait to be too long cause the LS3 will have been out for a while when the camaro drops. you can check GM performance parts they might already have some parts.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
2kwik
So anxious.

Drives: Awaiting my 2010 SS
Seeing that the 'vettes already have the LS3 aftermarket parts going, I doubt it'll take that long for them to custom fit the parts for the new camaro.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
I was wondering the same, I have had problems with STS before too.. coincidently even so... i can't wait for this camaro...
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
forget the turbos...go with the pro-charger...$8,000 installed and you get 550+hp
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Blade SS

Drives: 04 chevy Impala
Welcome...this is a great site
Blade SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Expect about 6 months of testing, and then we'll start getting some quality parts.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Synergizer

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm still watching the Lingenfelter site to see what they come up with for the LS3. Nothing much as of now though...
Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergizer View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm still watching the Lingenfelter site to see what they come up with for the LS3. Nothing much as of now though...
Fbodfather said a lot of companies have contacted him about special and performance Camaros. We'll learn more as GM releases information. I'm sure we'll all be delighted with the options.

Also, remember that internals for the LS3 Camaro and the LS3 Corvette are the same. This is also true for the LLT since it is shared with the CTS. Expect some parts to be available really early for these motors, but don't expect them to be Camaro-specific. We'll have to look through Cadillac and Corvette sites to find some of these parts.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Synergizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Fbodfather said a lot of companies have contacted him about special and performance Camaros. We'll learn more as GM releases information. I'm sure we'll all be delighted with the options.

Also, remember that internals for the LS3 Camaro and the LS3 Corvette are the same. This is also true for the LLT since it is shared with the CTS. Expect some parts to be available really early for these motors, but don't expect them to be Camaro-specific. We'll have to look through Cadillac and Corvette sites to find some of these parts.
I have actually been on a few corvette forums doing research. Most of what I am finding is hit or miss on my ultimate goals for this car.

There are only two ways to make a car fast:
1. Throw money at it untill it has no other choice but to be fast.
2. Put money into the right places with well defined goals.

I would much rather choose choice number two.

Word on the net is that the LS3 is capable of 5-6psi with stock internals. The Vette's are running around 500-550hp under that compression. I would like to take it a little higher with a "Go Baby Go" switch. New pistons to drop the compression to about 9.5:1, injectors, fuel system, fuel pump, and intercooler.

There happens to be two Mustangs here in town who need to be put into check. I would love to be the one to do it to them...
Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #12
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergizer View Post
How’s it going everyone? I have been loitering on the camaro5 forums for quite some time now, and for some reason, felt compelled to post today.

I am new to both the car world and the Camaro world, but have my heart set on a flat black SS… Speed won’t really be an issue as I have grown up on crotch rockets and dirtbikes so there is no worry there.

My life has taken a dramatic turn for the better over the last few years as I acquired a computer business and I see that I can actually afford an SS when they hit the streets.

The question is…

How long of a period should we expect for good aftermarket parts? I’m not talking a wing or anything like that (I will never turn my baby into a shopping cart). I’m looking for a cams, pistons, rods, head work, and the ultimate goal of twin turbos. I would like to mount a set of STS remote turbos (installed by someone other than STS – seriously, they will destroy any car they touch) but I don’t know if the LS3 can handle 8-10psi without some motor work first. Then comes everything from the bell housing back…

Thx,
Deric
Well, the Camaro is to be the "official" car of the SEMA show in Las Vegas this November. SEMA is the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association. It's the most kickass trade show for automotive aftermarket. Check out the website for updates: http://www.sema.org/Main/StartPage.aspx
Rallysport is offline   Reply With Quote