Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Looking for advice from the "paint" guys

So the other day I put in a nice scratch in my car door, about 2 inches long and as wide as a sharpe... and unless I pointed it out to you, you might not even notice it. The scratch took off the top coat and paint but did not get thru the primer. A self inflicted scratch.

I tried to repair it with some touchup paint and I totally rushed this and made a mess. While I did fill the scratch somewhat, I left a little paint on the topcoat.

Without making things worse, is there a way to remove the paint from the topcoat that would not hurt the top coat?? Something like goof off (although that did not work). Is there some chemical that will breakup the paint but not the top coat?

Even with the little over-paint, it's still not that noticeable but I would like to fix it if possible.

joe....
Old 09-18-2019, 12:48 AM   #2
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Google how to sand it down and buff out. Or you could probably still get the touch up off w/paint thinner but I'd study up on that too.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:59 AM   #3
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
+1 on using laquer thinner. Apply it by a q-tip.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Wet sand with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, then 3000 grit. Compound buff and polish.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I did find this stuff "Langka: Paint Touch-Up Blob Eliminator" which seems to be what I need to do. Not sure though.

joe...
Old 09-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Wet sand with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, then 3000 grit. Compound buff and polish.
I would preface that with the warning that if you are not familiar with and experienced in wet sanding, I would maybe leave that to those that are experienced. The clear coat on these cars is so damned thin that getting a little too heavy handed with the sand paper can lead to severe disappointment and depression.

I have wet sanded bird dropping etchings on my Camaro hood, but I will admit it was a nerve wracking experience. It came out ok but I was so worried about burning through the clear that the end result was not as perfect as I was hoping.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I've used the Langka on two hood scratches through the paint and I didn't really get the difference between that and touch up paint. I tried following instructions but it looked just like touch up paint in the end. I ended up getting it filled and painted by a mobile paint guy. Cost extra but job looked great. I can sell you my Langka kit cheap if you like (kidding). Hopefully you get better results than I did.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
get remnants off with lacquer thinner usually immediately......
Old 09-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Sometimes it’s better to just live with a scratch that’s barely noticeable than take on a chance if you don’t have experience with paint and body of attempting to fix it. Seen this so many times. Paint pens are never gonna give you a fixed look. They will only assist in getting protection back on but always will look cheesy. The best way without getting into full detail of how to is to wet sand, airbrush in the missing paint, clear coat blend, wet sand then buff and polish. Only way to really make it disappear.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #10
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
White is the easiest to repair. Your best bet is to wet sand it with 2500 and use soap
and water. The clear coat from the factory is thin but a very hard type coat of clear. Go slow, then wipe with a dry microfiber and check the progress. Keep going back and forth wet sanding and then checking progress. You just want to knock things down a slight bit and won’t take much to get there. Go get a good airbrush kit with a pump to. You can use the paint pens color match paint in the airbrush. Just cut open and put the paint in a separate container etc. put some paint in airbrush. Mask off around the scratch with tape so you can do a build up of layers of paint in the focused area. Spray just outside the scratch area as well. After you achieve a good build up with slow layers you remove the masked area. Go back to wet sand process to knock it down and make flush. Your scratch will be filled in and now even with the other surface finish. If you didn’t need to cut to deep from the wet sand process then you won’t need to use any clear coat. Go right to buffing then polishing and you should have the scratch gone completely and body gloss back to normal. SLOW is the key to success when fixing any paint and body issues.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I'm PPG certified. If you have never done wet sanding and polishing now is not the time to start learning. Paint edges burn fast.
Bring it to a professional. They can also fill the rest of the scratch and blend in some clear coat for a pretty decent touch up job without spraying the entire door or panel.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i had a huge ding the size of a half dollar fixed on my door that had a large dime sized paint chip.
this is basically what it cost me labor for r+r door card,r+r door handle,r+r mirror and window scraper and paint=450 bucks.
great body shops don't come cheap looks like new.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #13
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
If you want to remove touch-up paint, grab some isopropyl alcohol and saturate the touch-up paint with a rag. You should be able to easily remove all of it and start again.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote