Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
john3352
Ford Guy

Drives: Mustang GT, E320 4matic Sedan
Talking Interloper

OK, I'll admit it... the new up-coming Camaro is a hot unit... and I must say as a diehard Ford fan it actually looks like the Bowtie boys are actually going to put some real fear into the blue oval boys... then I read a GM posting that stated they were putting the Camaro convertible on hold... then then the financial fiasco happened... then I saw the upcoming 2010-GT500 (insanely wild-540bhp-510 Lb-ft of torque)... and the stick shift SRT-8 Challenger is coming... and now it looks like the Camarro has it's a unfair fight in front of it... Again I saw the Camarro-SS hitting the ring in Germany and posting some impressive numbers, but again time waits for no-one and competition strengthens the breed and makes the world go round.

I think the New Camaro is a hot piece and was really concidering a purchase all the hype was to intense and all the photo were hot.. and then on 1/2/2009I saw the 2010-GT500... and I'm really rethinking my options... Blue oval to the rescue again. Sorry guys!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
And the point of this thread is? I mean what kind of responses are you looking for? I love the Camaro like 99.9% of members on this site. I like the new gt 500, no wait I think like is the wrong word. I respect it.

Hey big man let me hold a dollar
Old 01-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Hey if you like the GT500 (and can afford it), then more power to ya... That leaves more Camaros for us!!! Good Luck in your blue oval endeavors.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave24v View Post
And the point of this thread is? I mean what kind of responses are you looking for? I love the Camaro like 99.9% of members on this site. I like the new gt 500, no wait I think like is the wrong word. I respect it.
I think the point is that he wants the best of the three and doesn't believe that the Camaro will still be the best.

While I respect your logic, I feel that the GT500 isn't in the same class as a Challenger SRT8, Mustang GT, or Camaro SS. It is simply impossible for a car that hasn't traditionally been a competitor of the SS platform to be seen on the same level. However, I completely understand that the GT500 is a superior Mustang and that it stands alone right now as a dominant car in that variety.

I'm not going to try to convince you, a Ford guy, to drive a Chevy. The fact that you considered it at all was enough for me to be proud of my decision. In any case, a Ford guy should drive a Ford, so this doesn't hurt my feelings. I hope you enjoy your GT500. Sometime, I hope one of us sees you at the track.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 01-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
:troll:

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
The GT500 is in a class of its own, wait until a Z28 pops up in years and then we can have a face off, Bow-Tie vs Blue Oval, but for now it will be the GT vs SS in which we know the SS will kill it, the 4.0 vs the 3.6DI which we would win, and to be honest, we should be comparing the SS to the Chally RT and not the SRT8 because its the more expensive top competitor (but we still would run against it), it shold be RT vs GT vs SS, and then SRT8 vs GT500 vs Z28 or ZL1.
Glad to hear from a die-hard ford fan that the Camaro was an option, if you have the pocket then by all means go for the GT500, just be afriad when you see a blown out SS pull up next to you as a sleeper and blow your doors off.
I like the fact that everyone has thier different interest, my brother had an 05 mustang, i have ordered my camaro, and my dad will be getting a Challenger RT in the next year, a ponycar-war in my driveway!
As long as its Domestic, im happy!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you can afford a GT500, then why settle for sloppy seconds when you can get a Corvette?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
If you can afford a GT500, then why settle for sloppy seconds when you can get a Corvette?
We need to look through the [demented] eyes of a Ford guy.

In all seriousness, the GT500 has a back seat and is the peak performer of the Mustang enthusiast. I think this decision makes sense for a Ford guy. If he were all about the top performer, he'd be saving up for a Viper ACR.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
We need to look through the [demented] eyes of a Ford guy.

In all seriousness, the GT500 has a back seat and is the peak performer of the Mustang enthusiast. I think this decision makes sense for a Ford guy. If he were all about the top performer, he'd be saving up for a Viper ACR.
That beats a ZR1?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
The_Blur

The Viper won on the Nurburgring, according to Autoblog.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
after checking out a challenger r/t yesterday, i gotta say i ain't impressed. i finally saw that infamous boring interior (even though the seats felt really comfortable & the side bolsters fit me perfectly). for the same price, i could get an SS that's a few hundred lbs lighter, has more power, looks much better inside & out, and sounds much better! (and that's comparing it to the sound from the youtube vids on here). just my .02
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
Old 01-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
There's only one thing to be said here, :tweetz:
Old 01-04-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3352 View Post
OK, I'll admit it... the new up-coming Camarro is a hot unit... and I must say as a diehard Ford fan it actually looks like the Bowtie boys are actually going to put some real fear into the blue oval boys... then I read a GM posting that stated they were putting the Camarro convertible on hold... then then the financial fiasco happened... then I saw the upcoming 2010-GT500 (insanely wild-540bhp-510 Lb-ft of torque)... and the stick shift SRT-8 Challenger is coming... and now it looks like the Camarro has it's a unfair fight in front of it... Again I saw the Camarro-SS hitting the ring in Germany and posting some impressive numbers, but again time waits for no-one and competition strengthens the breed and makes the world go round.

I think the New Camarro is a hot piece and was really concidering a purchase all the hype was to intense and all the photo were hot.. and then on 1/2/2009I saw the 2010-GT500... and I'm really rethinking my options... Blue oval to the rescue again. Sorry guys!
For the same price as a GT500 (GT540?) you could get an SS and a supercharger. As far as the manual SRT8, the manual SS should outperform it due to weight. Now, if its styling that is influencing you rather than price or performance, there isn't a whole lot that anyone could say.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 01-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #14
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
You beat me to it DG. I think some of the "my little pony" guys forget about the old rule -- there is no replacement for displacement.

The GT500 comes with a boosted 5.4 liter and a price tag of 10k over the SS. The SS comes with a 6.2 liter and for less than the delta in the price, you could easily bolt on a pro-charger and better the GT500 by 100 hp. Styling -- that's personal preference and there will never be a winning argument. That said, it will be very interesting to hear the overall non-enthusiast opinion when the 5th gens are prowling the streets.

Closed Thread